PDA

View Full Version : How do i get the timing all lined up correctly?

Saxo_Sx_Craig
30th October 2007, 10:37
Hey

basicaly my head gasket blew about a week ago and since then i have had the head skimmed, crack tested and all the valves checked over.

We have put the head back on with all the new gaskets fitted and the car struggles to start and when it does its realy bitty and there some small backfire. we are convinced that we must have not reset the timing correctly!

Does anyone have any tips or know what marking we should be loooking to line up with on my saxo 1.1?

Thanks

pug205gti87
30th October 2007, 21:03
i think you need the timing pins that go in the cam pulley and crank pulley. i will check at work tomorrow. how did you time it up?

pepper953
30th October 2007, 22:31
yep ya need the pins to do it properly

Saxo_Sx_Craig
31st October 2007, 11:50
well my dad did it and i just watched because i dont realy know what im looking at! but as far as i know he lined up the marking for the pin on the top cog when the pistons were top dead centre but it doesnt seem to be working... we did it once and tryed it then found out that it was 3 notches out and then tryed playing about with it and it got better then worse.

were realy stuck and need a guide or some expert tips :D

Saxo_Sx_Craig
31st October 2007, 11:56
thanks though

Joesnow
31st October 2007, 16:31
Probably a bit late to say this but personally I would have marked it up so that it was exactly the same when I put it back on… if you’ve had the head skimmed are you using a thicker head gasket to compensate? Did you crank it over by hand before you tried to start it to make sure any valves didn’t clash? Maybe you’ve bent some valves?