PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass help

coolguydudeman
20th July 2005, 23:33
planning on building a boot build soon, i need some help on what i can use.

i know i need to make a wooden frame, then put some material over the top to make the shape (please suggest a good material) now the step by step pictures ive seen are the material been soaked with fibreglass resin, although it doesnt seem asif they apply any glass matting or anything, so i think its resin already mixed with the fibreglass, am i correct?

could anyone tell me what it is called so i can get the right stuff, or suggest otherwise.

cheers!

Scott
21st July 2005, 03:16
good material is anything a little thick that can soak up a decent amount of resin, anything from an old tshirt to some light fleece.

Resin: you get two parts, the actual resin and hardner, you mix the two according to the instructions and it hardens over tim.

Wooden frame, material on top, resin the material, then you lay the matting and resin that thouroghly. Depending on what your making will dictate the amount of layers of glass.

Good links:
tutorials (http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/)

Supplies (http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__FIBREGLASS_MAT___FABRICS_10.html)
though CFS are expensive for delivery so try to order as much as you can to make it worth while

matt_saxo
26th July 2005, 16:06
to fibreglass you need to staple your materail to your encloser making sure that it is tight and there is no crease.

mix up your resin with hardner then cover your encloser with it, but remember do not mix up to much resin because it will gel up on you in the cup you are using.

then you need to tear your fibreglass up about 2inches square then mix up more resin put some resin down where you want the fibreglass to go the resin over the top of the fibreglass, do this to the whole structure. for a boot built i would say do about 3-5 layers of fibreglass.

when it has all dryed you need to sand it to it has a key. use a electric sander.

then you need to mix up some body filler, again little at a time because it will begin to set before you have even put it on your encloser. then sand that down if it is not smooth you need to apply another layer. sand that entill you like what you have got then you have to spray it.

matt

krystal_ice
3rd August 2005, 14:59
Also for installs there is a product from select products, its a matting that you put between the layers of firbeglass that strenghten it. Using this you dont need many layers of firbreglass and its SO much stronger. Very highly recomemded. smileys/smiley4.gif

chrishimself
3rd August 2005, 15:22
Qucik question: Does any one know a website with a step by step guide on how to make custom boot installs?

Scott
3rd August 2005, 15:36
theres a link in my post up there^

chrishimself
3rd August 2005, 19:44
O yeah didn't see that. Cheers smileys/smiley17.gif