PDA

View Full Version : Community changes & server troubleshooting.

Simo
21st October 2008, 21:41
All,

For a number of weeks now myself and Mark have been trying to troubleshoot the semi-regular, momentary interuptions to server connectivity, which have been happening. We've had a few theories about what might be happening, but so far have been unable to prove anything.

The current server hardware is (on paper) much, much higher spec than should be required to handle the (rapidly) increasing demands of Saxperience, however we are NOT ruling out the fact that server hardware could be the issue!?

So, a systematic approach is going to be used to finally try to get to the bottom of the issues we are experiencing for a couple of 5-30 minute periods of the day. Between the stages, the situation will be monitored and non-problematic changes will be reverted, where appropriate.

Stage 1 - Adjust some additional server settings to reduce DB load. A peak load re-directing service has been initiated to refuse connections when load is VERY high... Hopefully this won't become a nuisance, if it does changes can be made, but this will also confirm a problem - COMPLETED this evening.

Stage 2 - Disable the Pager system.

I am fully aware this will NOT be a popular move, but the facts are that we have had to butcher the pager system to make it run anything remotely like efficiently AND the pager system has known issues - it should have actually been deleted approx. 12 months ago, but I didn't want to do this as I know how useful it is. Hopefully the pager system will prove NOT to be a problem, meaning it can be re-enabled. Be aware - the number of sites that this pager service has killed is large... its a useful, but horrible (from server side) add-on. COMPLETED this evening.

Stage 3 - De-bug VBExperience system and target slow DB queries.

Optimise VBExperience settings to reduce server load at peak times of day. COMPLE - this appears to have resolved the issue.

Stage 4 - Disable iTrader and Arcade systems, forum upgrade and DOS search.

I do not think these mod's will add significant load to the server, but this needs to be tested out. After stage 4 is complete, the community will be a pretty fresh VB install, with a few customisations thrown in. Further investigations into DOS attacks to be made. Forum upgrade to latest patch version to be performed.

Stage 5 - If we are still having connectivity issues after Stage 3 has been completed then an even more advanced server will be purchased with a DIFFERENT provider. The spec of the current server should be more than adequate... but time will tell. Switching to a new server will be a frustration and will be fairly involved, but we've been there before and we aren't afraid to go there again ;)

We should be at a Stage 4 decision point by this coming weekend.

Stage 6 - If after switching to the highest spec server the community can afford, there are still issues, then this will show the issue is NOT hardware related and is a complex coding/config issue, made more of an issue with increased user-load. At this point, its likely the main website will be disabled awaiting v4, and the forum and associated tools will live on... hopefully trouble free.

Stage 7 - Cry, stamp feet, sulk.

I don't think we'll get to stage 7 ;)

What Im effectively saying is that we WILL resolve this issue. We've always invested in top quality hardware to make sure we are over-spec'd and that has shown in the site performance we've enjoyed for many years.

Whilst we dont fully understand the issues YET... we will and things will return to normal, if not be even better than before. :A:

So, please bare with us (I know Ive said this for the last few weeks). You may have to go through some changes with features and functionality that you wont like... but we're on the same journey, together.

Lets see where we end up...

Simo

Ben
21st October 2008, 21:44
Noooo don't get rid of itrader! :(

saxowebby
21st October 2008, 21:48
DONT GET RID OF ITRADER, ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT.

rep has gone, thats whats causing it.

craig180
21st October 2008, 21:48
You lost me at the title, but please don't hit the reset button

Giggz
21st October 2008, 22:03
Think it would be worth keeping itrader as it does give a slight indication about people your buying or selling items to.

Simo
21st October 2008, 22:09
DONT GET RID OF ITRADER, ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT.

rep has gone, thats whats causing it.

Think it would be worth keeping itrader as it does give a slight indication about people your buying or selling items to.

Please read my post... IF iTrader is found to cause a server outage issue it will be removed. If it doesn't effect anything (which i suspect will be the case) it will come back.

Im not proposing to remove features I installed just because I want to? Im trying to resolve a bigger issue.

Agent-VIP
21st October 2008, 22:23
Wasn't trying to be a cock in the other thread, Simo, Btw.. if that's how it came accross (Saying how it was in your best interest to keep the site working fine).. I was simply explaining to SaxoDan, the case.

I have my own servers and have owned single websites in the past pushing 100,000 visitors a day.. and know the stresses of it.. oh boy =(

Hope everything gets fixed and all is working peachy anyways :)

Good luck with it

Simo
21st October 2008, 22:40
Wasn't trying to be a cock in the other thread, Simo, Btw.. if that's how it came accross (Saying how it was in your best interest to keep the site working fine).. I was simply explaining to SaxoDan, the case.

I have my own servers and have owned single websites in the past pushing 100,000 visitors a day.. and know the stresses of it.. oh boy =(

Hope everything gets fixed and all is working peachy anyways :)

Good luck with it

I didnt read your comments as being arsey... but I wanted to clarify to everyone that things ARE being done... I just dont always have the time to post about it.

Im heading on a plane to Germany in 5 hours on business... hope the server hangs on in there ;)

Luke
22nd October 2008, 10:53
Not sure what thread to use, but got the DB Error twice today.

Robb
22nd October 2008, 14:57
Theres been so many recently. Like at all times of day. Database errors, logging out. Been really poor recently.

Usually I like to add some constructive criticism but I dont have any lol...

Spanky
23rd October 2008, 15:34
Just want to clear somthing up here.

If you take I-Trader off to see if it causes a problem, and it doesn't, when you put it bck on will all our I-Trader scores stil be the same....... or not??

Simo
23rd October 2008, 18:54
Just want to clear somthing up here.

If you take I-Trader off to see if it causes a problem, and it doesn't, when you put it bck on will all our I-Trader scores stil be the same....... or not??

They will still be the same...

Ive been in Germany since Tuesday night so havent been able to logon until now...

Have there been server issues since Wednesday morning????

Steve
23rd October 2008, 19:10
They will still be the same...

Ive been in Germany since Tuesday night so havent been able to logon until now...

Have there been server issues since Wednesday morning????

you better not have had a sly trip to nurburgring.

Its been playing up non stop mate. :n:

craig180
23rd October 2008, 20:23
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!11111

What's going on? I just had to kill 5 minutes while the server was busy!

Luke
24th October 2008, 07:58
Yeah, there has been a few database errors - but not as many.

Robb
24th October 2008, 08:01
yeh i got the 'server was busy' last night too...

rey
25th October 2008, 21:59
had it once today, but keeps going very slow aswell...

normally get a couple of errors a day!

NickB
30th October 2008, 01:02
must admit simo sax-p seems to have stabled up now buddy!

still not perfect but we have a vast improvement well done

Simo
30th October 2008, 02:13
had it once today, but keeps going very slow aswell...

normally get a couple of errors a day!

must admit simo sax-p seems to have stabled up now buddy!

still not perfect but we have a vast improvement well done

ZERO connection errors have been reported by the server for three days now, so if you are still seeing errors.. really, please post the text, which is shown in the error message.

Thanks
Simo

Giggz
30th October 2008, 09:27
Occasionally just get the VB database error page. Seems alot more stable then last week anyway Simo.

betty02
30th October 2008, 10:33
this because of vbpager?

smiith
30th October 2008, 21:28
i havnt had database error in a good week or so now i dont think :) things seem to be alright, just the odd slow post happening, but that could be at my end

Simo
6th November 2008, 10:31
Stage 2 - Disable the Pager system.

I am fully aware this will NOT be a popular move, but the facts are that we have had to butcher the pager system to make it run anything remotely like efficiently AND the pager system has known issues - it should have actually been deleted approx. 12 months ago, but I didn't want to do this as I know how useful it is. Hopefully the pager system will prove NOT to be a problem, meaning it can be re-enabled. Be aware - the number of sites that this pager service has killed is large... its a useful, but horrible (from server side) add-on. COMPLETED this evening.

All,

As the server has been running stable for over one week, since some changes were made, Ive decided to re-activate the Pager system for a load-trial.

There's no guarantees the Pager can stay, in part due to the security issues I mentioned, but it is a handy feature which I'd like to make use of if possible.

Simo

Amiee
6th November 2008, 12:13
Its one of the things I actually missed , alot tbh!

Glad its back fornow :y:

Peejous
6th November 2008, 12:24
I really dont use my premium membership to its full potential.

Luke
6th November 2008, 12:27
Hope it manages to stay, I prefer this especially with having the little icon next to peoples name as it's much quicker.

-Jason-
6th November 2008, 12:57
Glad the pager system is back.

Well done ;)