PDA

View Full Version : sony explod HU

hmuminovic
15th September 2005, 03:39
wot do you guys think of the sony explod HU? i got a tight budget for a cd player as i've jus bought alloys for ym car n gettin dem powder coated black and lowered nxt week? so the sony ones seem the best option for a £100 budget? but are they any good?

KAMENi
15th September 2005, 03:51
no
avoid sony if possible

rather buy used HU's than sony

Graeme
15th September 2005, 03:52
id have to agree matey stay away from sony!!

hmuminovic
15th September 2005, 05:41
so its a no then? wot other ones would you reccomend for £100?

KAMENi
15th September 2005, 14:46
better go for JVC
it's not expensive and it gives good sound

if you can spare 50ish£ more, you could get a pioneer like mine
DEH-P6700MP
it has a sub-out, LPF, HPF, MP3 decoder, ready for DAB. i think it's all you could ever want + it has a color-shifting display (10 colors available), but if you dont like that, you can stick to 1 of them
very good HU

roc_a_fella
15th September 2005, 14:50
ive never had any problems with sony headunits. imo theyve got a bad reputation for no reason

Graeme
15th September 2005, 14:54
i wouldnt say no reason!! when i had mine after 2 months it broke and only let my speakers on the right of my car have sound!! lol

so theres 1 reason to stay away!!!

stuartQPR1
15th September 2005, 14:57
alpine do some quite nice low budget head units

roc_a_fella
15th September 2005, 14:58
ive had 3 sony HU's and never had any problems with any of em. i guess i must just be lucky! smileys/smiley14.gif

Scott
15th September 2005, 15:43
its not a reputation for breaking down. Its a reputation for sub standard sound quality compared to the other brands.

I changed from a sony to an alpine many moons ago and the different in SQ was unbeleivable

pug_boe
15th September 2005, 17:04
i used to have a sony xplode - now im glad someone broke into my car and stole it lol i now got a JVC KD-SC601 MP3 CD player, its quite funky lights up pretty colours and you can change the backround card lol and it got a remote control - its good for what i want it for and only cost £150

JayWard
15th September 2005, 17:10
ive had 2 sont headunits and they have been fine for me! havent had any problems yet!

Yates
15th September 2005, 17:18
ive had 2 sony head units and never had a problem with them think they are great!

Scott
15th September 2005, 17:21
no one is saying there is a problem with them technically.

JayWard
15th September 2005, 17:22
ah rite u just mean sound quality then? tbh honest i think mine sounds pretty sweet but never had a different make so cant really comment!

KAMENi
15th September 2005, 17:23
try fitting another HU in your car, just to hear the difference smileys/smiley2.gif

JayWard
15th September 2005, 17:26
lol good excuse to buy a new one eh? ;)

SaxoAL
16th September 2005, 00:56
I've got a Sony in one of mine, mainly just for a bit of sound. I usually listen to the engine roar anyways.. smileys/smiley14.gif

JVC and Kenwood are doing some good offers at the mo. Keep an eye out for them.

RyanBeattie
16th September 2005, 01:06
at the end of the day u get what you pay for... i bought a pioneer DEH p9600mp for my gf's clio when they first came out and was amazed at sound quality... it was 600 quid...

have a slightly older pioneer myself and its not half as good as hers but compared to a lot of other units its bloody good

had a sony MD headunit a while back and it was a decent piece of kit... if you aint goin for competition sound then dont see why u shouldnt go for it.... the thing i always look for though when buying a HU is the amount of pre-outsfor running amps... as no point buying a headunit with only 1 pre-out that you're gonna have to replace in 3 months when u decide u want 2 amps

Scott
16th September 2005, 03:52
as no point buying a headunit with only 1 pre-out that you're gonna have to replace in 3 months when u decide u want 2 amps

you dont need anymore than one preout to run 2,3,4,5,6,7 etc... amps. Y-splitters.

KAMENi
16th September 2005, 04:04
its better if you can find a HU with sub-out so you can control it, but it's practicaly the same

RyanBeattie
16th September 2005, 04:25
as no point buying a headunit with only 1 pre-out that you're gonna have to replace in 3 months when u decide u want 2 amps

you dont need anymore than one preout to run 2,3,4,5,6,7 etc... amps. Y-splitters.

i wouldnt just use y splitters, the more u use the more the signal degrades(unless u buy a signal booster)... plus it means playing about with amp settings much more, as mentioned above its great having a sub control on a headunit... that way u turn the bass up, down etc without having to adjust amps...also as you get up the range and have different settings for different types of music it allows you more control at the touch of a button... i featured the kicker hummer for my site... the guy who drives it day in day out has 9-10 different pre-programmed settings... none of which would be possible with only 1 pre-out from the headunit...

thats my point.. if you're gonna be building on your system at a later date its better to plan ahead rather than having to replace stuff hence the need for more than 1 pre-out

RyanBeattie
16th September 2005, 04:30
p.s... the kicker hummer is an extreme example lol...

Scott
16th September 2005, 04:31
yup i agree but 99% of the market couldnt give two shits about settings, in fact i bet if 99% of the market were faced with settings they would disregard and amp there 6x9's and leave standard speakers in the doors. Its a bad worldsmileys/sad.gif

RyanBeattie
16th September 2005, 04:33
yup i agree but 99% of the market couldnt give two shits about settings, in fact i bet if 99% of the market were faced with settings they would disregard and amp there 6x9's and leave standard speakers in the doors. Its a bad worldsmileys/sad.gif

scott i think you just won comment of the day!!! smileys/smiley4.gif smileys/smiley4.gif smileys/smiley4.gif

VTaaRon
16th September 2005, 04:56
i always stick to sony headunits but dont touch explode speakers there called EXPLODE for a reason!!! i have a cdx-f7700 and found if you put the dso setting on 3 to project sound up from the speakers you cant get better i have (vibe) fly 150 watt door speakers (vibe) black hex 300 watt speakers on the back shelf and a 12inch vibe limited 1200watt sub fully enclosed for extra base running of a jenson amp sounds amazing car alarms think so to!!!

Scott
16th September 2005, 12:56
LMBO! © sax-p