PDA

View Full Version : SPAM-Bot control

Simo
24th December 2008, 09:51
Over the last 2 years, the amount of SPAM attacks via the internet has increased alarmingly. More recently and specifically since October 2008, the degree of forum-targeted spam abuse has shot through the roof.

Traditionally image verification has kept most automated spam scripts from registering and being able to post on forums. Once the spammers found a way to defeat those systems, more advanced image verification was developed utilising scanned words from real text books, which automatic spam-scripts CANNOT read. This system is known as Recaptcha (http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html) verification and has been utilised within the Saxperience community for a number of months.

More recently, spammers have been employing people in far-flung countries to manually read and de-code recaptcha codes and sell these on the spam-market. This has meant that automatic-script proof verification systems are becoming increasingly less useful!! http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081002-right-back-at-ya-captcha-bad-guys-crack-gmail-hotmail.html

Entire communities/services are now being setup to help to fight forum spam. http://www.stopforumspam.com/ What is this world coming to!?!

So, in the fight against spam-bots, today a series of questions & answer verifications has been implemented for the Saxperience community. I am aware this will be a little more troublesome for members to register, however if it helps to reduce the number of auto-register spam accounts, then its a step that must be taken.

This system is not fool proof... many spam-scripts request human assistance when errors are encountered, but Im confident this will significantly reduce the amount of spam registrations... atleast for the next few months... then the Spam-attackers will evolve, meaning more advanced spam prevention measures need to be dreamt up.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for improvement, please let me know.

Simo

bullit
24th December 2008, 10:14
like john for example

seriously, id ask what would be the point of spam registrating etc but i dont want to sound dumb?

evans1089
24th December 2008, 10:15
I hope this stops the people selling them stupid phones in every section of the forum :y:

Good work Simo!

Mark51
24th December 2008, 10:19
I hope this stops the people selling them stupid phones in every section of the forum :y:

Good work Simo!

if you see one of the obvious spam posts mate just hit the report button and it will be dealt with

Simo
24th December 2008, 10:34
like john for example

seriously, id ask what would be the point of spam registrating etc but i dont want to sound dumb?

You made yourself sound dumb by half asking :P lol

The main point of spam registreing is to boost the google page rank and popularity in other search engines of dodgy websites trying to sell 'crap'.

If they succeed... for example, if you search for a place to buy a Nokia N95, you wont be taken to Nokia's website... you'd be taken to some dodgy spam/virus infested black market website.

Some people do it for monetary gain... through people paying for link popularity. Some people do it just for the hell of it and to upset big companies such as hotmail, google, microsoft, etc.

Spreading links by forum posts is a very quick way to boost link popularity, as these type of sites see fresh content every day (or minute) and there are thousands of forums out there waiting to be abused. Yo uonlyhave to do a lookup for vbulletin, or phpbb and there you go, youve got yourself another potential victim.

Luke
24th December 2008, 10:41
Very good idea.

Will stop all the mobile phone crap we seemed to get a lot of the time.

Mochachino
24th December 2008, 11:57
dont do the obvious, what day comes after monday and what colour is the sky Q's n A's

Do what company makes a saxo, then when the africans get clever with knowing what day comes after monday they will have to work out who makes saxo's etc

samco77on
24th December 2008, 12:01
it is pretty stupid that it has come to all this. good on you for holding it at bay.

Ryan
24th December 2008, 14:58
dont do the obvious, what day comes after monday and what colour is the sky Q's n A's

Do what company makes a saxo, then when the africans get clever with knowing what day comes after monday they will have to work out who makes saxo's etc

dont worry we have allready discussed suitable Questions.

Mr_X
24th December 2008, 21:21
seems like a good move.

-Jason-
25th December 2008, 10:11
I haz 20 iphonez 4 salez i beet tha bot

On a more serious note sounds like a plan