PDA

View Full Version : Router solution for common PS3 connection errors.

Simo
23rd January 2009, 01:31
Ive seen lots and lots of people asking about fixes for PS3 connection issues, so I thought I'd post details of how I fixed this several months ago, for my setup and its been perfect ever since. I use a wired connection, but ive also used wireless from time to time too.

=========

To get it working reliably with some routers you need to assign a static ip address to your PS3, turn off upnp and set port forwarding on your router to allow PS3 to communicate openly without all of the plug 'n' play stuff causing disconnects all of the time.

All routers are slightly different, but these settings worked perfectly for me!!!

Source link... http://maikelv.be/blog/2007/10/27/ps3-and-linksys-wrt54g-the-solution-2/#more-9

In some cases the linksys wrt54g will reset ,and the network will crash, when a PS3 is trying to connect to the internet. This is because of the media server function. When you disable this function, it will work properly.
However, I really like streaming my media to my ps3 from my laptop, so I’ve been on a quest to find a better solution.
And I found it !

Read on to find out how.

First of all : you have to add a static IP adress to your PS3.

You can do this by selecting “manual” when prompted for “connection type”.
The IP adres I used is 192.168.1.108.
You can find your DNS adresses by using a PC. Click “Start”, and then click “Run” type “cmd” and press enter.
A command prompt will open. Type “ipconfig /all” and press enter. The prompt will output your computers IP adress (wich you don’t need), and the DNS servers. (which you do need)
Default router should be : 192.168.1.1
Leave all the other settings to their default settings.

Next, open your browser on your PC. Type “192.168.1.1″ (this is the std ip address to access your router admin page) in your adress bar and hit enter. You will be asked for a username & password. Fill in “admin” in the password field, and leave the username blank. (unless youve edited your login details for your router)
Click “applications & gaming”
Fill in these settings:

http://vibrantreality.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ports.jpg

And save your changes.
Now click the administration tab, and Disable UPnP.
Save again.

This should take care of the problem.

Shane213
23rd January 2009, 12:12
This a good guide, people can also look on wikipedia and sites like that to find more information about forwarding and static ips.

I would also like to point out that once you have assigned a ip address to your consolem you could place the consoles IP address on the into the routers DMZ (demilitarized zone) which will allow incoming and outgoing connections to your ps3, menaing you wont have to port forward. This is also a security risk as now it means the device using this IP address will no longer be protect by the routers firewall (dont really think a PS3 will need a firewall anyway).

I had to do this with my xbox 360 to get it to connection to the internet correctly and allow me to join and host games.