PDA

View Full Version : building sub boxes

jamcan1987
15th October 2005, 03:36
i have recently made two sub boxes for my 12" subs but it sounds shit. i am not sure why. i have sealed the box with no nails etc, but the sound still is not very good. is there a minimum amount of clearance needed from the back of the box to the speaker. please could someone explain. what would really help is if someone could provide me with any measurements to make the boxes from scratch, any size or shape and what to fill the boxes with foam, etc. this would be a great help

bear_westy
15th October 2005, 03:45
when you bought the subs they shud have came with instructions on the ideal box, worked via the displacment and stuff

jamcan1987
15th October 2005, 03:50
dont really know i bought them off my mates brother and he doesnt have anything as you described. they are two vibe subs if thats any help

Scott
15th October 2005, 04:03
search vibe website for correct enclosure size and remake

wideboy
15th October 2005, 04:18
use nice thick mdf too, none of this half arsed 10mm shit! u want a good inch or two!

jamcan1987
15th October 2005, 14:43
thanks for your help guys. whats this about filling the box with foam or pillow stuffing what does this achieve. i plan on making the boxes today so any little tips would be a great help smileys/smiley17.gif

Scott
15th October 2005, 14:54
it gives the sub the impression that the box is slightly larger than it is

bear_westy
15th October 2005, 17:01
2 inch mdf joe :S ...can you even buy that? lol

w_jd_w
15th October 2005, 22:25
my mdf is 18mm thick it does the job fine.putting wadding or pillow stuffing is to smooth the subs performance

reevesy_vtr
15th October 2005, 23:35
Dont put wadding or a pillow directly behind the sub as the hole that goes down the middle of a sub is there to keep it cool so if you cover it up the sub will blow. If you are running a big arse sub with loads of power you can set fire to wadding if you cover the pole piece.

wideboy
16th October 2005, 00:20
2 inch mdf joe :S ...can you even buy that? lol

course you can!

you can buy up to any thickness off mdf! its not made from timber, so even if you want a 4foot thick piece - you could manufacture it! Heavy as fuck though since its molecules are packed so tight

homebase etc have a good selection! (not up to 4foot mind u smileys/smiley2.gif )

bear_westy
16th October 2005, 00:23
lol knew it was manmade just didnt know you could get that thickess...always thought had to bond 2 sheets together smileys/smiley4.gif

learn summit new everyday smileys/smiley17.gif