PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 VTR block/1.4 xsi head

chris_walker
31st March 2009, 12:30
I've a 1999 1.6 vtr and the head is completely done. I've a 1993 xsi head from a previous car and was wondering if it would fit onto the vtr block. Also is the vtr block cast iron or alloy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

vtr_chris90
31st March 2009, 23:28
hi mate

the xsi head will fit on your bottom, i have a 98 vtr and im putting a rallye head on mine, so your engine is same as mine, so it will defo fit dude, as for bottom end i really cant remember which it is lol haha sorry

but i hope the head advice helps

frankie
31st March 2009, 23:30
the xsi head are different to the rallye head's chris....

but yea will fit.

missed out on a xsi head on the bay, outbidded by 20p......:(

vtr_chris90
31st March 2009, 23:38
yer i know they are, rallye heads have a different cam i think, was on rallye reg the other day someone stated what cam was in which head,

but they will still fit lol

ahhh thats gay hahaha unlucky

from what ive heard the rallye heads have slight better porting tooo, so have a look for one of them mate, if you can find one lol

frankie
31st March 2009, 23:50
im just looking for a rallye lol

vtr_chris90
31st March 2009, 23:58
lol they are quite hard to find i think, you looked on rallye reg, ive seen a few s1 bits on there recently, inlets mostly, but may be a head knocking about, theres a full engine on there i think, you could always buy that then just sell what you dont need on lol cause its bout 200 for whole engine i think, butt it may have sold as it was about a good week ago i think

i dropped lucky with mine i think

you want a 1.4xsi box tooo man, best mod ive done so far imo the difference is imense

frankie
1st April 2009, 00:05
seen an inlet on the bay go for £120 :o

vtr_chris90
1st April 2009, 00:08
really thats mad lol

haha some people pay stupid money for them, some one wanted like 70quid for the inlet and body and all sensors on rallye reg the other day lol, they done half have some bargains on there lol

lewza
1st April 2009, 08:12
Whats the difference in using the Rallye or XSI head on the VTR bottom end?

chris_walker
1st April 2009, 08:51
Thanks for all the help I 'm gonna split the vtr head off the block tonight so i'll find out then if the block is alloy or cast iron. Just wanted some info before i bothered.

Cheers for all the help and if I'va any other questions you'll be hearing from me again

vtr_chris90
1st April 2009, 14:05
Whats the difference in using the Rallye or XSI head on the VTR bottom end?

erm well they have cams in with different durations thats all really erm this is partly how they make a slight better power figure as standard then cause of the cam theres different air fuel ratios etc so it just helps a bit, erm also with the s1 rallye inlet ive been told it has better port sizing and is meant to flow alot better, they are only miner upgrades though, would go well with the s1 inlet if upgrading to that too,

i hope this has helped, i may have missed something aswell cant remember what though, so some one feel free to adapt on what ive said

Thanks for all the help I 'm gonna split the vtr head off the block tonight so i'll find out then if the block is alloy or cast iron. Just wanted some info before i bothered.

Cheers for all the help and if I'va any other questions you'll be hearing from me again

ahh haa yer man, you should be able to tell then, but yer drop me a pm if you need any other help, or just post on here im sure someone else will be gald to help

DA13
1st April 2009, 15:14
[QUOTE=vtr_chris90;3158090]erm well they have cams in with different durations thats all really erm this is partly how they make a slight better power figure as standard then cause of the cam theres different air fuel ratios etc so it just helps a bit, erm also with the s1 rallye inlet ive been told it has better port sizing and is meant to flow alot better, they are only miner upgrades though, would go well with the s1 inlet if upgrading to that too,

yeah the cam has a slightly higher lift, think its 0.3mm if i can remember rightly and the fact that you can fit the s1 inlet with the port spacings will give a little extra power over the vtr head. appart from that the valve sizes are the same and and the head in genral is the same. thts why the 1.4 xsi and 1.3 rallye simalar bhp as the head is the same as the 1.6 8v. is the rallye ecu rev limiter set at 7200 rpm?

vtr_chris90
1st April 2009, 23:28
[QUOTE=vtr_chris90;3158090]erm well they have cams in with different durations thats all really erm this is partly how they make a slight better power figure as standard then cause of the cam theres different air fuel ratios etc so it just helps a bit, erm also with the s1 rallye inlet ive been told it has better port sizing and is meant to flow alot better, they are only miner upgrades though, would go well with the s1 inlet if upgrading to that too,

yeah the cam has a slightly higher lift, think its 0.3mm if i can remember rightly and the fact that you can fit the s1 inlet with the port spacings will give a little extra power over the vtr head. appart from that the valve sizes are the same and and the head in genral is the same. thts why the 1.4 xsi and 1.3 rallye simalar bhp as the head is the same as the 1.6 8v. is the rallye ecu rev limiter set at 7200 rpm?

ahh with the rallye head it acutally uses different valves, i think it is the inlet ones are oversized as standard, as i found out the hard when when having to buy new ones for my s1 rallye head as it cost me a fortune lol

but yes they are set at 7200rpm, most 106's are set at this, well xsi's rallye's and gti's not sure about other 106's though like xs etc

AXracing
2nd April 2009, 07:59
106 xsi 1.4 106 xsi 1.6, 106 1.6 Rallye, AX GTI 1.4 Saxo 1.6 Black top are all the same head and valve assembly. Any of these heads are brilliant to use as a basis as they are cheap, redly available and very good to get great power from

106 1.3 Rallye uses the same valve assembly (same valves, springs, caps and rockers as above) and a similar head casting but its not quite the same. The head casting it self is not quite so good at flowing in stock trim marginal. These are not so good to start with as they are getting rare, are way over priced and are no better.

AX 1.3 Sport and 205 1.3 Rallye bot have a totally different head to the rest with very different valve setup. They are considerably inferior to the later design. These are very rare these days and good ones you will pay a small fortune. Not really worth looking at for the most part.

DA13
2nd April 2009, 10:30
ahhh right i see, my bad then lol. if the 1.4 xsi/rallye head and the silvertop vtr head(98bhp) were to have headwork in the form of big valve head, would the outcome be the same on both heads? could the oversized standard inlet valves on the rallye head be made any bigger than the vtr's after this form of headwork or are they both restricted to the same diameter?

AXracing
2nd April 2009, 12:20
Good question and to be honest I could not tell you. With the black top engines its the engine bore that is the biggest limiting factor. Generally the first problem you get with the late engines are the valve springs are far to soft for anything but the mildest cam. Next stop is the rockers rim them self apart. After that you start getting issues with the combustion chamber shape. I never went past that as its a lot of work to start tig welding chambers up and then cutting new ones.

vtr_chris90
2nd April 2009, 18:34
106 xsi 1.4 106 xsi 1.6, 106 1.6 Rallye, AX GTI 1.4 Saxo 1.6 Black top are all the same head and valve assembly. Any of these heads are brilliant to use as a basis as they are cheap, redly available and very good to get great power from

106 1.3 Rallye uses the same valve assembly (same valves, springs, caps and rockers as above) and a similar head casting but its not quite the same. The head casting it self is not quite so good at flowing in stock trim marginal. These are not so good to start with as they are getting rare, are way over priced and are no better.

AX 1.3 Sport and 205 1.3 Rallye bot have a totally different head to the rest with very different valve setup. They are considerably inferior to the later design. These are very rare these days and good ones you will pay a small fortune. Not really worth looking at for the most part.

ahhh i didnt realise that, i was just told by someone else that the 1.3rallye heads were different and had different valves, although for the valves they were a considerable amount more than say the valves for a vtr, is this just due to there not being many made for them?

but atleast now i know lol

DaN90
2nd April 2009, 18:57
btw what does the average vtr rev too?? and i though that the vtr block was iron :-)

vtr_chris90
2nd April 2009, 19:04
revs to 6200 mate

rallyes/xsi rev to 7200

carlos_xsi
12th April 2009, 15:51
what head gasket would you guys use to match the vtr bottom and xsi head?

vtr_chris90
12th April 2009, 22:51
they both use the same gaskets mate, so either will fit