PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Saxo Back from its MOT ... Not Good

CraigyG87
20th September 2009, 15:21
Hi I bought a Saxo VTS last month , one of the Spark plug holes needed re-threading so i did that and took it in for an MOT on Friday. It failed on lots of things most of them are easy to sort out but theres a few things im unsure of and was just wondering if anybody on here could give me some advice.

The car failed on the following :

*Both rear brake discs excessivively pitted
*Passenger side wing mirror insecure
*Nearside front (lower arm mount) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
*Offside front (lower arm mount) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
*Offside front lower front suspension has excesive play in a lower suspension ball joint
*Car overheated (fan not working)
*Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encroaching into the swept area by more than 40mm outside zone A
*Anti-lock braking system warning lamp is missing
*(rear ABS sensors missing) Anti-lock braking system warning lamp does not illuminate

Also on the advisory it mentions

CO 8% + HC 500+ lambda .8 cat removed , oxygen sensor removed

JUst a few questions im unsure of and if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. The bloke at the garage has given me a quote of £80 for the welding is this a reasonablee price ? The ABS sensors are missing is there a reason why these get removed ? and does anybody know how the ABS is checked for example does it need to be working for the MOT or have a failed purely because it has no sensors. The last thing im unsure of is at the garage they said that they have not carried out an emissions test but it would fail because it has go no lambda sensor in it and no cat, ive checked and there is a lambda sensor in it the wire had been cut though so i re-connected them , the next problem is the cat i have no idea why cats are removed , is this going to fail my car on its emmisions test ? All I know about the exhaust is that i have a receipt for a scorpian exhaust , its also got a K&N induction kit.

Pic of the car below incase anybody knows any history about it and could let me know . cheers.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=8287977&id=666555133

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=8287979&id=666555133

pepper953
20th September 2009, 19:02
you will need to put a cat back on,
to get the exhaust to pass.
new bulb in dash for abs warning
new/second hand sensors for rear should cure the prob there(poss vtr axle fitted)
basll joint cost less than a tenner, need a press to fit though.
£80 sounds ok to weld your car up

Asherz86
21st September 2009, 10:30
take it to a dodgy garage and get a mate to do the m.o.t will pass everytime (y) tis what i do with my bike saves changing over exhausts putting mirrors and all sorts back on

WheresMeNuts
21st September 2009, 10:40
take it to a dodgy garage and get a mate to do the m.o.t will pass everytime (y) tis what i do with my bike saves changing over exhausts putting mirrors and all sorts back on

Yer & when you hit a kid you can just drive away from the Crime :n:

CraigyG87
21st September 2009, 19:36
you will need to put a cat back on,
to get the exhaust to pass.
new bulb in dash for abs warning
new/second hand sensors for rear should cure the prob there(poss vtr axle fitted)
basll joint cost less than a tenner, need a press to fit though.
£80 sounds ok to weld your car up

Cheers , at least i have an idea of what to do now

XStephyX
22nd September 2009, 01:32
a faulty lambda sensor causes ur car 2 run 2 rich on petrol which wud make it seem like it's got lots of power and can also make it run too lean this happened 2 my boy.f zetec s been told it can mess up the engine im suprised the engine management light hasn't been on if u said the wire 2 it has been cut?.Will need2 get acat bk on 4 it 2 pass the mot previous owner must have put a d-cat pipe put on it. £80 is a decent price for the welding comsidering most garages charge £40+ per hour labour charges. U buy it from a garage or private sale?.

Mochachino
22nd September 2009, 09:24
The welding is an ok price.

Sounds like the car has had a replacement rear beam that was off an ABS car and fitted to your car that dosent have ABS, so even if u fitted ABS sensors they would do fuck all as your car hasnt got ABS.

You will need to put a cat' back into the exhaust system for it to have any chance of passing emmisions. Check the wires on the Lambda if your got it conected up but the garage is saying its dissconnected.

CraigyG87
22nd September 2009, 21:18
a faulty lambda sensor causes ur car 2 run 2 rich on petrol which wud make it seem like it's got lots of power and can also make it run too lean this happened 2 my boy.f zetec s been told it can mess up the engine im suprised the engine management light hasn't been on if u said the wire 2 it has been cut?.Will need2 get acat bk on 4 it 2 pass the mot previous owner must have put a d-cat pipe put on it. £80 is a decent price for the welding comsidering most garages charge £40+ per hour labour charges. U buy it from a garage or private sale?.

Private , to be fair i suppose i should of checked the cat when i bought it but the thought didnt cross my mind , the abs is a pain though

citroen_saxo_vtr
23rd September 2009, 04:59
Thats a harsh mot man!

shayne_vtr
23rd September 2009, 16:40
i need welding on mine but its the rear arches that are coming away from the boot floor so a new sheet metal boot floor shal be in soon 80 sounds bob on mate

CraigyG87
23rd September 2009, 18:55
Thats a harsh mot man!

lol you should see what else its failed on ... its got 1 custom window wiper they say i gotta have to wipers and ive got to remove a sticker from my windscreen ... also i need new hubs as someone has put hubs on that dont support abs all this for a crappy mot lol

CraigyG87
23rd September 2009, 19:06
haha ive had an idea i could just take the rest of the abs out and then they cant test it :-)