PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new phone

TomBob
8th May 2010, 17:22
Well I am going to be buying myself a new phone in about a months time. I'm currently on a sim only deal with vodafone and don't really want to go on contract as I'll be tied down, although I am considering it. Would be nice to get it from the shops but will probably be ebay as it's cheaper. :) Don't really wanna spend more than 100ish as well.

Here are some phones I was thinking about:
1. Samsung Tocco Ultra
2. Samsung Jet
3. Nokia 5800
4. Nokia 5530
5. Samsung Monte
6. Samsung Wave*
7. BlackBerry Bold 9700*
8. Nokia X6*
9. My mum's old iPhone 3G

The ones marked with (*) are only really doable on contract. What are everyones thoughts? Any more suggestions?

-Alex-
9th May 2010, 08:01
Contracts are good depending on how much credit you use per month, I used to spend upto £60 credit a month so it was a no brainer for me to get a contract phone, and with companies out doing each other these days fantastic deals are to be had, considering contracts come from as little cash £20 with the handset and unlimited texts and 100 minutes, these deals are usually via "3". If i was to buy a phone out of contract I would get the Tocco Ultra I had it as a replacement to my c905 when it went tits up, really nice looking phone, never had a problem with it. Probably the best phone I've had when it came down to sturdyness, it has been dropped that many times on the piss up and I work in construction so got a battering then, it still works perfect, bar from the scratches. The only gripe I had was grit got stuck in between the sliding mechanism and it scratched the blue finish, on the back on the handset.

TomBob
9th May 2010, 10:07
I'm on a sim only deal atm where I get 300 mins and unlimited texts for 15 a month. I like it cos I can cancel whenever I want and change my phone whenever, but I actually have to buy the phone which is the downside. Plus I can only really be with Vodafone or O2 as I live in a village :homme: May get myself a proper contract at a later date but I'd like to stay sim only for now.

What's the tocco ultra like as a phone? In other words what's it like to text on and use as a phone? I do like samsungs but sometimes they can be an arse to use.

Thanks

-Alex-
9th May 2010, 11:00
I'm on a sim only deal atm where I get 300 mins and unlimited texts for 15 a month. I like it cos I can cancel whenever I want and change my phone whenever, but I actually have to buy the phone which is the downside. Plus I can only really be with Vodafone or O2 as I live in a village :homme: May get myself a proper contract at a later date but I'd like to stay sim only for now.

What's the tocco ultra like as a phone? In other words what's it like to text on and use as a phone? I do like samsungs but sometimes they can be an arse to use.

Thanks

I love it to text with, with it being a hybrid phone you can use the touch screen or the actually buttons, I always found myself using the keyboard though as it was a bit fidly with the screen being small and my thumbs being big. Using it is great, I used it for roughly 12 months without a problem, pictures are good...if you have a steady hand lol. When on the phone the volume is nice and loud so you can easily hear what people are saying, even in busy pubs ect :)

TomBob
9th May 2010, 17:05
Pretty temped to get one now. They go for under 100 quid on ebay. Never had any problems with Samsungs, apart from some being a bit difficult to use, but I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to do. Can't get it yet as I can't afford it. :(

Does it ever lag at all? Some of the ones on youtube do :/

TomBob
15th May 2010, 16:49
Any other suggestions? Still stuck on what to get :(

saxypink
17th May 2010, 07:40
wait a month and get the new HTC EVO it suppose to be better then the new iphone that comes out just after it.....

TomBob
17th May 2010, 19:38
Will be too expensive for me :(

reevesy_vtr
18th May 2010, 17:12
wait a month and get the new HTC EVO it suppose to be better then the new iphone that comes out just after it.....

i had a look at the htc evo and it has got me thinking.... I am going to wait to see how much it will be.

TomBob
23rd May 2010, 08:32
Bump...

reevesy_vtr
23rd May 2010, 17:08
defo get your mums old iphone and get a £15 a month contract for it. I am waiting to see what t mobile say about the htc evo befor i make my choice.

Predator_R32
23rd May 2010, 17:55
Blackberry

PJN
23rd May 2010, 23:33
i had a look at the htc evo and it has got me thinking.... I am going to wait to see how much it will be.

I thought the HTC Evo was for Sprint in America, and therefore useless outside of the US?

TomBob
24th May 2010, 18:29
defo get your mums old iphone and get a £15 a month contract for it. I am waiting to see what t mobile say about the htc evo befor i make my choice.

Well I'm leaning towards the Nokia 5800, Nokia X6, Samsung Jet, Samsung Tocco Ultra and the Samsung Monte now.

I have an iPod touch and tbh don't know if I want an iPhone.

TomBob
25th May 2010, 19:55
Played with an X6 today and I really want one now :) But I'd have to get it on contract and I'm not sure about getting one, especially as it would be a 2 year one :/

Just need to play with a Jet now. Think I'd prefer an X6 though but I don't know about getting a contract.

TomBob
30th May 2010, 10:38
After having a good look round the shops yesterday I think the best thing to do is to get my mum's old iPhone 3G when she upgrades next month to the 4G. The iPhone seems to have everything I want.

I haven't totally made my mind up yet though. I currently have an iPod Touch that I've only bought a few months ago and I'm still not sure if I fancy something different to the iPhone.