PDA

View Full Version : Itunes FAIL

Rudpud
9th August 2010, 23:31
Anyone else find that it is shit at RANDOMIZING? I just updated my library and it isnt being very random lol

nicole_
9th August 2010, 23:34
technically it cant be random, cus its programmed, its not like picking a name out of a hat

haz_pro
9th August 2010, 23:37
Technically its not actually called "randomizing" in iTunes, its called shuffle.

Itunes does this well IMO, it may play similar songs/songs from the same artist, but it wont play a song twice until it has played through your entire music collection.

Rudpud
9th August 2010, 23:45
Okay sorry guys for using the wrong words:homme:

iTunes doesn't shuffle very well imo.... Your right it doesnt play a song more than once, well not very often but it does like to choose songs next to each other in the list

haz_pro
9th August 2010, 23:53
Okay sorry guys for using the wrong words:homme:

iTunes doesn't shuffle very well imo.... Your right it doesnt play a song more than once, well not very often but it does like to choose songs next to each other in the list

Yeah i agree it sometimes plays songs which would be next to eachother any way, but it never plays the same song twice, if you look at how it plays the songs it literally shuffles them. It would only play the same song twice if you had a copy of the same song.

timmythechef
9th August 2010, 23:58
think this thread is more of a fail than itunes, i do enjoy a cheeky shuffle if im honest

Viper
10th August 2010, 00:16
technically it cant be random, cus its programmed, its not like picking a name out of a hat

Ahh but it can.

If you go on Microsoft Excel, it can pick out random numbers. There will be no logic to what is chosen :y:

iTunes will obviously play more of a band you have the most music off. So mine would favour Metallica and Rammstein for example...

ajdsaxo
10th August 2010, 00:36
theoretically, picking names out of a hat ISNT randomising. as the individual is still choosing the outcome :P as said, number generators on excel are best.

Back on topic. i use shuffle on my ipod quite alot and find it useless, quite often plays the same song twice which is quite wierd as i dont have any doubles!! Have now taken it off shuffle so i know which track i want to have on :)

nicole_
10th August 2010, 08:53
Ahh but it can.

If you go on Microsoft Excel, it can pick out random numbers. There will be no logic to what is chosen :y:

but its gotta be programmed to be random, so surely its programming will have to tell it what random is?

haz_pro
10th August 2010, 09:06
but its gotta be programmed to be random, so surely its programming will have to tell it what random is?

As far as I know this is right, when I was writing basic programs at the begining of University and was using the random function in java to create a list, i would get the same list every time IIRC.

MJ05LLY
10th August 2010, 12:12
Ahh but it can.

iTunes will obviously play more of a band you have the most music off. So mine would favour Metallica and Rammstein for example...

The excel randomising for numbers is called "pseudo-random number algorithms"
basically a mathematical formula is used.
I used to make and use these for plc programming at work. That way is the most common way used for computers and programs, but their are others
"atmospheric noise" is another and some more which i cant remember, boring coll stuffs