PDA

View Full Version : difference between 45 and 50 profile tyres

readie
26th September 2010, 23:02
whats the difference? as i have 45's at the moment but 50's you can get more brands in and are cheaper per tyre

what are the differences between the two?

cheers

Tontsy
26th September 2010, 23:04
5% . . .

thats pretty much it! unless you are a hardcore driver, who will notice the difference in responce, handling, and ride comfort...which tbh, wont be noticable to pretty much anyone using it on a road car, or who isnt an F1 driver.

Bedford126
27th September 2010, 00:04
45 and 50 isnt 5% its just the side wall is 5mm taller in the 50 than 45 and any one can tell the difference as you feel more when driving down the road aswell as side wall flex on corners. The 45 are better for harsh driving and the 50's are better for motorway/town driving

Rudewolf
27th September 2010, 06:52
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This may be a useful link for tyre size differences

williamsvts
27th September 2010, 07:26
45 and 50 isnt 5% its just the side wall is 5mm taller in the 50 than 45 and any one can tell the difference as you feel more when driving down the road aswell as side wall flex on corners. The 45 are better for harsh driving and the 50's are better for motorway/town driving

got that 1 wrong, the 45 and 50 is a percentage of the width, so the difference between 45 and 50 profiles is 5% of the width.

AXracing
27th September 2010, 07:31
As tonto says the number is simply a %

Lewis1600
27th September 2010, 07:45
The 5%.... not much difference Tbh....

Slammed_Posi_Vtr
27th September 2010, 07:59
got that 1 wrong, the 45 and 50 is a percentage of the width, so the difference between 45 and 50 profiles is 5% of the width.

Correct, its the aspect ratio of the tyre - the size (height) of the tyre wall compared to the width of the tyre.

Rudewolf
27th September 2010, 08:37
How much acceleration will be lost by using a higher aspect tyre.

Tontsy
27th September 2010, 08:38

you thick cunt! before you try making me look like a twat, i fit thousands of tyres a week!

profile / sidewall is a % of the width of a tyre!

so again, its 5%...prick.

but as i said, you wont notice a difference...

Quick
27th September 2010, 08:56
5% of 195mm is 9.75mm.

Is a reasonable difference!

johnnyg_vts
27th September 2010, 11:37
45 and 50 (in the original posters question) is the sidewall height.

the lower the number, the smaller (shorter) the sidewall, and the lower the profile of the tyre is.

Mikol
27th September 2010, 12:52
tonto_VTR has ended this thread. It's a percentage of the width.

Bedford126
27th September 2010, 14:45
you thick cunt! before you try making me look like a twat, i fit thousands of tyres a week!

profile / sidewall is a % of the width of a tyre!

so again, its 5%...prick.

but as i said, you wont notice a difference...

lol im a THICK CUNT u fit thousand tyres a week and call people thick cunts on the net want to start looking in the mirror mate dnt take a genious to fit tyres .......................... pathetic

Manu
27th September 2010, 14:53
^^^ bwahahahaha. Noooooooo button, click here and press when in dire situations (http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/)

SAM-S44MDS-
27th September 2010, 14:55
lol im a THICK CUNT u fit thousand tyres a week and call people thick cunts on the net want to start looking in the mirror mate dnt take a genious to fit tyres .......................... pathetic

Tbh no need for comments like that is ther?
He fits tires...so what, its a job. What do you do?

A lad asked a question, tonto answered with the correct answer...you then tried to correct tonto and got it wrong, and you are now throwing a bitch fit because he proved you wrong. So well done :clapping:

Just chill out its the internet ffs

Tontsy
27th September 2010, 15:20
Tbh no need for comments like that is ther?
He fits tires...so what, its a job. What do you do?

A lad asked a question, tonto answered with the correct answer...you then tried to correct tonto and got it wrong, and you are now throwing a bitch fit because he proved you wrong. So well done :clapping:

Just chill out its the internet ffs

Lolls, that made me lol...

If i get something wrong and someone proves me wrong, ill accept it.
Shame we cant say that about everyone, who thinks they have to be right every time!

I hate knob heads.

SAM-S44MDS-
27th September 2010, 15:24
Lolls, that made me lol...

If i get something wrong and someone proves me wrong, ill accept it.
Shame we cant say that about everyone, who thinks they have to be right every time!

I hate knob heads.

Glad someone found it amusing :A:

I'm the same...if im wrong, ill hold my hand up and say yep, I fucked up and you proved me wrong...only way you will learn imo

but tbh there really was no reason for his little outburst :wall:

chinkostu
27th September 2010, 20:04
i always thought it was the height in mm or something. % makes more sense though

:(

f13sta
29th September 2010, 17:55
as has been sad the 45 profile is 40% of the width of the tyre e.g 40% of 195 or a 50 profile is say 50% of 195 HOWEVER if you get a higher profile tyre e.g go from 45 to 50 but keep the 195 then it will increase your rolling radius affecting acceration. top speed and fule economey. so in an ideal world if you want to increase the profile of your tyre you need to reduce the width.