PDA

View Full Version : Important! : Rubbing noise?

littleblue1
7th October 2010, 16:04
Basically, driving down the m25 the other day , a sort of rubbing/ grinding noise appeared from front offside, noise seems to stop as soon as u give it throttle and also stops when you turn left:geek:. Got a few ideas, wheel bearing? driveshaft gaitors? any help appreciated as its doing my nut in !:wall:

Flatarch
7th October 2010, 16:14
Get the monkeys out the car :)

sketchy123
8th October 2010, 06:56
i got same problem on my saxo but its near side

hammy105
8th October 2010, 17:11
cud possibly be driveshaft, jack it up and see if the the gaitor has split. Or maybe wheel bearing as said, get ben or his mate to have a look, if not i can have a look at some point nxt week if needs be.

littleblue1
9th October 2010, 09:25
cud possibly be driveshaft, jack it up and see if the the gaitor has split. Or maybe wheel bearing as said, get ben or his mate to have a look, if not i can have a look at some point nxt week if needs be.

i know gaitors have split but doesn't sound like that sort of noise to me , will get them sorted first though and if noise is still there then ill let some 1 else have a look, cheers:afro:

LVC
16th November 2010, 12:42
Had a similar problem last night and spoke to my mechanic friend today and he reckons it's the small metal plate protecting the end of the steering bar - this can come a bit loose and rub agains't the disc - seems to be the case for mine - anyone else had this?

jamieb809
18th November 2010, 20:30
its not the driveshafts. if the gaitors split and all the grease has come out. it'll only make a noise when turning.

check the plastic on the inside of the arch. if one of the fixings has broken it could be flapping about and could be getting caught on the tyre etc.

littleblue1
18th November 2010, 21:14
its not the driveshafts. if the gaitors split and all the grease has come out. it'll only make a noise when turning.

check the plastic on the inside of the arch. if one of the fixings has broken it could be flapping about and could be getting caught on the tyre etc.

dont have any plastics on inside of arch mate aha and .... noise is only there under load ( when accelerating) no throttle means no noise

jamieb809
19th November 2010, 00:10
no plastics? :/ like not on the inner wing behind the strut, stretching from behind the front bumper to rear inner arch?

you said at the top the noise stops when your on throttle.

wheel bearing is normally a clicking/knocking noise

littleblue1
23rd November 2010, 19:18
no plastics? :/ like not on the inner wing behind the strut, stretching from behind the front bumper to rear inner arch?

you said at the top the noise stops when your on throttle.

wheel bearing is normally a clicking/knocking noise

Sorry about that mate update on problem though.... noise is constant, throttle or no throttle now some days seem worse than others, and now have a "clicking" noise when pulling out of junctions, this developed after a trip to newquay and back over the weekend.... Oh the joy !

KrisB
23rd November 2010, 22:25
Do you want to pop over to gatwick and i'll have a nosey for you?

littleblue1
23rd November 2010, 22:52
Do you want to pop over to gatwick and i'll have a nosey for you?

would do mate but no money for fuel... car's living on reserve now thinking it's got to be driveshafts so as soon as i can afford will get them sorted, cheers anyway buddy

hammy105
24th November 2010, 22:15

how do you no its not driveshaft? it wont just making a noise when turning. As the cv joint will have crud etc and loss of grease in there if the gaitor has split. Ive worked on many saxos, and to me it sounds like driveshafts and id be 99% confident it was.

As krisb has said, pop in there at some point if you can, he noes his stuff too. If you cant get there then can have a look next week tuesday maybe.

littleblue1
25th November 2010, 17:39
No worries Andy as i said ... getting new shafts when i can afford, cheers anyway. good luck with your sale :D

littleblue1
30th November 2010, 11:35
Fitted new off side shaft yesterday and its worked wonders, now realise i need a new near side as well, oh the joy!

SidnySaxo
4th December 2010, 18:21
How do you now if is the driveshaft... Is there anyway ov definetly knowing if its the driveshaft,as i have a knocking on my passenger side and it seemed to get worse the last few days.. Would appreciate some addvice! Thanks

littleblue1
12th December 2010, 17:21
How do you now if is the driveshaft... Is there anyway ov definetly knowing if its the driveshaft,as i have a knocking on my passenger side and it seemed to get worse the last few days.. Would appreciate some addvice! Thanks

Personally im obviously not an expert with driveshafts but to me seems like you've got the exact same noise as i now have on passenger side so yes i'd guess it's driveshaft because mine definetley is but try and check with people in the know just to make sure !

dt_
13th December 2010, 12:30
it was the intermediate bearing on the drivers side driveshaft, if you look under the car the shaft is supported half way down with a bearing, this is the culprit. happened to me, but went away of its own accord