PDA

View Full Version : Issues with slicks

SaxoMuffin
23rd November 2010, 11:10
Hi Guys,

I know this could be posted within the suspension/tyres section but I feel it would be more apt posted here.

And at the risk of sounding like a complete noob I'm after some advise on the below.

I've done a bit of research into slick tyres (although not fully slick but better than the road worthy couterparts) and I will be wanting to run some next year on a few track days.

But from what I have read running slicks can cause more wear and tear damage on driveshafts etc, and is it really neccessary to have an uprated diff when running slicks? (As it would appear so from where I have read)

Please can someone enlighten me on any issues which arise from running semi-slicks if there are any?

Thanks in advance :)

KamRacing
23rd November 2010, 11:23
More grip and traction will put more load on the suspension components and the chassis. Expect ball joints, wishbone bushes and top mounts to wear out quicker as well as increased roll as the suspension is worked harder.
As long as you are not trying to wheelspin or accelerate hard from 0 then your driveshafts and gearbox will be ok.
Stick with road legal slicks rather than full slicks as you will not be able to get enough heat in full slicks to push near their full potential.

SaxoMuffin
23rd November 2010, 11:34
Perfect info..exactly what I was looking for thanks!

jsdvtr
23rd November 2010, 15:58
I think a diff would be a good investment though, probably before using slicks imo. I could be wrong but the extra grip from a diff is awesome but using slicks without one you wouldnt really be using them to full potential.

KamRacing
23rd November 2010, 16:02
A diff will be one of the best investments you can do. Much better traction! Get in contact with John at GMC for a quaife :D

Colin
23rd November 2010, 16:26
Also, no point having all this fancy suspension if your gonna use shit tyres. And decent tyres will show up flaws. After all only thing thats actually keeping you in contact with the road are the tyres.

Ryan
23rd November 2010, 18:42
A diff will be one of the best investments you can do. Much better traction! Get in contact with John at GMC for a quaife :D

Is he still running the discount? as usually direct from quaife is cheaper

axsaxoman
24th November 2010, 10:03
yes i still have some + our crown wheel fitting charge is less than quaife as well ,and turn round is quicker .

i still have some BE type quiafes as well at cheapest price anywhwere --while stocks last .

don,t forget the vat rise in jan..

Yes fit lsd before going to very sticky tyres will be far better value and stop alot of wheelspin anyway ,no matter what tyres you use

Ryan
24th November 2010, 16:02
I thought quaife often would machine the crown wheel for free if sent in at the same time as purchasing the diff from them.

They have done for me and others before.

Dave_P
24th December 2010, 20:04
Stick with road legal slicks rather than full slicks as you will not be able to get enough heat in full slicks to push near their full potential.

That depends on the compound... i run A15 (hillclimb) compound Avon slicks which are awesome from cold. :cool:

http://www.bmtr.co.uk/compounds.htm

MiniGibbo
26th December 2010, 11:39
Ive always beleived you want a proper cage as a rule of thumb before playing with the idea of slicks, not just for the extra stress generated threw the shell but for the on/off snap of grip making rolling a lot easier..

moxy89
26th December 2010, 11:54
he has got a full SD cage mate.

MiniGibbo
26th December 2010, 13:17
In that case fit as many solid nylon bushes as you can and get out on with those slicks!

KamRacing
26th December 2010, 23:09
That depends on the compound... i run A15 (hillclimb) compound Avon slicks which are awesome from cold. :cool:

http://www.bmtr.co.uk/compounds.htm

Well yes, but you are doing a different kind of motorsport to what 99% of this site do. Some may get a benefit on a trackday, but supersoft compounds tend to overheat on the track from experience.

sexy_gt
27th December 2010, 10:24
i have always used r888 medium's. i would like to have a go on some "real" slicks tho.

MiniGibbo
27th December 2010, 11:42
Well yes, but you are doing a different kind of motorsport to what 99% of this site do. Some may get a benefit on a trackday, but supersoft compounds tend to overheat on the track from experience.

Yer i was told this when looking at 888's is it the medium hard ones yo uwant for track days which are GG, the "SG" iirc which are softer are great in the extreme cold or as above found on short hill climbs but fall to bits on track after 10-15 min's..

Dave_P
27th December 2010, 12:55
i would like to have a go on some "real" slicks tho.

They're awesome! :cool:

You need to have the suspension real stiff though.

99% on here dont do any motorsport!

I guess you mean track days?

I agree my slicks would go over there ideal operating temp during prolonged circuit use.

solvi
14th February 2011, 22:58
alo evrybody...i disagree ...
drive a saxo yesterday whith sliks on it, and its a complete difrent tyre from r888.
i drove the 2 off them.if you drive hardcore will see difrence on control and trancion specialy lanching from twisted low speead area..

http://img98.imageshack.us/i/mg5950.jpg/