PDA

View Full Version : Out and about in New York

Mark
21st May 2006, 07:55
It's been raining here for the last couple of weeks, but finally the sun has come out (could this be summer?)

I wanted to join in the fun and thought I should get out there and take some photos... Nothing fancy as I haven't figured out how to use any of the new camera's features yet...

This thing looked cool, but with the cops only a few metres away I didn't get onboard:

/members/Mark/7513Z_01.jpg

I wonder if every bin (trash can) has a sponsor:

/members/Mark/A8679_02.jpg

I wanted a shot with the flag in it (something which isn't difficult over here since the flag is draped over pretty much everything):

/members/Mark/E2D57_03.jpg

The attention to detail, even the brush has bristles:

/members/Mark/28F2Z_04.jpg

Ah, sweet:

/members/Mark/5C499_05.jpg

Waiting for the subway train to arrive, and there's the flag again:

/members/Mark/7Z4E1_06.jpg

pug_boe
21st May 2006, 19:00
looks kool Mark!

I dont understand the litter sign though? lol Dont litter except sunday?

kevmiles250
21st May 2006, 19:16
yeh how confusing is that parking sign thing!

al_VTR
21st May 2006, 23:32
some good photos there Mark, how long you over there for?

Mark
22nd May 2006, 05:10
some good photos there Mark, how long you over there for?
lol - until I come back, anywhere from 6 months to a few years I guess, although I do intend to come back one day! smileys/smiley4.gif

Mark
31st May 2006, 20:03
The sun's come back and I think it's here to stay. Took a trip out to Coney Island on Saturday.

The Wonder Wheel is a "Big Wheel" at Coney Island. You only go around twice for $5 (rip-off?), so I didn't really get a chance to prepare for this (I wish it had been more in focus). This is the gear that keeps everything moving, taken as we swung past:

/members/Mark/CE2F3_01.jpg

The bird looks fairly relaxed in this shot, but they were flying around at such a pace that I was surprised to even get it in frame:

/members/Mark/27ZFC_02.jpg

I also went for a wander around Central Park. For those that don't know it, it's a big green bit right in the centre of New York City (New Yorkers don't need to head out into the countryside because they've built their own right here!):

/members/Mark/3EE7A_03.jpg

The sun was too much for me, but even while I was lying flat on my back, dehydrated and slipping in and out of sleep, I had my camera on hand to take this shot of the sky (probably not the most original idea in the world):

/members/Mark/972EC_04.jpg

New York grass! Looks pretty much like grass in the UK, so if ever I'm feeling homesick I'll know where to go:

/members/Mark/CC827_05.jpg

5th Avenue at the corner of Central Park. Property prices here are just silly smileys/smiley3.gif :

/members/Mark/8A342_06.jpg

I might start playing with the more advanced features of the camera shortly, anyone got any tips or advice?

Dan
1st June 2006, 01:23
Some awesome pictures Mark, really want to visit NY one day.

Simo
1st June 2006, 23:18
Excellent Mark!!

Make sure you keep posting updtes in this thread as Im interested to see what you're uptp! smileys/smiley14.gif

Let me have your address and I will send you some sax-p stickers.

Then we can start the 'sax-p tagging' off on an international scale smileys/smiley17.gif

Anyone rememebr the sax-p bus? LMBO! © sax-p

Baz
1st June 2006, 23:21
lol the sax-p bus yeh, where was that located again? nice pink sticker wasn't it

Mark
2nd June 2006, 05:32
Just when I thought everything was calm, a thunder storm blew in over New York. Whew the rain is heavy and the thunder/lightning are intense:

/members/Mark/FBB4D_07.jpg

It's still nice and warm though... smileys/smiley2.gif

Baz
2nd June 2006, 05:36
quality pic that Mark! how many attampts you take at that? smileys/smiley2.gif

VTaaRon
2nd June 2006, 06:59
my uncle works for pfizers over there the company owns a floor near the top of one of the posh big buildings!! sorry vage there so when they have international clients they get to stay in the rooms! they own a few limos to he sent one to pic us up when we went for the millenium time square was amazing (so was fao!) thos pic are quality if only i had a cam on me when i was there i could have taken a pic of the cyclist that drove into the back of a dhl van in front of us as the van stoped was a classic got up and rode off like nothing happened. take a few of the plaza hotel always loads of nice cars outside

Mark
2nd June 2006, 07:29
quality pic that Mark! how many attampts you take at that? smileys/smiley2.gif
lol - handheld with shutter speeds around 1/5 sec (so I had to hold it fairly steady) - I think I took about 800 shots. That particular one came out well although I caught a few others too (about a 1% hit rate).

There are some supercars knocking about in NY. Last week I heard the roar of an engine behind me as I was walking, accelerating very fast - I assumed it must by a motorcycle as the lights had just gone green. Next second a car that only looked about 2 feet tall shot past then braked hard for the next set of lights. I think it was a Lambourghini but I'm not that good with cars. smileys/smiley3.gif

There's too much money in this town I think...

Dan
3rd June 2006, 04:01
Liking the lightening pictures. smileys/smiley2.gif

Yates
4th June 2006, 03:05
how come your over there mate? must be great

id love to go, and i think i will save up for a holiday there next year or year after, going to try and travel around when i get a chance before i buy a house and settle down

Simo
4th June 2006, 03:11
We had a moderators meeting and decided we needed someone online regularly in the early hours of the morning... so Mark volunteered to move over to New York and take on the role.

He's such a star! smileys/smiley10.gif

Mark will be back in the UK in about 2 years possibly, at which time, the position will become vacant again smileys/smiley17.gif

jaybiss
10th June 2006, 01:00
looks awesome

would love to be in your position mate

always wanted to go to new york
smileys/smiley13.gif

DevilDamo
11th June 2006, 07:14
We had a moderators meeting and decided we needed someone online regularly in the early hours of the morning... so Mark volunteered to move over to New York and take on the role.

OMG! Is that true!?!

Nice pics though Mark. Damn I do wish I could have the time, patience and money with photography.

tgazvtr
11th June 2006, 07:33
very nice pics mark, one of the best places i have visited!

Connor_scotland
14th June 2006, 06:49
i really like them pics mate

fantastic

liamk15
17th June 2006, 10:23
Quality pics mark.

id love to go to newyork. Ever since i saw homealone ive wanted to go:) lol its me ambition to take a very long break over there.