PDA

View Full Version : can a iphone be unblocked?

JonCarter
29th November 2010, 15:40
brothers mate found a iphone 4 the other day, no damage not even wet just blocked need to know if it can be unblocked?? must have been reported stolen by owners

MunkyBoy
29th November 2010, 15:51
No.

1. Its illegal :)
2. The IMEI will be blocked.
3. It will work in europe. :)

Enjoy your new ipod touch.

I'll explain a little further as I'm bored.

Basically, the IMEI is etched into the baseband of the phone, and everytime it makes a connection to the network, the IMEI is listed on a central database. This database also holds a list of all the IMEI's that have been banned, if the IMEI is on this list - You won't be able to make a connection to any network.

Europe's list is slightly different, hence your IMEI wont be banned abroad.

You technically can fake the IMEI, but I think it will still register the original one if you try and make a connection to the network itself. I remember if you used ZiPhone you used to be able to change the baseband and the IMEI of the phone.

So, as noted above. You now have a very nice ipod touch :)

chester-lad
29th November 2010, 20:32
try jail breakin it then use another net work ......

saxowebby
19th January 2011, 04:29
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=657

PJN
21st January 2011, 12:34
No.

1. Its illegal :)
2. The IMEI will be blocked.
3. It will work in europe. :)

Enjoy your new ipod touch.

I'll explain a little further as I'm bored.

Basically, the IMEI is etched into the baseband of the phone, and everytime it makes a connection to the network, the IMEI is listed on a central database. This database also holds a list of all the IMEI's that have been banned, if the IMEI is on this list - You won't be able to make a connection to any network.

Europe's list is slightly different, hence your IMEI wont be banned abroad.

You technically can fake the IMEI, but I think it will still register the original one if you try and make a connection to the network itself. I remember if you used ZiPhone you used to be able to change the baseband and the IMEI of the phone.

So, as noted above. You now have a very nice ipod touch :)

Learn something new every day, wasn't aware you could change the IMEI with ziPhone

logic_guy
24th January 2011, 02:27
Learn something new every day, wasn't aware you could change the IMEI with ziPhone

YOu can, only with the original iPhone's though.

I have found a 3Gs in the summer.

I've spent months researching how to change the IMEI and all i know is, you can get it done in London on the black market for £200. But if you get your phone back, and its working that's a different story.

No, even if you 'Unblock' the service provider (Like O2) and stick a T-Mobile sim card in, the phones 'Serial number (IMEI) will still be blocked. The phone company's use a central computer to store all the IMEI's. It will work over sea's if you post it on eBay.. The IMEI is etched into the chip of the phone, so you'd have to change the processor of the phone with another iphone to enable it to work... too much hassle and a huge risk of it going wrong.

How it works is. You dial a number, the IMEI of the phone goes to this computer, checks the phone is legit then comes back to the phone and picks up the phone number your dialling and take it with it again to the computer which then gets directed to a telephone exchange.

I use mine as a oversized iPod touch.

logic_guy
24th January 2011, 02:28
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=657

Will only work on The first iphones.

logic_guy
24th January 2011, 02:28
try jail breakin it then use another net work ......

Wont work. Jail Breaking basically allows you free apps.

baker556
7th February 2011, 15:29
I've done it, it worked (testing purposes only).

loudandproud205
8th February 2011, 07:59
Changing the IMEI number IS VERY ILLEGAL and the Police frown upon it very highly

Jamees
8th February 2011, 21:25
change the pcb ;)

i can do it to all HTC's (go me)

Mango_Wes
8th February 2011, 22:22
Wont work. Jail Breaking basically allows you free apps.

Jail breaking the iPhone will allow you to use other networks 'i.e unblocking the phone'

You need to download an app called 'Yellowsnow'

Google Yellowsnow, you will use Cydia to download it.

It changes some things on the board of the phone and allows you to use any sim.

Worked fine for me, the whole time I owned my 3G

Ignore the phone version -

* Open Cydia installer from iPhone.
* Select ‘Manage’ from bottom and select ‘Sources’.
* Go to ‘Edit’, press ‘Add’ option from left top.
* Insert this URL [http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/] and select ‘Add Source’
* Press ‘Return to Cydia’.
* Now select ‘Done’ from right top.

If everything goes smoothly, you should see yellowsn0w package in Cydia. Now, get ready to unlock iPhone 3G firmware with yellowsnOw.

1. Launch Cydia again and select http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/ from ‘Entered by User’.
2. Select yellowsnOw from the list of packages and install it.
3. After successful completion of installation process, select ‘Return to Cydia’.
4. Restart iPhone using ‘Power’ button.
5. Voila! Your iPhone 3G is unlocked.

I really should learn to read the first post, this is no use to you what so ever!

DaDangerMan
8th February 2011, 23:34
another way to try is phoning up the original (o2,orange etc) and saying you found the phone or bought the phone and it wont get signal. (act stupid) they will ask for IMEI once again act stupid (what is this? how do i find this?)
and just play nice and they may/may not unblobk it.

i say this as i bought a blocked nokia n95 2 weeks ago locked to orange, phoned up saying i bought it and it wont get signal or phone out, acted stupid he asked for IMEI gave it him and he goes ahhhh give me 2 mins , ok it should work now . and bam it works :) and sold it on £100