PDA

View Full Version : I need to Lose weight quick

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 17:41
What would you suggest for a poor student to do to lose weight. I want to try and lose quite a lot before i start back in uni in October. However i am really broke so i cant afford to go to the gym and i shall be working everyday.

What exercises do you suggest that i should do if i cant afford the gym?. I suppose i could do walking as i live up by the mountains. I basically want to lose weight off my bum, thighs and hips mostly. Iv been on loads of diets but i just seem to stay fat smileys/smiley14.gif

Help me

saxx
23rd May 2006, 17:52
bird if i hear your munching junk from those machines when u email me ill have u runnin up mountainssmileys/smiley17.gif

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 17:54
bird if i hear your munching junk from those machines when u email me ill have u runnin up mountainssmileys/smiley17.gif

i aint eaten anything from them for like a month - im too broke. Iv been eating snak a jacks for a snack and been drinking loads of water instead of the coke smileys/smiley17.gif

saxx
23rd May 2006, 17:59
have u tried weight watchers?

the woman at work lost 12 pounds in her first month! and she eats for england!

and then get westy to organise a fitness regime for u?

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 18:00
Westy when you get this can you do me a fitness regime

I heard weight watches just shout at you lol il have a look at their website

saxx
23rd May 2006, 18:02

u dont need to go to the meetings - but apprently if u do u lose more weight

u can just buy the books and follow them

WestyVTR
23rd May 2006, 18:52

i can advise you as best i can yes, weight watchers is a good start! but remember its best to burn the calories off rather than starving your body to burn them! PM me details & specific questions & ill do my best for you smileys/smiley14.gif

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 19:02
PM sent - help this fizzy pop loving, crips eating beast lol

barrett
23rd May 2006, 19:28
Basically to lose weight intake of calories needs to be less than calories
burnt off. Stop eating junk and eat healthy. Brown rice instead of white
as it has more complex carbohydrates that take longer to get into your
system therefore less are converted into fat.

So you need to exercise too, running is best, but vary it with swimming
and cycling and maybe a gym class at the local leisure centre once a
week.

Yates
23rd May 2006, 19:37
get yourself a bike and get up and down the mountains, go for 30 mins every other day and just watch what your eating, avoid all the junk food

saxx
23rd May 2006, 19:40
the moment u start saying u cant have somethin u want it

which is why i think weight watchers would probably be good because ucan still have the odd treat now and then aslong as its within your points

grey54321
23rd May 2006, 19:48
Forget all this, Just do other things to take your mind of eating and stuff . . .

Barry123
23rd May 2006, 20:05
I used to eat 1 egg baguette a day for a month. lost a stone.

doddle.

Not particularly healthy i know but sadly it does work.

saxx
23rd May 2006, 20:06
so does gettin a root absys but its not pleasant!

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 20:23
well iv just made my first step - i went to caerphilly lesiure centre and all i have to pay is £2.75 a month and it also means i can go swiming any time of the day how ever many times i want a week

barrett
23rd May 2006, 21:34
I used to eat 1 egg baguette a day for a month. lost a
stone.

doddle.

Must have been a damn big one to fill you up all day, and your mates
must have hated you, you would stink with all the wind!

Plus when you stop stupid things like this and wait a month and its all
back on!

barrett
23rd May 2006, 21:35
well iv just made my first step - i went to caerphilly
lesiure centre and all i have to pay is £2.75 a month and it also means i
can go swiming any time of the day how ever many times i want a week

Thats damn cheap! Are you sure you dont have to pay a small charge
everytime you go!

pug_boe
23rd May 2006, 21:49
nope barret its right - i just give them the card they gave me today and tell them im using the pool smileys/smiley17.gif

My friend and her brother go 3 times a week so now il go with them

Yates
24th May 2006, 00:11
take your armbands

Barry123
24th May 2006, 00:55
Must have been a damn big one to fill you up all day, and your mates
must have hated you, you would stink with all the wind!

Plus when you stop stupid things like this and wait a month and its all
back on!

just a normal sized one. Basically it's weird i can switch off my cravings for food quite easily.
People call me anorexic but it more a case of forgetting to eat rather than intentionally avoiding food. When at uni i go into slow burn mode i.e. 2 packs of supernoodles a day will see me through a semester.

Back on topic before i get flamed...
I used to cook up a beauty of a meal..
bit of pasta, bit of chicken, lots of iceberg lettuce + bit of sauce.

Pretty much covers most the bases in terms of vitamins stuff.
And of course exercise smileys/smiley16.gif

WestyVTR
24th May 2006, 15:16

doddle.

starving ur body to burn calories from fat isnt correct!! burn it off via exercise.... & raising your metabolic rate, read the previous topicon fat lose & exercise smileys/smiley2.gif

Barry123
24th May 2006, 19:13

doddle.

starving ur body to burn calories from fat isnt correct!! burn it off via exercise.... & raising your metabolic rate, read the previous topicon fat lose & exercise smileys/smiley2.gif

i do both dude smileys/smiley4.gif

currently low on cash so have reverted to the egg&cress diet this week smileys/smiley13.gif

Dan
25th May 2006, 05:08
I need to lose weight too, about two stone is what id like to lose. Then I want to tone up. Just cant get the motivation to lose the weight. I do it for about a month but then eat junk again.

Barry123
25th May 2006, 11:43
if you eat junk then excersise more to offset the junk intake smileys/smiley4.gif

pug_boe
25th May 2006, 13:54
if you eat junk then excersise more to offset the junk intake smileys/smiley4.gif

lol dont say things like that id be driving down to maccy ds

WestyVTR
30th May 2006, 13:40
I need to lose weight too, about two stone is what id like to lose. Then I want to tone up. Just cant get the motivation to lose the weight. I do it for about a month but then eat junk again.

When u say weight do you mean fat!?!?

Weight & fat are not the same thing at all, the word weight is widly used, when in fact what ppl mean is FAT! If you want to lose fat just read teh previous posts & get on it!! tone up after losing the fat... resistance training will do both for you... again read the previous posts, it isnt hard to do, you just need motivating....! Your health is the most important thing you own & given its free.... y not look after it! smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley14.gif

Kelly
1st June 2006, 17:12
Boe,

Saxx is right on this one. Weight Watchers is the key to losing weight. However, its a slow process but also safe. I know this as I go and they expect you to lose around 2 lbs a week. Sounds tiny but after 3 weeks its nearly half a stone. And they don't shout at you for not losing weight, they give you ideas and advice to help you along. Teamed with a little exercise every week I find this really easy. And I still get to eat the things I love most only with less saturated fat and calories in.

Hope this helps

WestyVTR
2nd June 2006, 18:26
Boe,

Saxx is right on this one. Weight Watchers is the key to losing weight. However, its a slow process but also safe. I know this as I go and they expect you to lose around 2 lbs a week. Sounds tiny but after 3 weeks its nearly half a stone. And they don't shout at you for not losing weight, they give you ideas and advice to help you along. Teamed with a little exercise every week I find this really easy. And I still get to eat the things I love most only with less saturated fat and calories in.

Hope this helps

Weight watchers is a good idea but it does have its flaws, they do not take your bodys compision into account just your over all "weight" - when doing resistance training some of the effects incude an increase in bone density, an increase lean body mass ( muscle ) these are possitive things, they also mean you will retain weight as muscle weights more than fat!! & dense bones are good as it healps reduce you chance of osteoperosis!! So as you can see losing ""weight"" isnt always a good thing, FAT is what needs burning off - stored energy is what fat is... so get on the exercise & let your body burn it off, you wil feel great after exercise as your body produces endorphins that give you a sense of "wow i feel great"... better that the feeling of "oh shi* i cant eat that"....

read previous posts & get on it... smileys/smiley14.gif smileys/smiley17.gif smileys/smiley4.gif

k9saxo
7th June 2006, 16:39
RE: the weightwatchers thing Iv got the books and have been following thje 'points' system for bout 9 weeks and have lost just over a stone, some things are quiet easy replace normal crisps with quavers or french fries, replace chocolate with weight watchers cookies, iced gems, or curly wurlys, instead of having a normal ice cream go for a mini milk, get a low fat spread, half fat cheese, low fat bread. Eat more vegetables etc. and for a filling low fat pasta meal make your own sauce with tinned tomatoes, onion, bit of mince and herbs. I am the worst person for sticking to a diet but I find this one quite easy! smileys/smiley4.gif
abi

WestyVTR
8th June 2006, 11:46
Good work abi, good to hear your making good progress,

do be carefull with low fat foods as usually they will contain alot of salt & added flavourings, low fat/low calorie foods arnt always the right choice... just eat smaller portions of the right foods. eg a bowl of musli in the morning with bananna slices on with a yogart & a fruit juice is muc better for you than say a bowl of frosted flakes with a cuppa tea with skimmed milk & sweetner!! The musli will contain more calories but this is a good thing as you body has to work to break the food down, this means you get a slow release of energy through out the day/morning, the fruit contains "fructose" a natural suger & so gives you that instant energy your after in the morning....

hope this makes sense!

smileys/smiley14.gif

k9saxo
8th June 2006, 14:00
yeah thanks smileys/smiley4.gif . I normally have a weetabix or porridge and a bannana if wev got one in the morning, sandwiches for lunch and pasta etc for tea. I was just giving those examples for those who love to snack (like I always used to)
since iv been on the diet though i have found my tastes changing like i just dont crave chocolate like i used to and the other day i had a couple of (very high fat smileys/smiley9.gif ) kettle chips which i used to love and i really hated them they were all greasy and disgusting, i also hate take outs now yuck!
abi
p.s i think it also helps that iv just got a 'job' walking someones dog for an hour a day and Iv started running a second dog at agility which is an extra hour running a week

saxoash
14th June 2006, 17:51
I want to lose some FAT but having no job its hard as i carnt go to gym , pluss i dont eat properly i get up somedays i might have some toast and then thats it till bout 5 when i have my tea.

If i started doing push ups and sit ups at home is that an effective way of losing weight?

jaybiss
14th June 2006, 17:56
why not go for a walk or a run

do you have a dog? take it for a walk

plenty of things to do

vaccum the house! :P

saxoash
14th June 2006, 18:03
why not go for a walk or a run

do you have a dog? take it for a walk

plenty of things to do

vaccum the house! :P

Im thinking sit-ups and press-ups each day and maybe a run lol

Danadaman_3
16th June 2006, 19:43
EXERCISE is the key in my opinion and dont snack between meals! easier said than done though! keep your mind occupied on other things!

alex19
17th June 2006, 20:42
Do exercise in the morning once you get up, it's harder, but your burning off more body fat, rather than eating something and then burning off the calories afterwards.

Swimmings is great exercise, I can't remeber 100% why, Something like keeping your heart rate low while still burning off as much as normal exercise, without feeling the wieght. That last bit is probly wrong.

c8james
19th June 2006, 11:06
What would you suggest for a poor student to do to lose weight. I want to try and lose quite a lot before i start back in uni in October. However i am really broke so i cant afford to go to the gym and i shall be working everyday.

What exercises do you suggest that i should do if i cant afford the gym?. I suppose i could do walking as i live up by the mountains. I basically want to lose weight off my bum, thighs and hips mostly. Iv been on loads of diets but i just seem to stay fat smileys/smiley14.gif

Help me
Get a job you lazy student bum!! lol

saxx
19th June 2006, 11:24
Weight watchers is a good idea but it does have its flaws, they do not take your bodys compision into account just your over all "weight" - when doing resistance training some of the effects incude an increase in bone density, an increase lean body mass ( muscle ) these are possitive things, they also mean you will retain weight as muscle weights more than fat!! & dense bones are good as it healps reduce you chance of osteoperosis!! So as you can see losing ""weight"" isnt always a good thing, FAT is what needs burning off - stored energy is what fat is... so get on the exercise & let your body burn it off, you wil feel great after exercise as your body produces endorphins that give you a sense of "wow i feel great"... better that the feeling of "oh shi* i cant eat that"....

read previous posts & get on it... smileys/smiley14.gif smileys/smiley17.gif smileys/smiley4.gif

the point system is worked on gender, job, weight, age etc

so if you work an office job, where u sit on your arse all day u get a differend allowance to someone who has an active role etc etc

so it isnt a case of someone going u must eat 28 points lol

and for every stone u lose u drop a point......

as above its so easy! apart from eatin the required amount can be quite hard lol!

they do advise half an hours exercise a day i believe - so tbh they dont just tell u to do the points system!

apparently eating an apple before your meal is a good thing too.............cant remember why tho lol

pug_boe
19th June 2006, 17:52
i have got a job lovely. when i am in uni i work 20 hours a week and i am currently full time

c8james
19th June 2006, 18:10
I could always lend you my mut, Needs 4 miles a day min. If you take dog out you will tire before the dog does. I know I have tryedhttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/c8james/Photo002.jpg

S34MER
22nd June 2006, 07:55
boxing!!! Its hard as fook but wprks a treat, and it will really trim u up! or dancing!! (If ur a lady)

Danadaman_3
22nd June 2006, 11:15
swimming is good because it uses all the muscles in your body! even ones you probably didnt know existed!

stick to set meal times and dont eat in between, self confidence and will power are needed though lol

biking has been mentioned and i agree that is a really good all round fitness kind of exercise! burns off the calories in no time! wether its biking in the counrty or in a gym its all the same! :cool:

Dan
6th July 2006, 23:44
When u say weight do you mean fat!?!?

Weight & fat are not the same thing at all, the word weight is widly used, when in fact what ppl mean is FAT! If you want to lose fat just read teh previous posts & get on it!! tone up after losing the fat... resistance training will do both for you... again read the previous posts, it isnt hard to do, you just need motivating....! Your health is the most important thing you own & given its free.... y not look after it! smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley14.gif

Yes matey fat is what I want to lose, not being big headed but i used to be quite stocky but since doing the atkins diet 2 years ago have found it hard to lose the fat.

I do exercise each week but not as much as I should.