PDA

View Full Version : Progressing Through the Weights

Barry123
1st June 2006, 19:46
Anyone who has met me has always commented on my rather splendid bulky muscular appearance...

Anyway, i'm getting to the point where the first block is now too easy to lift, however when i start pushing/pulling/backhanding the the next setting it feels wwwway too hard and open cant do my usual 3 sets 10 reps.

Whats best to start the progression... less sets? less reps? other ideas?

cheers!
ad

Mitchell
1st June 2006, 19:50
you dont have to hit 10 reps, just do what u can, or do what u can then do the rest with a lighter wait to finish the set.

WestyVTR
2nd June 2006, 18:21
super setting is a great way to increase strenght using various weights/resistance. So is piramid training.... smileys/smiley2.gif

platty
2nd June 2006, 21:13
as above, do you normal sets but a few with the higher weight. im jumping between weights at the moment from 10 - 15 and find that 1 set of 15's followed by 2 sets of 10's is ideal. From their i can use progression to adapt my training to maybe 2 sets of the higher weights then hopefully advance to the higher weight.

Tony_Jay86
2nd June 2006, 21:20
How much weight are you pulling?

I used to bench press 40kg, 5 sets of 5 reps, but i gave up because it got to easy & was spending to much on heavier weights.

platty
2nd June 2006, 21:26
im on 50kg bench press, but really shouldnt as im only 16 not good for me but its very adictive

Tony_Jay86
2nd June 2006, 21:28
im on 50kg bench press, but really shouldnt as im only 16 not good for me but its very adictive

It sure is, specially when your taking whey protein & creatine at the same time, used to love them.

I had some really creamy strawberry flavoured whey protein by waider (sp).

I got onto 50kg, but i couldnt do 5 sets of 5 reps smileys/smiley13.gif

Tony_Jay86
2nd June 2006, 21:30
Hopefully iam going to get back on the weights, but i need space for my bench, there just isnt enough room in the house anymore, hence why its in the loft in pieces.

platty
2nd June 2006, 21:33
i havnt dared go onto 5 reps yet not till im abit older, but i usually do 3 sets of 10 reps. yeh id love some equipment at home would save the 20 odd quid a month you pay for at the gym

Tony_Jay86
2nd June 2006, 21:41
I'd rather go to the gym me, atleast you arnt in your home looking at the 4 walls all the time.

Problem is, theres hell of alot of sted heads around here & if you give them the wrong look, they will slash you.

The gym i'd like to go to looks nice, none of this back street gym sort of thing, but i think it costs a fair bit.

I could join up a super complex of a gym, but think its something like £1k a year, if not more, all the burnley players go there.

platty
2nd June 2006, 21:45
look in my new post, i go total fitness and think its excellent, very big with everything you could want. Only 23 quid a month for me but its an effort as it includes a good 2mile bike ride until i get the sax!

WestyVTR
3rd June 2006, 15:34
super setting is a great way to increase strenght using various weights/resistance. So is piramid training.... smileys/smiley2.gif

your training needs to be structured! if the weights your lifting r feeling to light you need to change your F.I.T.T of training, ( Frequenct Intensity Time or Type )

Its no good just randomly picking weights that you feel are right!

as said previously super setting or piramid training is good to help you. This is changing the "Type" of training your doing.

Yates
3rd June 2006, 21:11
im shit on the bench i can only do 70kg, which i should be doing more, but i never really go on it

might have another crack on it, i used to go on it a bit and could do 85 but im just shit at it now lol

Barry123
3rd June 2006, 21:32
geniuinely... whats a bench press?

ChrisJ
4th June 2006, 01:31
bench press (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html)
smileys/smiley2.gif

Barry123
4th June 2006, 03:40
bench press (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html)
smileys/smiley2.gif
sorted.

I've never done one before but i reckon i can comfortably do about 20kg.

Tony_Jay86
4th June 2006, 23:56
im shit on the bench i can only do 70kg, which i should be doing more, but i never really go on it

might have another crack on it, i used to go on it a bit and could do 85 but im just shit at it now lol

Kin hell mate, anymore & you'll be able to bench press me smileys/smiley3.gif

WestyVTR
5th June 2006, 10:46
the usual saying is big bench = bad back!!

its all in relation to body weight remember smileys/smiley2.gif

Yates
6th June 2006, 14:47
at the moment i can bench my own weight which is just over 70k, which i think is a good result

i wouldnt ever try and go much heavier as i dont go on it much, may start using it more over the summer

Barry123
6th June 2006, 15:21
not really a free weight fan to be honest which will explain why im so shite at it.

WestyVTR
8th June 2006, 12:15
weight machines dont need to be in the gym!

what do they all have on them!

ill give you a clue it begins with "S"

smileys/smiley2.gif

bullit
11th June 2006, 12:21
ad if you cant move up a plate on a machine hang a dumbell on it a nd progress like that

WestyVTR
11th June 2006, 13:07
not sumthin id advise at all!

barrett
11th June 2006, 13:18
not sumthin id advise at all!

This really isnt good for the machines!

When I went to the gym i used to have to do this for the seated row. The max weight on the machine was 50kg and just wasn't enough! So i used to stack the dumbells on it to incesase the weight by looping it though the gaps, but the it makes the stack unbalanced and you can feel more resistance as you do the exercise, it wasn;t a smooth movement.

If inbetween i would balance a 2.5kg weight on the pin. This is ok and safe. But in most gyms they have special plates designed for this that clip onto the stack.

bullit
11th June 2006, 16:46
if the plates are 4kg. each and you cant get to the next, placing 2kg dumbell on it is harmless. the machines i used to go on it would sit just fine.

barrett
11th June 2006, 17:38
if the plates are 4kg. each and you cant get to the next, placing 2kg dumbell on it is harmless. the machines i used to go on it would sit just fine.

Yeah that wouldnt be a big deal but not ideal. Best to get a 2.5kg plate from the free weights and put it on the pin tho.

I was putting the biggest dumbells in the gym that could fit onto the machine on. In the end it completely buggered it up and the weights got jammed 1/2.

:innocent:

WestyVTR
12th June 2006, 14:45
This really isnt good for the machines!

When I went to the gym i used to have to do this for the seated row. The max weight on the machine was 50kg and just wasn't enough! So i used to stack the dumbells on it to incesase the weight by looping it though the gaps, but the it makes the stack unbalanced and you can feel more resistance as you do the exercise, it wasn;t a smooth movement.

If inbetween i would balance a 2.5kg weight on the pin. This is ok and safe. But in most gyms they have special plates designed for this that clip onto the stack.

y use the machine! there are plenty of more functional movments that can & should be performed replacement of this machine! machines use the major muscle groups theyre not ideal in any sense of the word, ok for beguinners but id advise free weight exercises....

WestyVTR
12th June 2006, 14:46
Yeah that wouldnt be a big deal but not ideal. Best to get a 2.5kg plate from the free weights and put it on the pin tho.

I was putting the biggest dumbells in the gym that could fit onto the machine on. In the end it completely buggered it up and the weights got jammed 1/2.

:innocent:

this best option is to ditch the ,achine & work out properly! :mobile:

bullit
12th June 2006, 16:51
agree westy free wieghts is where its at. only did it on tri push downs which was a cunt to move up a plate. dont tell me off. lol

WestyVTR
12th June 2006, 17:14
not telling you off squire, im just very perticular! :wacko:

Steve.
13th June 2006, 09:17
just from what i have heard - free weights are usually better because not only do they get you stronger but thwey also help you becaise you have to balance and support the weight using your strenght and not relying on a machine, so in a way you will be stronger doing free weights. but do not burn me at the steak if that is wrong.

I can bench 80KG last time i tried, im only 18, i dont want huge muscles because more muscle is harder to move quickly, and playing cricket u need to be elan but also have explosive muscle power for certain times - for example i am a wicket keeper and opening batsmen so i need powerful leg and back muscles to go from prone position, when keeping, to jump around and diving to stop a ball bery quickly.

but then when i bat i need bigger shoulder and forarm muscles to hit the ball hard (but timing is also very essential aswell dont get me wrong)

thats my input

Barry123
13th June 2006, 09:27
good input too.

I've opted to increase the weight setting but do fewers reps then gradually increase until i hit 10-12... then move on to the next level etc.

Cheers everyone :D:

Mattvtr
13th June 2006, 23:02
It sure is, specially when your taking whey protein & creatine at the same time, used to love them.

I had some really creamy strawberry flavoured whey protein by waider (sp).

I got onto 50kg, but i couldnt do 5 sets of 5 reps smileys/smiley13.gif

Did you used to play rugby by any chance?Only every rugby player in my school decides to use creatine etc?
After not going to the gym for 2 years due to a broken arm i am now bench pressing 70kg which is just shy of my weight so im really pleased as i werent allowed to do anything for the 2 years,trouble is i cant go the gym now cos of exams :(

Subtle
15th June 2006, 14:04
free weights i find more beneficial as you have to control their movements if you get what i mean. They arent just attached to some machine that you throw around you have to make an effort to direct the weight where you want it. hence working yourself that little bit harder.

yorkie
17th June 2006, 09:46
as long as u do 3sets of 10 its fine

i am on 70kg on bench at mo going for 80kg very soon.

and a nuv pointer is.......

your build

if u wanna be a big boy!!!!
go heavy weigth.

if u just wanna tone wot u have
go ligther and more reps!!!

WestyVTR
20th June 2006, 05:56
as long as u do 3sets of 10 its fine

i am on 70kg on bench at mo going for 80kg very soon.

and a nuv pointer is.......

your build

if u wanna be a big boy!!!!
go heavy weigth.

if u just wanna tone wot u have
go ligther and more reps!!!

not entirely true!

if you start lifting stupidly heavy weights you will just get injuries. Its important to train your muscles in that movment pattern with relitive weights so your CNS sences the demand for recruting more muscle bundles. Once you have a stimlated teh muscle to actally work at its full potential then you can start to build on it!! ;)

yorkie
20th June 2006, 18:13
as i say moving on to 80kg soon building in weigh

WestyVTR
20th June 2006, 18:29
I know a guy who weights 11.9kg who can bench! 140kgs thats free weight bench!

big doesnt mean strong!

What most ppl want is acully hypertropgy training as this builds & defines the muscle. creating shape & defination as well as an increase in size! Toning is light weights heigh reps yes, ie 5 sets of 20 reps!

Good effort for 80kgs though is it on the smith machine or free bar!?

yorkie
21st June 2006, 17:21
machine its a new machine it feel heavyer then the last one!!! if u know wot i mean???

i do most other things on free weigths tho curls ect ect.......

WestyVTR
22nd June 2006, 06:04
machine its a new machine it feel heavyer then the last one!!! if u know wot i mean???

i do most other things on free weigths tho curls ect ect.......

it feels heavier as your used to prehaps another machine ie your out of your normal position!! the set up may be different - this agian is why free weighs are batter as your position is individual. you will push more weight on the machine than free weights. E.G i can stack our chest press here thats 102.5kgs with 4 reps! i weight 76kg. i use 20-25kg free weigts for my chest work tho... thats more than a 50% drop in weight!

if you need to use a machine for chest id advise the smith machine...

gotamintvtr
7th July 2006, 11:12
best way that iv read and heard about. is to do the maximum you can and do reps of no more than severn. thats why you do 21's and no more. because its best to do severn reps rather than the ten most people aim for. if you can do more than sever you arnt lifting heavy anough