PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

c8james
4th June 2006, 16:45
Hi, does any one know if a xsara vts gearbox will fit in a saxo vts and would any mod be needed.

Sean
4th June 2006, 16:55
wont fit.

hesslevtr
4th June 2006, 16:56
and post in relevent sections to

Simo
4th June 2006, 16:57
LOL - any chance of being a bit moire informative with the answers??

Is the Xsara the same as the 306?

Dan
4th June 2006, 17:00
Yeah the xsara vts box is the same as a 306 box if I remember correctly.

Sean
4th June 2006, 17:01
i answered the question!!! smileys/smiley17.gif
i assumed the xsara box was be3/5? ie same as 306 as you say simo smileys/smiley2.gif

Simo
4th June 2006, 17:20
But is the Xsara VTS 6-gear like the 306GTi... if so, thats different again smileys/smiley17.gif

hesslevtr
4th June 2006, 17:24
dont think the xsara vts is six speed

c8james
4th June 2006, 17:39
The one I have got my hands on is a five speed. Going to take old saxo vts box off to see how much differnce there is.

Simo
4th June 2006, 17:49
Thats something I wanted to look into also, but when I went back to the garage to pick my knackered VTS gearbox up, it had 'gone missing'. Arse.

Let us know how you go on James... pics are alwasys good too! smileys/smiley14.gif

What about driveshafts... if the box is a different depth, longer shafts may be required?

Sean
5th June 2006, 01:23
just did a quick bit of searching, xsara vts box is the same as the be3 box, and it fits directly onto the XU engines but not the TU engines, so it won't fit directly onto the saxo smileys/smiley2.gif
Simo for all the money you spend on 'boxes and driveshafts you could have been running be3 by now smileys/smiley17.gif

c8james
5th June 2006, 02:02
Is it then poss to buy or mod, bell houseing to fit??? Would input shaft require machining???

Sean
5th June 2006, 02:07
all a question of why you want to fit the xsara 'box mate? unless you're going to boost your car then there's no need really. there is a pugsport bellhousing for the conversion but it costs more than a few quid, then there's the custom driveshafts etc which aren't cheap, whereas you could pick up a saxo 'box for as little as £50 and all saxo 'boxes are interchangeable. smileys/smiley4.gif

Hazza17
5th June 2006, 02:12
get a diesel or 1.1 box if you want quicker acceleration!!

Sean
5th June 2006, 02:14
get a diesel or 1.1 box if you want quicker acceleration!!

1.1 box yes, diesel 'box no- it's the longest of the MA boxes smileys/smiley2.gif

c8james
5th June 2006, 02:30
Trying for max power from engine (na) so wantting a stronger box. We have all seen simo's car great as it is suffer from gearbox or driveshaft problems. Was going to use zsara hubs so i could use larger driveshafts and brakes as these will take 285mm discs without large caliper brakets.

gafvts
5th June 2006, 02:36
pretty sure the standard box will be fine mate,you got vtr or s?.

c8james
5th June 2006, 02:41
Got a vts. Have had a nosiy gearbox and thought it was clutch release bearing but no it was more than that. So gearbox on last legs. Been offerd a crashed zsara and thought it would be a good idea to try and mix and match. Car companys tend to be tight and like as many parts to be interchangable as poss

Simo
5th June 2006, 02:47
Ive only started ripping gearboxes apart since fitting the AP twin plate clutch... before fitting this clutch, earlier ones used to slip and save the gearbox.

Now the clutch is hard as nails, the next weakest thing is the diff. 3 of my boxes have gone by stripping the crown wheel from the diff.

Problem could be solved by welding the crown wheel on, but then whats the next weakest thing?? And what will break in the 'nicest' way?

Considered Quaife box and diff, but no guarantees and at £2k, its not something I want to blow up.

BE3/custom shafts probably the way forward... although has it been proven... really proven!? Modified casing mount and shafts are not going to be cheap??

I've been wanting to get into a gearbox discussion for wuite some time smileys/smiley17.gif

Soon, this will be moved to engines forum BTW. smileys/smiley14.gif

b0t13
5th June 2006, 05:22
im lost lol, erm what wonderful weather today..

boz
5th June 2006, 10:38
just been looking through demon tweeks cat, they do a few things for gearboxes. im sure i seen a uprated gearbox for saxo/106, was next to the quaiffe diffs. it was probs in the motorsport cat lol

Simo:
hows the car going?
i was reading about diffs the other day, read a bit that said if a drive shaft packed in using a diff, you would loose all drive to the wheels. is that all that went on yours?

boz
5th June 2006, 10:38
i mite be joining the gearbox/clutch club soon smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley17.gif

Simo
5th June 2006, 14:36
i was reading about diffs the other day, read a bit that said if a drive shaft packed in using a diff, you would loose all drive to the wheels. is that all that went on yours?

Yes, thats what happened to mine...

Previously lost all drive when crown wheel came off, accompanied by grinding noises smileys/smiley17.gif

This time shaft snapped and lost all drive without the grinding noises. Speedo was still indicating speed when in gear and revving, which made me suspect a different breakage.

Hopefully the diff isnt damaged by rotating at speed without the road wheels turning? smileys/smiley5.gif

Scott
5th June 2006, 14:54
BE3 hasnt been proven in a saxo yet i dont think, AndyL had his but blew a rod out the block first.

Ratty will be the man to really test the BE3....if he gets out the pub long enoughsmileys/smiley17.gif

Ratty
5th June 2006, 16:26
lol its not the pub its the DIY stores!

Simo
5th June 2006, 16:35
I think its about time Ratty updated us on his machine... not heard anyting in MONTHS!

Latest rumour I heard was that he'd fitted a 1L Uno lump in the back smileys/smiley17.gif

Scott
5th June 2006, 17:03
i heard it was a supercharged vespa

Ratty
5th June 2006, 17:14
i posted a spec and update! just need to sort a wiring problem then im pretty much done.

gafvts
5th June 2006, 22:38
can someone answer this question and correct me if i am wrong,why if you go be3 have they not made the input shaft any bigger as i think they are still the same size as the ma box shafts.I have already sheared the ends off the shaft on the other gearbox. smileys/smiley17.gif

Ratty
5th June 2006, 23:34
because they dont go on their own, its the bearings that go, and they are better on the be3

gafvts
5th June 2006, 23:39
surely if it is an uprated box everything should be uprated

Ratty
6th June 2006, 00:30
if you got an uprated box then it probs would be but the MA gearbox suffers from flex on high power cars so the bearings suffer this way (also too much wheelspinning will break the box no matter how much power you have)