PDA

View Full Version : slimline fans

readie
29th May 2011, 18:02
am thinking about swapping over to two slimline fans rather than having the OE one and then a second on a switch. the main reason for this was i recently took my fans out and they are really heavy.

i am looking for some advice on the following:

where should i get them from is there a well known brand etc(like mocal and oil coolers)

what size should i use? i want them to fit nicely side by side on the OE rad

is it best to use an aftermarket thermo or can i use the original and wire them into the original fan wiring?

thanks for the help lads!

AlexB
29th May 2011, 20:37
Spal iirc is a good make

Ive got one off ebay 12" is the size you want

Bedford126
29th May 2011, 22:12
+1 i have 2 of the ebay ones and work fine i just wired both to the origional fan power feed.

axsaxoman
30th May 2011, 07:54
2 smaller fans + relays = wiring will not be lighter than one std one --and if thats not enough then --lookfor your cooling problem--we only use one on a s/c conversion making twice the heat of std engine

Bedford126
30th May 2011, 15:34
Both my 2 fans run fine from the single relay and the feed from the o/e fan. What fan do you use on the s/c conversiona mate.

AlexB
30th May 2011, 17:28
I only use one fan

readie
31st May 2011, 07:41
i have never needed the second fan tbh its mainly for the looks it doesnt hurt having a back up though! lol

AlexB
31st May 2011, 08:52
does if there in front of the rad as they do block air getting through and 2 obviously blocks more air than one ;)

axsaxoman
31st May 2011, 09:49
Both my 2 fans run fine from the single relay and the feed from the o/e fan. What fan do you use on the s/c conversiona mate.

the fact you do not have a problem ,does not mean how you have wired it is correct ,or that you are not over loading the single relay .
citroen fit 2 relays ,so do any other makers using 2 fans --a fan can draw up to 70 amps as a spike on start up .
.the title of this forum is motorsport prep ,not bodge it prep .
which to me would infer that any info given on here should adhere to correct ways of doing things and not make do .
you always have the option it ignore any advice given ,but do not ,try to infer that what you have done is the CORRECT way please

Jungle
31st May 2011, 12:31
I used a cheapo 12" slimline fan off ebay. Mine uses original thermostat but new wiring with new relay. One single 12" fan is plenty.