PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers v Struts and springs

Jackman
6th June 2011, 17:30
Whats peoples opinions on this?

I've always ran Bilstein Group N's with Eibach springs, but thinking of going over to Coilovers after doing Llandow.

They car seemed to get quite a bit of roll/lean in the bends!

There was 2 other 205's there running GAZ coilovers which seemed alot more planted, which has got me thinking maybe its times to switch over!

Opinions?

kristel10589
6th June 2011, 17:38
with the coilovers you can go alot firmer whilst keeping the ride height you want. If you go to high though you will need to upgrade the dampers.

AndySAXO
6th June 2011, 17:48
Yer I would go for the gaz gold setup. You can then fine tune it. And have built in camber.

Jackman
6th June 2011, 17:51
Are the majority on here now running coilovers of some sort?

I remember when I bought the setup about 3 years ago it was one of the best around, and everyone was buying Bilsteins!

Seems everyone goes for Coilovers now!

Is there much difference between the 2 GAZ kits other than the £300 price difference?

adamskiTNR
6th June 2011, 17:54
Very much so. the cheaper kit is solely for people wanting to go low and the adjustability of the ride height.

AndySAXO
6th June 2011, 18:03
Yep get the gold the expensive, or if you could wait 2 months get the Ast setup. :)

Jackman
6th June 2011, 18:07
Very much so. the cheaper kit is solely for people wanting to go low and the adjustability of the ride height.

Pretty sure the other 205's there were running the cheaper kit! Not sure I wana spend that kinda money on suspenions lol!

Yep get the gold the expensive, or if you could wait 2 months get the Ast setup. :)

£1200 ? Not a chance!

Mochachino
6th June 2011, 18:09

I remember when I bought the setup about 3 years ago it was one of the best around, and everyone was buying Bilsteins!

Is there much difference between the 2 GAZ kits other than the £300 price difference?

The Gaz GHA wasnt that widley known them years ago, I cant even remember if they were even on the market that kit or whether it was just the Golds. Apart from the Gaz GHA majority of coilover kits are fairley expensive.

My personal choice would be either the Gaz Golds, or the Peugeot Sport France GrpNs. I found the Bilstein GrpNs quite harsh compared to the other two kits, comparing the two they actually felt like racelands! They wernt setup wrong either before assuming that, and a few other people share my opinion. Chrisvtr90 or whatever his username is, that had the Posi blue VTR ith Rallye head etc and now got the S2 rallye is one person with the same expereince and opinion.

KamRacing
6th June 2011, 21:25
You have road springs on a track car so you will have lots of roll.
Gaz are good if you are on a tight budget but I've seen good results with going for better quality such as KW for a road/trackcar.

mark1311
6th June 2011, 21:31
see this is the thing coilover dont have to cost silly amounts, make your own, you could keep the billis if grpN (maybe) then get convertion kit on your legs and then you can pick and choose what springs and height you like.

personali have gaz gold reali like them

JoshB
6th June 2011, 21:46

You see I'd disagree with you here. Not trying to have a personal dig or anything, but entering a tight bend at 40mph in 2nd gear, I can plant my foot on the accelerator and execute the bend with minimal tyre squeal. The car does not "roll" too much and it sticks to the tarmac well.

I'd say they are 200% better than the Billie 8's and Faulkner springs that my mate was running, but I do have solid topmounts and uprated (Vibratechnics) wishbone mounts.

KamRacing
6th June 2011, 22:14
Bet he has better ride comfort though. Gaz are nearly twice the springrate.

adamskiTNR
6th June 2011, 22:39
You see I'd disagree with you here. Not trying to have a personal dig or anything, but entering a tight bend at 40mph in 2nd gear, I can plant my foot on the accelerator and execute the bend with minimal tyre squeal. The car does not "roll" too much and it sticks to the tarmac well.

I'd say they are 200% better than the Billie 8's and Faulkner springs that my mate was running, but I do have solid topmounts and uprated (Vibratechnics) wishbone mounts.

stiff. yes. but the quality and regularity of the damper units reflects the cost. if you had a few forest stages with them they would probably fail. Same with spax. The adjusters are just horrible, and don't have any solid click stops on them, so calibrating them back to 0 then back up is dam hard.

Tom5190
7th June 2011, 00:21
AST's every time dude just save the monies up!

JoshB
7th June 2011, 05:59
stiff. yes. but the quality and regularity of the damper units reflects the cost. if you had a few forest stages with them they would probably fail. Same with spax. The adjusters are just horrible, and don't have any solid click stops on them, so calibrating them back to 0 then back up is dam hard.

Right, I see what youre saying. I must admit though I can put all my power down without any wheelspin when exiting bends.

I know what you mean about the adjusters though...

I wouldnt write Gaz off though for "just for going low", theyre pretty good on smooth tarmac.

But I know theres alot better out there.

sexy_gt
7th June 2011, 16:12
I use billie grp n and just switched to a faulkner 155 spring. Im happy for now. Will only require stronger springs if i switched from semi to full slicks.

Mieran
8th June 2011, 11:59

GHA kit you can only adjust stiffness, on the GOLD you can adjust stiffness and rebound but only downside is you don't get separate knobs, one controls both

Jackman
8th June 2011, 19:39
GHA kit you can only adjust stiffness, on the GOLD you can adjust stiffness and rebound but only downside is you don't get separate knobs, one controls both

That doesn't sound all bad ! Doubt I'd spend much time messing with either anyway lol!

Mieran
8th June 2011, 22:13
Deffo go for Golds if you can afford it. You can choose the spring rates too when you buy from them

adamskiTNR
9th June 2011, 18:39
when you know what you are doing, lots of adjustability can really help a set up of the car. after this you probably will never touch them.

mark1311
11th June 2011, 22:03
dont wont to start another thread on this but has some one got a picture of gaz gold rear shocks please?

Mieran
17th June 2011, 11:04
More more thing, not sure if this applies to Saxos but on the Gold kit the rear dampers don't have a bush in them, its a spherical bearing / rose joint instead so no play in them

Mochachino
17th June 2011, 11:17
dont wont to start another thread on this but has some one got a picture of gaz gold rear shocks please?

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/nath_vts/Saxo%20Parts/008.jpg

adamskiTNR
17th June 2011, 19:32
The saxo golds are still bushed. mainly due to the spacing

solvi
17th June 2011, 20:02
the bilsteins rear struts group A are rose jointed...

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/solvilight/02042011771.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/solvilight/11022011595.jpg

a cheaper than the golds..