PDA

View Full Version : torsion bar???

Ad_Raz
5th July 2006, 14:30
i just bought some lowering springs wit a drop of 50mm but i dont know how many notches on the torsion bar i will need to do or how low on the torsion bar to go in mm to make the car look level. could any 1 please help us out

Sean
5th July 2006, 14:35
firstly- do it properly NOT by notches that way you can get it level. if you dont know how to then get someone who can.
secondly, there are two torsion bars not one. :)

Ad_Raz
5th July 2006, 14:51
o right didnt realse there were 2 cheers, but the guy at the garage said i wouldn be able to get it level i'l have to drop more than 50mm at the back or he said i'l have to have it not as low but it will make the car point down. he also menitoned a brake valve at the back and said my brakes could lock up. is that true

Sean
5th July 2006, 15:00
if a MECHANIC says he can't remove torsion bars to adjust them properly then i'd be taking my car to another garage. of course you can get it level, if done properly the rear can be lowered 35, 40, 45, 48, 53, 55.5, 60mm however low you want it. and yes the brake load compensator valve on the rear axle will need slackened off or else the rear wheels will lock under even moderately hard braking. :)

Ad_Raz
5th July 2006, 15:27
nice one cheers mate. i'l prop go for the 48 or the 53 so its level thanks a lot mate

Sean
5th July 2006, 15:43
lol those arent the only amounts you can lower it by, i was using those as examples to say you can basically lower it by as little or as much as you like, doesnt have to be a specific amount ie one notch, two notches etc etc
just lower the rear so the car sits level and it matches the front. :)

Jimbo
5th July 2006, 16:37
Hmm, got me worried about that conpensator valve Sean.

How low do you have to go before you have problems!?

Sean
5th July 2006, 17:41
the load compensator valve comes into play when the boot is loaded ie the rear of the car sits lower. the valve detects this and puts more emphasis on rear braking as it 'thinks' the rear of the car is now heavier. when the rear is lowered it's the same as the boot being loaded (in other words the rear now sits lower) so again more emphasis is put on rear braking. take the passenger side rear wheel off and you'll see two springs, one large and one small. the smaller one gives the rear brakes a small amount of pressure under braking and doesn't have to be touched iirc. the larger spring is compressed when the rear is lowered and thus is fooled into thinking the car is heavier than normal so applies more pressure to the rear. just a case of slackening it off then taking the car for a drive until the rears no longer lock first under braking. :) always do it when lowering the rear as you don't want the rear locking first on a wet corner... :)

DarylVTR
5th July 2006, 19:13
Dont even talk to me about torsion bars 3 of my mates had their cars booked in to be lowered all came back including mine as failed. Bolts round off, torsion bars are always seized and its a fookin pain in the ass.

I have to have my axel dropped out on saturday and have the torsion bars unseized and bolts hammers off as they have rounded with age.

The process itself is very easy, we idd my mates lowered 1` side easy then got to the other and it was seized ands took us 4hrs of WD40 and hitting it and it still didnt budge so we are all buggered.

Good luck with yours, its easy of you remove torsion bars instead of doing it by notches and mucxh much more accurate.

Ax_beefy
5th July 2006, 20:38
Coca colas the winner for siezed bars mate!... pour some on and then WD40 it all week before hand!

Jimbo
5th July 2006, 23:24
Waste Coke? No thanks.

I'll need to get on that sean. Although mine is only 50ish at the back, and have had no problems in the 3 months i've been driving it around lowered.

Mattvtr
5th July 2006, 23:27
waste some tesco extra value 12p for a 3litre bottle coke.lol
also bluefurio your link to your car aint working for me...

Sean
6th July 2006, 12:53
Waste Coke? No thanks.

I'll need to get on that sean. Although mine is only 50ish at the back, and have had no problems in the 3 months i've been driving it around lowered.

i'll bet your rear brake pads need replaced before your front ones then ;)

JamesRacey
18th July 2006, 21:30
can somebody send me a guide through, on how to lower the back of my saxo vtr please. I would be very thankful

JamesRacey
18th July 2006, 21:31
my email address is. michelle.njn@btinternet.com

JamesRacey
18th July 2006, 21:35
could you send me a guide through on lowering the back end of my saxo. manyy thanks. Email address: michelle.njn@btinternet.com

Mattvtr
19th July 2006, 21:08
do a search

RcH
20th July 2006, 22:52
wat is it with people hijacking threads with crap!!