PDA

View Full Version : Optimum ride height?

MuZiZZle
14th October 2011, 17:16
My VTS came to me low, am guessing too low but I don't really have any way of knowing how low it is!?!

I plan on sticking to 15's and running 195/50/15s

What would be the ideal drop? 35? 45?

And is there any way I can work out how much it's been lowered? Obviously the front I can change the springs, but the torsion bar?

Mochachino
14th October 2011, 17:25
I wouldnt say there is a perfect height. It would be in the region of standard -35 +10 maybe? Anything more than that and the geometry of the steering etc will be abit caput. Rear end is up to you on personal preference.

Axsaxoman or whatever his name is posted the measurments between the floor and the jacking points the other day, search his posts although I dont know what size tyres + wheels that was on.

MuZiZZle
14th October 2011, 17:26
So -25?

:p

Is there any way of working out the rear height?

shell-vt
14th October 2011, 17:28
we had ours returned to standard hight and it feels much better than it did lowerd, but everyone is diffrent..

Mochachino
14th October 2011, 17:29
So -25?

:p

Is there any way of working out the rear height?

Remove your damper with the rear of the car fully off the ground both sides. Put the damper bolts back into the damper holes on the beam and measure the gap.

MuZiZZle
14th October 2011, 17:37
we had ours returned to standard hight and it feels much better than it did lowerd, but everyone is diffrent..

Where was that done? £££?

shell-vt
14th October 2011, 18:47
manics very last car they did.

MuZiZZle
14th October 2011, 19:23
Agh :(

Anyone else up here worth using?

blackie_2k5
14th October 2011, 19:53
williamsvts will do it for you, ashington way

shell-vt
14th October 2011, 20:04
yer williams £50 usually just rear beam..

AlexB
14th October 2011, 21:19
Remove your damper with the rear of the car fully off the ground both sides. Put the damper bolts back into the damper holes on the beam and measure the gap.

i allways measure the hub lip to the arch

tuck the lip of the tape measure into the dust cover on the hub nut at the top
standard height is a handy 400mm to the centre of the wheel arch

so if your 360mm your 40mm down
350mm is 50 down
ect ect

Liam_
14th October 2011, 22:24
Williams does a top job - he lowered the back of my brother's 106 recently.

Personally, I wouldn't go any lower than -35mm from standard.

AlexB
15th October 2011, 06:45
Its personal choice though

Note most post are imo
like my cars 50 down and i have no adverse effects
we made leas old grey saxo handle reasonably at over 100 on the front
some stock hatch and most saxmax cars are pretty low too like toads old stock hatch gazs were at least 70mm down and fixed pans still

Just to throw a spanner in the works lol

axsaxoman
15th October 2011, 08:28
-40mm is the lowest you should ever go on normal type of springs at normal sort of rates that are comfortable for road use .
where ever you set the height you want the back jacking points at least 15-20mm higher than front ones--that will give you the right balance

MuZiZZle
24th October 2011, 18:59
Am going to try and sort some Bilstein group N tarmac dampers and some faulkner springs so I'll get the rear adjusted to suit

Cheers folks

rumble291
26th November 2011, 20:08
I had 40mm drop on the front and no drop on the rear for a while until I had the time to drop the rear.

Main thing I noticed was the turn in to sharp corners was miles better however the rear end was way too light and tail happy, felt unstable when corning.

Best balance is what axsaxoman said and have the rear slightly higher than the front will give you good turn in as well as a bit of oversteer when you want it. 40mm drop all round is good as it feel glued to the road but a bit more turn in and oversteer would be better for me personally.

I'd go for 40mm on the front and 35 maybe 30 on the rear to give that nice nose down look as well ;)

rorz_vts
28th November 2011, 11:24
I'd go for 40mm on the front and 35 maybe 30 on the rear to give that nice nose down look as well ;)

thats what i had on my old vts, handled like a dream

harry289
30th November 2011, 15:04
I found having the rear slightly higher than the front gave a sharper turn in and i was able to get on the power much earlier. Plus understeer was reduced and any oversteer is cured by a bit of throttle :P

solvi
30th November 2011, 15:17
dont go too mutch , 35 is ok .

solvi
30th November 2011, 15:19
I found having the rear slightly higher than the front gave a sharper turn in and i was able to get on the power much earlier. Plus understeer was reduced and any oversteer is cured by a bit of throttle :P

that is because when you pull hard the front will lift and the all car will stay paralel to track!!!