PDA

View Full Version : What Car To Pull A Saxo on a Trailor?

Dean-VTR
23rd October 2011, 17:16
When my insurance runs out im going to declare my saxo off the road and go more track crazy on it.

Im at the stage now that after declaring the mods i have on it insurance is getting stupid. And getting a trailor of some sort and declaring my saxo off the road and investing in a car that will pull my saxo on a trailor seems a cheaper option.

IE something standard, diesel and can pull a saxo on a trailor and doesnt cost the earth.

I was thinking along the lines of a passat/mondeo/vectra

They all seem to be pretty bullet proofish and dont cost a bomb.

Just after people experiences with pulling trailors / caravans etc.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Dean

wolf_gsxr
23rd October 2011, 18:08
I've got a 2.0 dti signum (fancy vectra sort of) that does the job. However what I would reccomend is wen you decide on what model you want pick the engine with the most torque. I wish I got the 2.2 dti but I couldn't find one so got the 2.0

Tontsy
23rd October 2011, 18:46
dodge viper.

560 FtLb would be plenty to pull a 700kilo saxo.

AlexB
23rd October 2011, 19:17
this thread may be of use

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382872

sexy_gt
27th October 2011, 11:54
dean u allowed to use ur works van?

Dean-VTR
27th October 2011, 12:02
not anymore mate, my boss has changed insurance policies, which allows younger people to drive the vans but it loses the perk of using it in social usage :(

Ive had some insurance quotes on modeos and vextras there like £2500 plus, screw that but i was looking at getting a vivaro or a transit for my daily vehicle/trailor puller and i got quotes for insurance at £1000 which for me is ace with 3 points and a claim against
me

so looks like im going to save up for a van :)

And the garages i can rent near my house are only £9.71 so saxos going in there

stuart-h
27th October 2011, 19:13
I'd get a twin axle trailor as well. Handle better than a single axle!!

e8_pqck
27th October 2011, 19:17
i bought a merc E300TD to pull my AX - bulletproof, comfortable and cheap - nice bit of luxury barge. Quick aswell for what they are, they were the fastest diesel for a few years running iirc.

Dave_P
27th October 2011, 19:19
so looks like im going to save up for a van :)

If you go for a van get a window one or one that states "diesel car" on the V5, you'll then be able to legally do car speeds on the roads.

VW T4 FTW. ;)

Jay_
27th October 2011, 23:52
VW T4 FTW. ;)
Don't think you could get much more awesome...

axsaxoman
28th October 2011, 09:48
bhp is not the ost important part when towing
physical weight of the tow vehicle is what matters--so the trailer does not try to unstick the tow vehicle ,any modern diesel with 100bhp or more will do a good job ,petrol vehicle you will need 150bhp to do the same
weight is the important bit for towing + yes 4 wheel trailer is better ,but then the trailer will be heavier ,so look at weight of trailer =race car combined to see what weight of vehicle you need LEGALLY to tow it ,
not many cars wil be heaviy enough to be legal
you can find all info on line at dvla ofr towing weights +speeds --above a cerain percantage of tow vehilce to trailer you are limited to a lower speed --
on the vin plate of vehicle you will have axle weights + gross train weights --that is total weight of tow vehicle +trailer inc load,but the towing vehicle must be a cetain percentage of the total train weight
yes a tranny is a good choice --not a berlingo --too light

Saaamon
10th November 2011, 22:09
What license have you got? You'll need a B+E entitlement to tow a saxo on a trailer. Assuming you've got implied rights, towing isn't hard too so long as your on the ball, remember to use your forward place at junctions, traffic lights and roundabouts etc and dont be scared to block lanes on approach if you need the extra space, you can always give the space back.

Be warned though, i hear the police and vosa are really on the case of people pulling trailers without the correct license, in case your tempted to chance it.

Any questions i'll try and answer them as best as i can, being a lorry driver i know abit about this subject.

Alanapone
10th November 2011, 22:25
So technically, COULD you tow a tracked Saxo with another Saxo?

Probably not i'd guess due to weights and low power BUT "technically" could you and if so, what sort of power would you likely need in the tow car?

Saaamon
10th November 2011, 22:30
So technically, COULD you tow a tracked Saxo with another Saxo?

Probably not i'd guess due to weights and low power BUT "technically" could you and if so, what sort of power would you likely need in the tow car?

Is a saxo even plated to tow, if they are cant see it being more than 750kg which is not enough. 2litre mondeo,, vectra kind of affair should do the trick. Need to look at the VIN plate, second line down should give you the GCW.

axsaxoman
11th November 2011, 08:35
first thing is what is the weight of the car =trailer you are going to tow
that will tell you minimum weight of vehicle to tow it with
so NO a saxo cannot pull another saxo on a trailor
go to the local police station and ,or search on line for towing regs

blackie_2k5
11th November 2011, 15:59
direct.gov tells you all you need to know its owrth reeading the penalties for being caught in the wrong are severe with fines and points. and you cant appeal as your legally obliged to check yourself. its your license

best bet is a van if you can get one. eg small transit as said. plenty roomin back for tools and spares aswell

but worth noting. 6 points for towing without license. and thats a min + fine

Dean-VTR
11th November 2011, 20:26
i think im settled on a vauxhall vivaro

Cheapish and reliable :)

Dave_P
11th November 2011, 20:36
i think im settled on a vauxhall vivaro

Cheapish and reliable :)

Weak gearboxes... :n:

blackie_2k5
11th November 2011, 21:25
go for the transit..there's a reason theyre the most common older van on the road ;)

i quite fancey a vito tbh. probs go for a transit but will have to be a new shape lol

Dean-VTR
12th November 2011, 17:23
Weak gearboxes... :n:

i thought that was only the 6 speed newer ones not the older 5 speed ones?

and ill have a look round for a cheap transit aswell

Saaamon
14th November 2011, 19:03
first thing is what is the weight of the car =trailer you are going to tow
that will tell you minimum weight of vehicle to tow it with
so NO a saxo cannot pull another saxo on a trailor
go to the local police station and ,or search on line for towing regs

Whats the weight of the prime mover got to do with the weight of the trailer and load?

blackie_2k5
14th November 2011, 20:54
the tow car has to exceed the weight of the trailer and its load, so if you have a 350kg trailer and 1ton car, +wheels etc, your not gonna get far with a clio for example, so you need to take into account the total mass of your trailer and load to see which cars are suitable

Saaamon
14th November 2011, 23:55
the tow car has to exceed the weight of the trailer and its load, so if you have a 350kg trailer and 1ton car, +wheels etc, your not gonna get far with a clio for example, so you need to take into account the total mass of your trailer and load to see which cars are suitable

Ever wondered how an artic works then?

A defender has a gross train weight of 7t, the unit weighs 2.5t I would say, leaving 4.5ts for the trailer plus load, perfectly legal and if you know what your doing very easy to drive.

qrty
15th November 2011, 11:38
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m272/drqrty/Trailor.jpg

Both right! Depends on what license, if the trailer is braked or not and also the vehicle used to tow!

Some cars are OK to tow a load heavier than the car, usually this is due to the fact they have enough power to tow the load safely! Most loads heavier than the car though require braked trailers due to insufficient stopping power! Some cars no matter if the trailer is braked or not just aren't capable of pulling loads greater than the weight of the car!

Examples:

Audi A4 2007 2.0TDI
Weight
1510 kg
Unbraked Towing Weight
750 kg
Braked Towing Weight
1800 kg

Vauxhall Astra 2004 1.4i 16V
Weight
1188 kg
Unbraked Towing Weight
550 kg
Braked Towing Weight
900 kg

Hope this helps!

blackie_2k5
15th November 2011, 20:39
Ever wondered how an artic works then?

A defender has a gross train weight of 7t, the unit weighs 2.5t I would say, leaving 4.5ts for the trailer plus load, perfectly legal and if you know what your doing very easy to drive.

as qrty sais really,

in those instances that's what the plates are for mate :) this is why your land rover can do this, its been tested and is safe and capable, and artic's etc are designed to do that job, and also have BIG air brakes and lots of torque to cope with any drama if need be,(the shape of an artic also plays a big part, it cuts trough the air and the air rushing past keeps the trailer more stable, where as this is diff in a car as itll most likely be smaller or bigger then your trailer in shape terms) but still nothing saying theyll stil cope in an emergency

your average pcv (car) will not, so you have to be careful, if you have a car weighing under what your trailer and contents weigh, you run a high risk of an accident, there are ppl who run like this for years with no issues, but it only takes one big gradient, one kid to run out... or car to make an emergency stop, and your heavy trailer starts pushing you along the road with your foot welding the brake pedal to the floor, as its too heavy to counter the trailer and the brakes arent capable of stopping it, or if they are the trailer starts to try over take you or forces your wheels to lock and slide, and thats before you get onto windy days etc

if your a driver you should have learned all this yeah? best to stick to the guidlines, keeps everyone safe, and may stop you going to jail if say you kill someone in an accident that possibley wasnt even your fault

guidline is around 85% iirc? may have to check that one.. above this even in normal conditions it can become pretty unstable

Saaamon
15th November 2011, 21:45
as qrty sais really,

in those instances that's what the plates are for mate :) this is why your land rover can do this, its been tested and is safe and capable, and artic's etc are designed to do that job, and also have BIG air brakes and lots of torque to cope with any drama if need be,(the shape of an artic also plays a big part, it cuts trough the air and the air rushing past keeps the trailer more stable, where as this is diff in a car as itll most likely be smaller or bigger then your trailer in shape terms) but still nothing saying theyll stil cope in an emergency

your average pcv (car) will not, so you have to be careful, if you have a car weighing under what your trailer and contents weigh, you run a high risk of an accident, there are ppl who run like this for years with no issues, but it only takes one big gradient, one kid to run out... or car to make an emergency stop, and your heavy trailer starts pushing you along the road with your foot welding the brake pedal to the floor, as its too heavy to counter the trailer and the brakes arent capable of stopping it, or if they are the trailer starts to try over take you or forces your wheels to lock and slide, and thats before you get onto windy days etc

if your a driver you should have learned all this yeah? best to stick to the guidlines, keeps everyone safe, and may stop you going to jail if say you kill someone in an accident that possibley wasnt even your fault

guidline is around 85% iirc? may have to check that one.. above this even in normal conditions it can become pretty unstable

What license do you have? CAT B?

The plating certificate tells you what your car can tow, regardless of anything.

QRTY, all trailers over 750kg must be braked.

Dave_P
17th November 2011, 16:46
Re: suitable trailers.

If you plan on trailering a saxo/106 they just squeeze onto a Brian James Minno trailer, my BJ Minno weighs 380kg's and i think they take a 1200kg load.

The best thing is the Minno also fits into a std car garage which is handy if your short of garage space.

I park my 106 on the trailer in the garage. :)

(old pic/old garage)
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/16v_rallye/17092009110.jpg

BJ also do a Clubman trailer that fits in a std size car garage.

Hope this helps. :)

Alanapone
17th November 2011, 16:50
How much are they?
I just got some quotes for my VTS.... No chance is all I'm saying! I'd rather get a tow-bar and a trailer!

Dave_P
17th November 2011, 16:58
How much are they?

I paid £1000 for my trailer a few yrs ago, it has a box for 4 jerry cans/longer ramps & winch fitted.

Some on Pistonheads...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3408534.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3347789.htm

sexy_gt
17th November 2011, 20:33
who says a saxo cant tow another saxo ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/sexy_gt/saxo%20vts/2011-10-15121836800x600.jpg

blackie_2k5
17th November 2011, 20:40
that right there got my brother 6 points ^^

EDIT- saaaaamon i know :y: i was only clarifying what johns statement was about :y:

benkelsall
17th November 2011, 21:46
Transit van and you'll be sorted :D

Saaamon
17th November 2011, 23:15
that right there got my brother 6 points ^^

EDIT- saaaaamon i know :y: i was only clarifying what johns statement was about :y:

Cheers. Just for the record I've got a CE license.

sexy_gt
18th November 2011, 05:41
From the track.to the gates at donington ;)