PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

Dave_M
15th July 2006, 18:43
Ive done some searching and read many a thread. The replies are very wide.
As i was thinking about lowering my saxo vtr (mk1) by 50mm all round. First of all was to go down 40mm on just springs then decided to go 50 instead. Is it wise to get full kit when going down more than 40mm? Thats what vibe i was getting after searching anyway. But was just wondering if theres a good chance of getting problems if i just lowerd on springs?

Also i have 16" alloys on low profile tyres. Im pretty sure i wont get any rubbing seen as person who had wheels before was down 60. But i was just wondering on handling? Would it be better than it is now (at standard height). As ive read various replies saying 40mm is best any lower and you start to lose handling but some saying down 60mm and handling is brilliant.

Im not too good with the mechanic side of cars so any help would be much appreciated :Y:

beastgtir
15th July 2006, 20:01
over 40mm u have to get the PAS pipe bent upwards (think mark2 only though?)

over 40mm drop and you should get a full kit as over 40mm will kill the shocks quickly. handling is best at 40mm from what ive heard but people recommened a strut brace when lowering.

rubbing is easily sorted by removing the arch liners.

im going down 40mm on springs only..

DevilDamo
15th July 2006, 20:13
Hmmm...

You don't HAVE TO have the PAS bent up/moved/re-located. For example like on mine... it was fine. It's just good to check.

If you go lower than 40mm, then it's recommended to have uprated shocks/dampers. You don't need a kit but if you're upgrading the shocks and dampers all round, then it might work out cheaper just to buy a whole kit (which will also include the front springs).

Best handling is normally considered around 35/40mm. If you're wanting the car to be stiffer, etc... then get yourself a lower strut brace. The upper ones are good but if you're after stiffness, then they wont be of much good as a lower one.

If you have 16" wheels with 40 profiles then you should be ok. If you had 45mm profile tyres, then you're more than likely to experience some rubbing. This can be easily rectified and as beastgtir said... this can be done by making some alterations to the arch liners.

The car will handle a lot better when lowered 35/40mm. At the end of the day, it depends what you're trying to achieve from having the car lowered. Is it handling or looks or a combination of both? Saxo's lowered 40mm does look good. For handling performance, it's recommended not to go over the top with the size of the rims. 15" rims are a good size. I myself am down 60mm and the handling is a lot better than it was before I had it lowered and it also looks hell of a lot better.

puzzledzippy
15th July 2006, 20:15
i didnt have to move mine eighter had a look yesterday as i have only just found out where it is and theres about 10mm gap

Dave_M
16th July 2006, 00:09
Hmmm...

You don't HAVE TO have the PAS bent up/moved/re-located. For example like on mine... it was fine. It's just good to check.

If you go lower than 40mm, then it's recommended to have uprated shocks/dampers. You don't need a kit but if you're upgrading the shocks and dampers all round, then it might work out cheaper just to buy a whole kit (which will also include the front springs).

Best handling is normally considered around 35/40mm. If you're wanting the car to be stiffer, etc... then get yourself a lower strut brace. The upper ones are good but if you're after stiffness, then they wont be of much good as a lower one.

If you have 16" wheels with 40 profiles then you should be ok. If you had 45mm profile tyres, then you're more than likely to experience some rubbing. This can be easily rectified and as beastgtir said... this can be done by making some alterations to the arch liners.

The car will handle a lot better when lowered 35/40mm. At the end of the day, it depends what you're trying to achieve from having the car lowered. Is it handling or looks or a combination of both? Saxo's lowered 40mm does look good. For handling performance, it's recommended not to go over the top with the size of the rims. 15" rims are a good size. I myself am down 60mm and the handling is a lot better than it was before I had it lowered and it also looks hell of a lot better.

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at going down 40mm. I want it to rest just above the alloys/tyres. Ive seen as few 40mm that sit nicely but also seen some that sit abit high and does look abit standard. And i dont really want to have to do it agen if i dont like it. Might just go down 40 on springs for the time being seen as i havent got much money. Was looking to get some strut braces aswell in the near future.

Think the shocks and that im using will be off my mk2. Which guy before me replaced quite recent due to somethink. All brand new parts from citreon. So they wont have had more than 15k on them. Better than my mk1 ones which have been on since day 1 i dare say.

Johnno
16th July 2006, 10:04
if its 40 at front how much should it be at back? 50-55??

shaggers_saxvtr
16th July 2006, 11:29
Om getting mne lowered in the next week, wanted to go 50 at first but heard about all the handling and performance information and have decided that it is bettter to just go 40 as I am only using springs, not a whole kit- thinking of dropping the front on eibach springs to 40mm and the rear torsion bar to 50mm. . . bit of a thread hi-jack - sorry, but is this a sensible thing to do: front -40mm rear: 50mm . . .Thanks!

DevilDamo
16th July 2006, 11:38
If you lower the front 35, 40, 50, 60mm (whatever), then just have the rear lowered to suit. There are no set dimensions/figures.

Strut braces... Lower for handling. Upper for styling (imo).

Dave_M
16th July 2006, 12:04
Om getting mne lowered in the next week, wanted to go 50 at first but heard about all the handling and performance information and have decided that it is bettter to just go 40 as I am only using springs, not a whole kit- thinking of dropping the front on eibach springs to 40mm and the rear torsion bar to 50mm. . . bit of a thread hi-jack - sorry, but is this a sensible thing to do: front -40mm rear: 50mm . . .Thanks!

how much are the eibach springs mate? And where you get them from. Most sites ive seen its just like spax :oops:

Geoff
16th July 2006, 14:07
i went down 40m front 40/45 rear on a full spax lowering kit . cars miles better sits just nice i wouldnt go 60 as i heard alot of different storys .

Dave_M
16th July 2006, 14:46
i went down 40m front 40/45 rear on a full spax lowering kit . cars miles better sits just nice i wouldnt go 60 as i heard alot of different storys .

You got a picture of that mate?

BruceybabyVTR
16th July 2006, 14:58
I thought, handling wise, the back end was meant to be silghtly higher at the back, than it is at the front? so if you go down 40 at the front, u shud do 40 at the rear so that back is still higher than at the front?

em, did what i say just make sense?

shaggers_saxvtr
17th July 2006, 00:08
how much are the eibach springs mate? And where you get them from. Most sites ive seen its just like spax :oops:

Been offered them at £99 through Trac-Art, a performance store/fitters in ashford. But might see if I can get them cheaper!

Dave_M
19th July 2006, 11:21
Ive decided to go down 40mm all round on just springs for time being. I was just wondering if these are good springs to use

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=48605

I looked at all eibach, koni, bilstein springs. But none did 40mm. If anyone has a link to them doing 40mm springs. Please post up or pm me link. Thanks.

Will probably get new shocks and that when i get the money. And either keep it at 40mm all round or maybe go 50 if i want it abit lower.

S34MER
19th July 2006, 14:24
yeah spax are pretty good!

POWARTEK
22nd July 2006, 17:55
Spax are good, a little firm but good. others to look at would be Apex, considering a full kit will cost £230 and much better than dare i say it...G-Max.

saxovtrandy
23rd July 2006, 17:57
if your after eibach springs id check out rtecshop.co.uk

from what ive heard there meant to be pretty good and fairly cheap!!!

Dave_M
24th July 2006, 00:05
Cheers mate. Will check it out.