PDA

View Full Version : Macro lens required!!!

Simo
22nd July 2006, 23:51
Since buying my 350D I have wanted to get into real macro photography. Today I decided to go and buy a macro lens... unfortunately both Jessops and Wildings didnt have any Canon-fitment macro lenses in stock... except the Canon 60mm. :ill:

The lenses I have been considering, due to recommendations are : -

- Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP DI Macro 1:1 (Canon AF)

- Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro USM

Using Jessops as an example, the Tamron lens costs £369.99 and the Canon lens costs £405.99 :fcuk:

So they are both pretty much the same price.. and seemingly much more expensive than over in Clog-land?!?!?!

I can probably shop around and fnd cheaper... but with such a small difference in price, am I best opting for the Canon 100mm? IS the Canon 1:1? The Canon brochure doesnt appear to say :err:

Any comments or recommendations?

Frevo
24th July 2006, 06:52
Yeah they're cheaper over here.
The Tamron is 388 euro's, the canon 509 euro's.

They're both very good. The Tamron is tested a little sharper (but so little that you won't notice that) and the Canon doesn't extend during focussing and has USM. Not extending is great because the lens keeps the same distance from the insect, so you don't scare it. USM isn't that important for macro photography as you'll be focussing manually most of the time.

They're both 1:1 and there's not much difference between them.
With the prices over here I'd get the Tamron as it's quite a bit cheaper, but if you can get the Canon for only a little bit more, then I would get that, mainly because it doesn't extend.
Though I think you should be able the get them cheaper in the UK. Dave Galpin always gets his lenses cheaper than they are over here, maybe he knows a good shop?

btw review of the tamron here (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_90_28/index.htm) and review of the Canon here (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_100_28/index.htm).

GreenSaxo
25th July 2006, 16:55
stupid comment/question lol

cant you just hold/selotape a magnifying glass to the end of your current lens?? :P

Frevo
25th July 2006, 22:22
Yes you can and the pics will be shite. :D:

Barry123
25th July 2006, 22:29
I think my 300mm Macro was in the £350 region. Was worth it though!

Frevo
26th July 2006, 07:54
That's not a macro lens though... that's a lens with macro function, something completely different. A real macro lens can get a 1:1 magnification, a lens with macro function (that a lot of sigma's for example have) mean you have a closer focussing distance, but you can't even get near a 1:1 magnification.

Barry123
26th July 2006, 08:15
That's not a macro lens though... that's a lens with macro function, something completely different. A real macro lens can get a 1:1 magnification, a lens with macro function (that a lot of sigma's for example have) mean you have a closer focussing distance, but you can't even get near a 1:1 magnification.

oooooooooooooo sorry :P

Still gives excellent results though.

Might have a look around for a geniune macro lens then :)

Simo
26th July 2006, 10:35
I currently have a Sigma 300mm lens with macro function.. and its not what Im after.

Fred... do yuo know which company Dave buys his lenses from? A quick net search shows up some pretty cheap prices, but ive never heard of any of the companies!?

Frevo
26th July 2006, 10:39
No I don't.
Maybe you can find a good shop here? (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/)

DaveG
28th July 2006, 17:53
Si - I use assorted retailers

www.warehouseexpress.com generally have the most stock and cheapest prices

The Canon forum that old Cloggy has posted won't list any shops but there will be a mass of threads and info about what macro lenses are the best etc

MikeCracknell
3rd August 2006, 17:53
That macro I got was £250 i think - new sigma 105 mm macro...I have posted some pics on here that i did with it before....somewhere in this forum!.

Mike