PDA

View Full Version : help please trying lower my car ent got far

garybuk
23rd July 2006, 11:49
Im trying lower the front of my car but not sure what size the nut in the middle is and how to get it off its like been punched in do i have to punch it back out plzz help http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/saxo123/photo4414.jpg

Andy_S
23rd July 2006, 16:04
The nut is staked in place to stop it from working loose and so you must use a hammer and chisel to un-stake the nut.

This nut is very tight and so you may find it difficult to remove. Ask somebody to apply pressure to the brake pedal whilst trying to slacken. Make sure you use the correct size of socket.

Jason_VTS
24th July 2006, 16:38
or just use a rattle gun.. sorted.. lol.. Yea tap the bent bit back out, try not to snap it tho as they break easy if they bin worked alot.. an get a big fuck off bar to crack the nut off.. ;)

garybuk
24th July 2006, 17:00
or just use a rattle gun.. sorted.. lol.. Yea tap the bent bit back out, try not to snap it tho as they break easy if they bin worked alot.. an get a big fuck off bar to crack the nut off.. ;)
whats a rattle gun??? its doing my head in i cant get it off i wana drill it off and use new nuts lol

Scott
24th July 2006, 17:17
if you drill it out its new driveshafts and nuts you will be needing.

Go to halfords or local car shop and buy a massive breaker bar and as has been suggested if that still does not work use a bit of pole or anything to put over the end of the bar to extend it and give further leverage

garybuk
24th July 2006, 19:30
wot happends if i ent got the bent bits back al the way?

Ax_beefy
24th July 2006, 22:36
You only need to relieve the staking a bit it doesn't have to be completely free... you now need a long breakers bar and a 30mm socket... either put the wheel back on and put the car in a gear that opposes the direction it wants to mave when turning the wheel or get someone on the brakes.... and give it a hell of a push!!!!... use a new nut to refit and make sure you restake it well!, the one in the pic appears to be very badly staked as, it would take me around 2 seconds to undo that hub nut with just the bar!

garybuk
25th July 2006, 09:21
You only need to relieve the staking a bit it doesn't have to be completely free... you now need a long breakers bar and a 30mm socket... either put the wheel back on and put the car in a gear that opposes the direction it wants to mave when turning the wheel or get someone on the brakes.... and give it a hell of a push!!!!... use a new nut to refit and make sure you restake it well!, the one in the pic appears to be very badly staked as, it would take me around 2 seconds to undo that hub nut with just the bar!
Ok thanks i will try again sooon ,ware would i get a new nut from i dont have a citron dealer near me:(

l1ukeRS
25th July 2006, 12:41
any car parts dealer will have them in stock i would have thought dont ever go to citroen for your parts! they'll rob you blind, do as they say matey, it will come off if yu get a breaker bar, if you have a market near you ull pick one up off a tool stand for 5-10 quid then you'll b away, but just price up that if you have to buy that, your time, the spring clamps if you dont have them it may cheaper to have a mobile mechanic come out and do it

Ax_beefy
25th July 2006, 22:28
You also need a T40 bit and an 18mm open ratchet or large ring spanner to take the strut top nut off.... I often find that even with the right tools the torx thread in the top of the damper rod will round off, this requires a trip to the local garage to split the nut and a new damper... also I often find the strut top bearing is dry and split so needs replacing..... when re-tightening the 3 strut supports on the turrets use a torque wrench as these sheer off very easily!.... to be honest putting springs on the front is actually one of the most unpredictable procedures to undertake as something always goes wrong when doing it!.... thats why I don't bother offering my services all the time lol