PDA

View Full Version : sunroof plate

sexy_gt
18th February 2012, 07:46
i am going to remove the sunroof today and plate it up. once removed the sunroof, glass/runner unit is it wise to also remove the cage part that gives the roof strenth arround the sunroof unit?

cheers

AlexB
18th February 2012, 08:36
If you have a cage the support unit doesnt matter much
can allways get the lighter rallye roof brace to put in there and stop the shell flexing

sexy_gt
18th February 2012, 08:52
i have a cage

AlexB
18th February 2012, 09:07
Figured you would lol
The only thhing would be the shell flexing around the cage a little more

I removed mine years back on my 106 i never finished but had a full weld in sd cage with a and b pillar gussets so wasnt worried about shell flex

Iirc the rallyes brace is like 40 quid new and is a lot lighter than the sunroof surround so id play safe and get that and mig it in place

sexy_gt
18th February 2012, 09:21
i might trim the inner part and leave the surround, if you have done one you will know what i mean... if you understand my description lol.

pictures to follow

AlexB
18th February 2012, 10:23
Could trim the inner lip out yea that wouldnt effect it much and would save weight

JoshB
18th February 2012, 10:31
All the sunroof was trimmed out on my old one, I had a cage and the B pillars never flexed. It just had a slight lip to provide a bit of stability.

adamskiTNR
18th February 2012, 12:22
I would take it all out. you can buy a straight brace from all non sunroof models. dam cheap from citroen. mark has one you can buy off me. aswell as a flat roof if you want it

sexy_gt
18th February 2012, 19:52
dont want to change the whole skin, gentleman i work with on a weekend lately made a boo,boo and cut the donar skin too small so its on hold for a week or two.

best bit is for those that know im breaking my scooby, im using a piece of its roof ;)

regarding the part we are talking about removing. i am going to trim it down.

im mainly plating the roof as the sunroof has shattered both sides runners and opens up when at speed, also leaks.

SGregg
18th February 2012, 19:56
I would take it all out. you can buy a straight brace from all non sunroof models. dam cheap from citroen. mark has one you can buy off me. aswell as a flat roof if you want it

non-sunroof skin? How much please?

mark1311
19th February 2012, 11:32
Strew stop been a right arse and bring it down 300quid supplied and fitted;)

adamskiTNR
19th February 2012, 12:39
It's currently at marks, with the necessary support strut. You can arrange it with mark (above) if you want it fitting etc.

SGregg
20th February 2012, 23:15
how much just for the roof skin please? Should be able to fit it myself

adamskiTNR
21st February 2012, 11:08
Drop mark a pm, he should be able to sort it all out with you

sexy_gt
21st February 2012, 17:33
Strew stop been a right arse and bring it down 300quid supplied and fitted;)

£300 to stop a leak and save 5-6 kilo. cant justify it :fcuk: