PDA

View Full Version : 6x13 wheels; lightest and cheapest?

NickRDK
26th February 2012, 20:21
Looking for some 6x13 wheels to run this year on my hillclimb car subject to it being finished in time. Any ideas what is out there on a budget?

Had thought XR2 pepper pots but could do with some more inspiration.

Tyre choice will probably be Avon ZZR 185/55/13 so wheels have to be between 5.5 and 7 inch

qrty
27th February 2012, 13:45
Compomotive CXR's? Some bargains pop up on eBay!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/189423991_6656839763.jpg

JoshB
28th February 2012, 07:05
There's tons of Ford wheels to choose from, Weller wheels, minilites.

NickRDK
29th February 2012, 12:33
Compomotive CXR's? Some bargains pop up on eBay!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/189423991_6656839763.jpg

Keeping a eye out for these now!

There's tons of Ford wheels to choose from, Weller wheels, minilites.

Would like some minilites, just gonna see what comes up thats a good deal.

axsaxoman
2nd March 2012, 13:57
cheap+ light don,t usually go together
how light or how cheap?
13" steel rims will not br heavy or expensive
yokohama used to do a 175 x50 x 13 in road legal pattern (6"rim) --which was smallest dia tyre you could run with any width + if not changing from std ma gearing you will be overgeared for any hill climb no matter what combination of std ma ratios/diffs you use --so small dia is what you want if not going for c/r gear kit
better to go that bit narrower and less dia --well thats my view

NickRDK
2nd March 2012, 15:39
cheap+ light don,t usually go together
how light or how cheap?
13" steel rims will not br heavy or expensive
yokohama used to do a 175 x50 x 13 in road legal pattern (6"rim) --which was smallest dia tyre you could run with any width + if not changing from std ma gearing you will be overgeared for any hill climb no matter what combination of std ma ratios/diffs you use --so small dia is what you want if not going for c/r gear kit
better to go that bit narrower and less dia --well thats my view

The car has a non standard final drive although i have not got the close ratio gear set yet that i want.
I will be using slick tyres so have you any advice on what size would be best? also radial or crossply?
I will be running a set of xr2 rims for this season supposing i get the car finished in time.

Thanks for your help

Dave_P
2nd March 2012, 17:55
Which hills are you doing Nick? I'd recommend crossply slicks as you need to run a fair bit of camber with radial slicks.

NickRDK
3rd March 2012, 09:37
Which hills are you doing Nick? I'd recommend crossply slicks as you need to run a fair bit of camber with radial slicks.

I think just Harewood this year. Got the facilitie to run a fair amount of camber if required. I am only running a small amount at present though.

I have heard crossply are a little more forgiving but the peak grip isn't as good, just a more progressive breakaway?

Looking forward to seeing you and you motor run up Harewood.

Cheers Dave.

Dave_P
3rd March 2012, 12:55
Most people run crossply's...

I've got a double learning curve this year, the tyres & the tracks, i've only used the slicks for 1 1/2 events back in 2010 so not up to speed with the extra grip available.

I've entered the MSA Leaders c'ship and hope to do the Barbon-Harewood weekender in May so maybe see you there. :)

axsaxoman
5th March 2012, 08:51
The car has a non standard final drive although i have not got the close ratio gear set yet that i want.
I will be using slick tyres so have you any advice on what size would be best? also radial or crossply?
I will be running a set of xr2 rims for this season supposing i get the car finished in time.

Thanks for your help
Hi its impossible to tell you what size tyre to run without knowing the exact gearing you are running .
IE ==what would max speed be at say 7000rpm in top with gear ratios + tyre size you have now