PDA

View Full Version : quaife atb advice please...

tillygti6
8th March 2012, 14:59
chaps, currently running an atb ma type in what appears to be diesel ratios, they guy who built the box originally built it for boost so the ratios arent really ideal for my na jp4.i want to swap it into one of my spare gti boxes but im unsure whats involved.il admit gearboxes are a bit scary too me!
its a case of just unbolt and rebolt to gti crownwheel or does that require any modification to allow said atb to fit??

all advice welcome really.

Ryan
8th March 2012, 15:06
If its a newer type diff from Quaife the crown wheel needs machining to match the diff.

tillygti6
8th March 2012, 15:09
hmmm. is there a newer and older style then?presumably so.

Ryan
8th March 2012, 15:10
Older is going back years ago (probably 5-6 at least), they were modified slightly so they mated to the crownwheel better.

axsaxoman
8th March 2012, 15:28
no absolutley correct ryan
even the first type needed crown wheel maching ,but just the thickness
early type did not have the half moons machined in crown wheel and indentations in the dif with the ball bearings to lock the crown wheel --so std crown wheel was just a shrink fit --
the upgraded type --been like that for 6 years anyway --need half moons cut in crown wheel to locate the ball bearing locks.
yes you can fit your vts crown wheel to your AtB dif --you just need the vts crown wheel maching to suit and then swop them --you will need heat and a 30ton press to do it

tillygti6
8th March 2012, 15:46
ok thanks for the headsup! theres likely no way of identifying which one i have without pulling it out?

to actually remove the whole lot from the box is it just a case of crack the housing off the back of the box and pull it out?
i reckon my best bet is too pull the two boxes apart and run the diff to quaife themselves asthere not far away.

axsaxoman
9th March 2012, 08:35
to actually remove the whole lot from the box is it just a case of crack the housing off the back of the box and pull it out?
i reckon my best bet is too pull the two boxes apart and run the diff to quaife themselves asthere not far away.

the dif is the first part you fit in ma casings when rebuilding and last thing you take out when stripping it
BE gearbox --the dif bolts into the back --but that crown wheel is bolt on anyway
get aprice from quaife to do it then if its more than £60+vat -
then ring me

tillygti6
9th March 2012, 09:16
hahaha, my bad, been swapping be boxes over on the missus 306. im a little ignorant to gearboxes.

any ideas where i can find a basic stripdown guide of the ma box? il give quaife a ring but i doubt they will be any cheaper than yourself!
whats the rough turn around time? as typically the cars my only roadlegal one currently...
tommy

axsaxoman
13th March 2012, 09:59
could be quicker ,but allow 7days