PDA

View Full Version : How loud are you with what setup?

MuZiZZle
10th April 2012, 14:14
Basically I'm fretting as I don't know what the db of my car is and FCS is a 95db limit.

What were your readings and setups?

I'm cammed, raceland manifold, decat, straight through to a piper 3" box,

I'm a bit worried!

Liam_
10th April 2012, 16:16
I have a Raceland mani and Piper exhaust (2" exit) with a pretty big middle box. Was measured at something like 83db static at Cadwell Park.

Friend of mine failed a 98db static test with a Raceland mani and Supersprint race exhaust (no middle box) on his cammed VTS. I'd probably look into getting a boxed centre pipe if I were you - I had a Piper 3" backbox on before and it was stupidly loud.

Dave_P
10th April 2012, 19:21
I've a new 2.25" single silencer exhaust and it hasn't been noise tested since fitting... its quite fruity so i reckon i'll keep the rev's low if they do a static noise test. ;)

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/16v_rallye/d70a1c18.jpg

I'm sure my TB's make more noise than the exhaust anyway... 95 db, no way!

MuZiZZle
10th April 2012, 19:30
Liam what's your middle box?

I don't mind changing it all as long as its track friendly

Any suggestions?

I rang croft and they said they'd test it on a track day for me

Am just expecting it to fail

Liam_
10th April 2012, 19:51
Liam what's your middle box?

I don't mind changing it all as long as its track friendly

Any suggestions?

The whole system is made by Piper mate. Looks exactly the same as this (http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/aly05189/100_1934.jpg), but the backbox has a 2" exit. Going from a 3" to a 2" exit backbox reduced the noise massively imo - even though I had a middle box with both.

If you give Piper a ring they should be able to sort you out. It's a bit like the Saxsport though - can't slot a CAT in for MOTs.

AlexB
11th April 2012, 06:15
8v
raceland induction with green
raceland mani
pugsport 2"

82db static at mallory park

Ryan
11th April 2012, 06:18
I passed static noise tests at brands with my engine.

Tbs and a single silencer system. Just domt rev it too hard of you are worried ;)

MuZiZZle
11th April 2012, 07:25
I passed static noise tests at brands with my engine.

Tbs and a single silencer system. Just domt rev it too hard of you are worried ;)

hahah, me sitting at 1200 RPM, "are you sure that's 75% mate", "oh yeah, honest!"

Ryan
11th April 2012, 07:31
Dont need to go that low, just know where the system is the most boomy in the rev range.

My set up passed tests at brands and other tracks with the previous owner too..

Dave_P
11th April 2012, 07:43
Don't they have a drive by noise meter at donington too?

MuZiZZle
11th April 2012, 07:53
see it sounds really deep on idle!

FML

I'll take it to croft then cry when I realise I need a new exhaust, I just want to make sure I can do my 180 mins at FCS!

jonathon5
14th April 2012, 09:07
see it sounds really deep on idle!

FML

I'll take it to croft then cry when I realise I need a new exhaust, I just want to make sure I can do my 180 mins at FCS!

Saxsport , raceland mani 94db static

Saxsport + center silencer , raceland mani 86db static

Both failed driveby at croft

Dave_P
14th April 2012, 19:29
Oops. :(

Liam_
14th April 2012, 19:56

I take it they were 88db days?

simmo
18th April 2012, 17:25
Due to the noise complaints etc i think donnington is clamping down hard on the noise testing and black flagging alot of people this year. Dont know if they'll relax for fcs (lets hope so).

They have a DB meter at the start finnish gantry and another few dotted about (apparantly.) Most of the black flags seem to occur when a group of cars pass at the same time and somebody gets the blame for it.

Check pistonheads and google for recent posts about the situation.

Dave_P
18th April 2012, 19:36
I look forward to being black flagged... :D

Olly
18th April 2012, 20:42
i asked the marshall exactly where the meter was, then drove purposely close to it on the straight at donnington, and i didnt get pulled up, and my boddies are loud. there is no scuttle either. so the exhaust seems to be the one to watch. i had a btb.

Dave_P
18th April 2012, 20:49
It wont be as loud as my TB's/exhaust i assure you. :oops: (9k rpm +)

xsi16v
19th April 2012, 09:43
Don't they have a drive by noise meter at donington too?

Yes, several apparently. When i asked where they were he wouldn't tell me. He just said if there is nothing you can do about your induction noise just short shift down the straight!!. Leads me to think there is only the one.

MuZiZZle
19th April 2012, 12:20
Saxsport , raceland mani 94db static

Saxsport + center silencer , raceland mani 86db static

looks like a supersprint silenced midpipe is on the cards!

scottie_436
22nd April 2012, 11:28
I have a miltek 4-2-1 and an omp group n system... Suprisingly it does 86db static at cadwell. However it has had a cat retro fitted.

Not sure how much louder its going to be when i remove the cat, now its not likely to ever see another mot

Harv
25th April 2012, 08:35
Cammed VTR - Raceland 4-2-1, full supersprint race system, induction kit etc

Not sure what it was but the guy always says 'Hmmmm go on then' @ Anglesey and that's 95db. The drive by one I don't get anywhere near close to the limit, Saxo's are fairly quiet cars on drive by without throttle bodies.