PDA

View Full Version : Removing Coms port

SGregg
3rd July 2012, 21:03
The comms port in the cabin fuse box. Do I need it? barring in mind I'm building a rally car and have already cut out the electric windows, doors, radio, speakers, ABS wiring plus other odds and ends.

It just seems another pointless thing I can cut out whilst I'm on a de-wiring mission.

I need to get the dash back in at some point to make sure it all stills works and then cut some more wiring out with a trial and error to eliminate more redundant wiring.

But, back to the question - Can I remove the Comms port? Will it affect anything other than the ability to fault code read?

Ta

Tom5190
3rd July 2012, 21:35
What management are you using? Also your cutting wires randomly? :|

SGregg
3rd July 2012, 21:44
Standard ECU atm.

I'm not cutting random wires, I've used logic. I.E all the wiring from the stereo was traced back to source and cut there, then repeated with everything else that will be 'redundant' it's not hard.

Tom5190
3rd July 2012, 21:56
Ah ok the way you said it it sounded like your cutting wires then seeing what dosent work afterwards!

Upto you then on the standard ECU really obviously your not going to be able to read any faults or delete any etc. Obiously there are various wires leading from the DLC to other ecu's and a generic earth iirc.

Edit: Possibly bridged with the rev counter at some point but off the top of my head i cant remember how it lays out exactly. Could check tomorrow at work.

SGregg
6th July 2012, 14:24
I think I'll leave it in for the time being, there's a bit more wiring to be tidied up, and then see how the thing runs, make sure everything is happy before removing it.

Thanks for your help.