PDA

View Full Version : Fine detailer substitute?

ets2k9
9th August 2006, 20:41
Is there a substitute for the Megs fine detailer the stuff that you use with a clay bar?

I'm going through this stuff like there's no tomorrow, its an expensive habbit :)

srcnix
9th August 2006, 20:57
Got my third bottle for my first main detailing session coming tomorrow. I am going through it pretty quickly too. It's great stuff but for your first main detailing session, getting rid of those stains and tar spots (heavy and light) is a time consuming job -- and requires a good amount of money.

Craig
9th August 2006, 20:58
i would have a gander on polished bliss matey im sure they will sell something cheaper but does the same trick

ets2k9
9th August 2006, 21:01
Got my third bottle for my first main detailing session coming tomorrow. I am going through it pretty quickly too. It's great stuff but for your first main detailing session, getting rid of those stains and tar spots (heavy and light) is a time consuming job -- and requires a good amount of money.

I'm not quite sure what your telling me there?

i would have a gander on polished bliss matey im sure they will sell something cheaper but does the same trick

I'll have a gander.

srcnix
9th August 2006, 21:01
It's worth the money ;-)

ets2k9
9th August 2006, 21:04
PB - have some Megs for £6.45 or some Poor Boy stuff for just under a tenner which is bigger than the Megs so might be worth getting that.

ets2k9
9th August 2006, 21:05
It's worth the money ;-)

O yeah I agree but if I can get something just as good but for cheaper than thats a bonus.

srcnix
9th August 2006, 21:23
O yeah I agree but if I can get something just as good but for cheaper than thats a bonus.
Of course, but when someone asks you "How'd you make it that clean" you can't reply, "I meged it" -- but if you're Welsh be careful as they might think you said "I mugged it".

;)

kcsaxo
10th August 2006, 08:54
for "lubing" the car up i tend to use a mxture of car shampoo and water. its just to help the claybar glide across the surface and most of my US counterparts do the same.

ets2k9
10th August 2006, 11:11
for "lubing" the car up i tend to use a mxture of car shampoo and water. its just to help the claybar glide across the surface and most of my US counterparts do the same.

I take it this doesn't cause you any problems? I cant imagine that the megs is that magical that nothing else could be used with the clay bar.

kcsaxo
10th August 2006, 11:27
not at all, the detailer spray that comes with the clay bar is used to lift off light contaminants just like shampoo is used to clean. what i do is add slightly more shampoo in my spray bottle so when the solution is mixed you can feel the "slickness" of the water between your fingers almost like an oily feel.

ets2k9
10th August 2006, 15:16
not at all, the detailer spray that comes with the clay bar is used to lift off light contaminants just like shampoo is used to clean. what i do is add slightly more shampoo in my spray bottle so when the solution is mixed you can feel the "slickness" of the water between your fingers almost like an oily feel.

Seems like a good idea.

Cheers :)

PolishedBliss
11th August 2006, 12:38
Shampoo is generally okay to use, but can cause some clay bars to begin to disintegrate (due to the emulsifiers in the shampoo). Good value alternative clay lubes are Poorboy's Spray n Wipe and Optimum No Rinse - the latter is what I use, as it's a super concentrate, and you need just 2oz at a time to make up 32oz of clay lube! One bottle lasts ages! :)

ets2k9
11th August 2006, 13:08
I'll invest in some of that then I have a few things to order from you but payday seems a long way off at the moment :)

srcnix
11th August 2006, 16:41
The power of an over draft!

kcsaxo
11th August 2006, 23:54
mmm, may have to invest in some too... always willing to try new things :)