PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts

Jimmy-Boy
8th September 2012, 19:03
which are the best ones to get ? tracking my Lsded 106, 143bhp @ the wheels with road legal slicks... went threw a brand new oem shaft in 35miles replaced and did another in around the same time :/ (on track of course) any reccomendations??

Jimmy-Boy
9th September 2012, 07:38
Spoox driveshafts (not the f1 grade steel)

Looking at these, if any one has or rates them please let me know! Oe has just 3 bearings and these 6 plus the boots look better at £200 should be fine ?

benkelsall
9th September 2012, 18:01
What about the Dave Mac shafts? ie the TRS ones.
Not sure what price they are. I'm sure someone on RR can get them for a good price tho.

Jimmy-Boy
9th September 2012, 19:55
who do i pm? i have contacted dave mac prop shafts, will try ringing tommorow for a fast response! Thanks.

AndySAXO
18th September 2012, 12:32
if your killing drive shaft that fast maybe there other problems? standard shaft with that power will be ok, if it lowered alot could be damaging the shafts, ideal you want to shaft to be dead straight gearbox to hub. i used standard drive shafts for about 2 years, before changing to dave mac interparts shafts, but my old standard ones are perfectly ok still, but my shafts are flat so not adding any extra stress to the shafts.

where did the shaft break? same place?

Tyanu888
15th November 2012, 15:54
I too snapped the passenger side shaft twice (short shaft). Who would you recommend for a pair of hardened shafts? (unbreakable)?

AlexB
15th November 2012, 16:26
if your trashing shafts then really theres something not right geometry wise tbh

ive seen several cars running over 170 hp on standard shafts my old 106 ran on stock shafts breifly

as for suppliers dave mac shafts are good but be aware of a few issues mainly that ive found is the stock diff can catch the end of the drivers (longer) shaft
a few mms cleard and your fine or if you run an lsd your fine

as said though i ran mine quite hard for probably 1k miles and then put the trs/dave macs in as i had them sat there

and when i say hard im talking 4k launches and generally being a chav

Tyanu888
16th November 2012, 08:51
Cheers AlexB for the info.
I snapped shaft twice and i only use car for hill climb (that's 8 hill climbs a year that consist of 4 runs per hill climb and an average of 2km per run). The reason i snapped the shaft is due to the tremendous grip of the slick tyres, after a couple of burn outs upon launch the shaft goes! So like other pug/saxo drivers i was told that hardened shafts would be unbreakable no matter how many burn outs you do! Those slicks get very sticky!
I'll email them!
If you know of any others or may be anyone with a second hand pair kindly let me know!
Cheers again!

Jimmy-Boy
18th November 2012, 21:56
It was due to the airfeild track gravel abrasive style and my driving style of applying power to early exiting the corner and entry speeds to high.

AlexB
24th November 2012, 11:38
a lot of my launches were on r888 semis so fair grip on them

jimmy i dont see how exiting a corner hard will put huge stress on unless your understeering so huge lock spinning that would "chatter" the front wheels and load up but still snapping a shaft is extreme...

Jimmy-Boy
24th November 2012, 17:31
It wasn't snaping the shaft more ripping out the insides of the cv boot and was becuase of excatly that :(

AlexB
24th November 2012, 18:44
stop driving like a knob then is my advice

let the car turn in and be progressive with your power application

blackie_2k5
24th November 2012, 19:27
stop driving like a knob then is my advice

let the car turn in and be progressive with your power application

didnt you snap a driveshaft at fcs trying to spin a 1.1

AlexB
24th November 2012, 20:03
many years ago and i admit driving like a knob i was in a proper rage at that point in time not a poud moment
but i know whats needed to snap one and he said "because of exactly that" when i said hes understeering chattering the front so the logic is stop booting it so early and you wont get the chatter and ruin shafts

AlexB
24th November 2012, 20:08
and when i say hard im talking 4k launches and generally being a chav

ill also highlight this point
im not perfect lol

but if you dont want to destroy shafts then dont load them excessively

the dave mac ones will in theory take twice the abuse cv wise as theu are 6 bearing not 3

but if your loading them upsliding the front on sticky rubber snatching and gripping at high rpm next in line to fail if you up the shafts is the box or clutch

simpler option is to become more mechanically sypathetic amd stop the first issue before it becomes a bigger one

Ryan
24th November 2012, 21:34
I've never understood how people can kill components of cars so easily.

Diffs/shafts etc... Learning to drive will save you money in repair bills.

AlexB
24th November 2012, 23:12
ive learned what kills them and dont do it anymore
saxos had blenty of abuse only thing ive broken is the shell got a bit bemt on a bridge i misjudged lol :oops:

generally though drivetrain breakages are from bring lead footed

Jimmy-Boy
25th November 2012, 13:39
LMFAO, since knowing that was the cause of the problem i have been fine... you really think i purposely wanted to kill shafts :/ I can drive, i'm no hamilton but i never fair to bad gonig up against cars on track with much more power or better specs.

AlexB
25th November 2012, 16:17
thats fair enough then

MaRiO89
5th December 2012, 00:09
Go for the Dave Mac shafts. We used them on our 106 Cup Car (150bhp) on soft slicks with a plated LSD and never had a problem. They have 6 bearings instead of the normal 3 iirc and are pretty much un-breakable.

£200 for a set, cant go wrong.

AlexB
7th December 2012, 18:01
theyve gone up in price now i think mate

sexy_gt
7th December 2012, 18:30
Ive got a set i bought from pug1off. Never used tapered abs pair £200 posted.

Stew 07906 598849

Alex
19th December 2012, 17:45
what shafts are recommended if I'm aiming for 220-240 at the wheels?

Dave_P
19th December 2012, 17:52
BE box & Dave Mac shafts for that power! ^^^

I run a MA box with Dave Mac shafts doing hillclimbs, so lots of tyre warming and standing starts on super soft slicks and my shafts haven't given me any bother.

axsaxoman
20th December 2012, 12:05
which are the best ones to get ? tracking my Lsded 106, 143bhp @ the wheels with road legal slicks... went threw a brand new oem shaft in 35miles replaced and did another in around the same time :/ (on track of course) any reccomendations??

i have never seen a GENUINE citroen or PUg shaft break with that sort of bhp .
I do mean genuine --which cost around £150 each
usual cause for breaking ashafts consisitantly is a combination of
suspension too low and or bad engine mtgs
If it threw it out , eg came out of box then its engine mtgs and wrong shaft length for height you are running
I have put plenty of s/c cars out running 200+'whels and drive shafts are not destroying themselves regularly .
use a rebuilt shaft from an aftermarket part place and yes they are all crap