PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean an open cone filter?

Stissy
22nd November 2012, 11:34
Hello,

can anyone recommend me the best way to clean an open cone air filter?

I looked online and found a guide that suggested using a hair drying to blow from inside and blow out all the muck and dust, then spray the filter with WD40, leave it to soak overnight then wipe it clean and re-fit.

I was wondering what the people of saxp recommend doing? is that the best way? if not, what is?

Cheers :)

saxova
22nd November 2012, 11:45
I put mine in the sink with soapy water and used a paint brush to get into all fibers. Cant see a hair dryer getting much out - air compressor yeah :P

Was amazed at how black/dirty the water went.. Then I dried on a radiator and sprayed a lil wd-40 on.

:y:

Stissy
22nd November 2012, 11:56
I put mine in the sink with soapy water and used a paint brush to get into all fibers. Cant see a hair dryer getting much out - air compressor yeah :P

Was amazed at how black/dirty the water went.. Then I dried on a radiator and sprayed a lil wd-40 on.

:y:

Cheers mate. Its been on the car nearly two years now, it used to be bright red but now it's literally black - i thought about putting it in water but the same topic i read said that if you don't dry it properly, the steel around the filter itself will corrode, i guess its just the same as the filter being in the rain though.

Bedford126
22nd November 2012, 12:02
Dish washer..... It even says in the new k&n instructions that all k&n filters are dish washer safe.

Stissy
22nd November 2012, 12:18
Dish washer..... It even says in the new k&n instructions that all k&n filters are dish washer safe.

really? ha banging.

Ross
22nd November 2012, 12:52
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

Stissy
22nd November 2012, 14:46
you helped me, so i let you know, with a thanks.

Ross
22nd November 2012, 14:51
you didn't help me, but I thanked you anyway. Just because I can :hug:

KamRacing
22nd November 2012, 15:31
Hello,

can anyone recommend me the best way to clean an open cone air filter?

I looked online and found a guide that suggested using a hair drying to blow from inside and blow out all the muck and dust, then spray the filter with WD40, leave it to soak overnight then wipe it clean and re-fit.

I was wondering what the people of saxp recommend doing? is that the best way? if not, what is?

Cheers :)

If you do this you might as well not fit it as it won't be filtering any air.

You need to use a detergent to clean all the dirt and oil off. Wash the filter from the inside out using a hose or tap. This stops debris ingraining in the material.
You then need to dry it, then the important bit - re-oil it.

The large holes in the filter only trap dirt by suspending oil in the path of the air. With no oil there's no filtering. There may be 1001 different uses for WD40 but this is not one of them..

Kev

jasonmayall
22nd November 2012, 15:34
The K&N cleaning kits are only about £10. You get the cleaner and the oil - will last years so you might as well do it properly.

m4tt274
22nd November 2012, 16:50
i have a K&N panel i clean regularly, but in my other cars i have always changed the air filter with the oil every 5K or so.
the amount of people who fit universal cones and leave them 20+000 miles i find incredible.

jasonmayall
22nd November 2012, 16:54
i have a K&N panel i clean regularly, but in my other cars i have always changed the air filter with the oil every 5K or so.
the amount of people who fit universal cones and leave them 20+000 miles i find incredible.

Its because you get a 'lifetime warranty' and no body bothers to actually read into them and just slap them on and forget.

My car came with a K&N cone and it was the first thing to go (not a fan) and i cleaned it before selling it. You only had to go close to touching it and it would get black shit everywhere.

doncarlyon
22nd November 2012, 17:47
http://www.carpartsexpress.co.uk/Performance-Parts/K&N-Filters/K&N-Cleaning-Kits/K&N-Recharger-Cleaning-Kit-Aerosol/p-708-721-723-427/

Stissy
23rd November 2012, 10:18
yeah. its service time you see. so i thought i'd give the air filter a good clean too. I've bought a cleaning kit. cheers for all your help :)