PDA

View Full Version : Uprated Anti roll bar

saxo_appeal
17th August 2006, 12:33
Does anyone know where i can get an upratde anti roll bar for a vtr 2001 ??

need it as iv found out what is making the clump0ing noise from lowering.

cheers

l1ukeRS
17th August 2006, 13:42
think gmc sell em mate... not 100% though http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/
i think

Pickles
17th August 2006, 15:32
pougeot sport boutique offer 25mm bars

ets2k9
17th August 2006, 15:54
What the benefit of these?

I have a suspect knocking noise thats more than likely the ARB.

Pickles
17th August 2006, 17:05
25mm arb gives you a stiffer rear setup

suspect knocking from back will more than likly be the rear beam bushes:thumbup:

ets2k9
17th August 2006, 17:23
Its the front thats knocking.

saxo_appeal
17th August 2006, 17:50
Thats what the guy at the garage told me, he had a puegout and his front (after lowering) clumped every time he went over drains etc.
He said thats the thing you need is an Uprated anti-roll bar..... problem is trying to find one.
still looking ..........................

Sean
17th August 2006, 17:54
check the bolts under the carpet in the footwell, there's an FAQ (http://www.saxperience.com/faq/show-article.php?artid=86) on here :)

ets2k9
17th August 2006, 17:55
Ripped from http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk:

"ANTI-ROLL BARS.

As its name suggests an anti-roll bar prevents the car heeling over when under hard cornering. The way it works is to limit the amount the car rolls, by transferring the weight from the outside wheel in a corner, back to the inside wheel, to try to keep the pressure on each tyre as near equal as possible, so we have more balanced car and more stable grip on the road.

The anti-roll bars fitted to Citroen and Peugeot vehicles are like the torsion bars, too weak as standard and definitely need replacement. In fact on some models the lack of a good anti-roll bar system is more important than fitting the stronger torsion bars as a first step to improve the handling, as particularly on AX's they heel over very seriously. The anti-roll bar on all models is in effect another torsion bar linking the centre of the radius arms at their pivot points. As they are mounted in this position they put little or no tension into controlling the movement of wheels over bumps. If you go over a big bump with both wheels at the same time, both torsion bars react but as the wheels have gone up and down together but the anti-roll bar is not actuated, it works to prevent a constant load depressing one side of the suspension.

We can supply a range of up-rated anti-roll bars, for instance, the standard AX GT has an anti-roll bar about as thick as a garden cane, which while better than none at all, is pretty useless. We can supply replacements of varying sizes for Citroen AX/Saxo and Peugeot 106/306/205 from 19mm to 25mm. Note, some low specification models in the AX, Saxo and 106 range do not have any rear anti roll bars fitted and have no fixing s to do so, only fix is to swap the whole rear sub frame/axle assembly from a higher spec model."

Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Citroen AX, Citroen Saxo, Peugeot 106. 18 mm, 20 mm - £60

Link arms for above - £60

Competition units, 21 mm £116 25 mm £215

ets2k9
17th August 2006, 17:56
check the bolts under the carpet in the footwell, there an FAQ on here

What do those bolts hold?

mattwesty
17th August 2006, 17:56
i'm getting a 25mm ARB from pugsport. the clinking is sometime the locating bolt that broken in the trailing arm.

ets2k9
17th August 2006, 17:57
i'm getting a 25mm ARB from pugsport. the clinking is sometime the locating bolt that broken in the trailing arm.

Front or rear?

How much?

Cheers

Steve

Sean
17th August 2006, 17:58
What do those bolts hold?
the wishbone. read the FAQ it's a common cause of the knocking ;)

rushy_23
17th August 2006, 18:02
May sound a little silly but what are the main benifited of uprating torsion bars and anti roll bars?
Ive heard that the 106 GTI comes standard with a pretty decent ARB when compaired to the saxo VTR/VTS. Its the torsio bar on them thats the weak point.

Also what differences do the different thinknesses offer? Does thicker mean more durable and realiable?

Sean
17th August 2006, 18:10
thicker anti roll bar will make the car lean less, thicker torsion bars is like fitting springs with a greater spring rate ie the ride is harder again with less lean. for some reason i think the 106 gti came with a thicker arb than the saxo so fitting one of these would make a little difference.
depends which size of torsion bars you fit, 21mm is the usual upgrade, good for road use, 22mm is a bit harsher maybe a bit too harsh for everyday road use (personal taste i suppose), 23mm is trackday.

williamsvts
17th August 2006, 21:06
did you get new drop links fitted when your car was lowered?

if not that will probably be the clunking.

saxo_appeal
17th August 2006, 22:42
the garage guy was very adament that this was the cause of the "clunking" on the front left wheel.
He said he spent loads trying to fix the problem then one day he was reading something about it and voila!! he fixed it.

So its def an uprated anti roll bar you need, but at gmc its just the normal bars isnt it??

saxo_appeal
17th August 2006, 22:43
Ripped from http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk:

"ANTI-ROLL BARS.

As its name suggests an anti-roll bar prevents the car heeling over when under hard cornering. The way it works is to limit the amount the car rolls, by transferring the weight from the outside wheel in a corner, back to the inside wheel, to try to keep the pressure on each tyre as near equal as possible, so we have more balanced car and more stable grip on the road.

Its the front not the rear.

williamsvts
17th August 2006, 22:44
the standard bar would be ok, a thicker bar is better.
has he tightened the end plates up correctly?
imo its not coz you have standard parts it will be dodgy fitting.
but anyway, cheapest place to get 25mm arb is from www.boutiquepeugeotsport.com

£120ish iirc

a.k.a...... ASS OOT BAR

williamsvts
17th August 2006, 22:45
btw, these are rear bars not front. i dont know where will sell uprated front arb. + with standard rear and uprated front you will suffer bad understeer.

saxo_appeal
18th August 2006, 12:41
hhhmmm the garage guy def said front

l1ukeRS
18th August 2006, 12:53
make sure the shocks are tightened up first in the front left strut this happened to me and ive heard of it happening to others, jack the car up shake fuck out the wheel, listen to where the noise cums from, or keep jumping on the brakes if u hear clunk clunk clunk clunk then its either that the droplinks or the bottom bush's id check the loose shock 1st tho if i were you

williamsvts
18th August 2006, 19:06
i would say droplinks as he would have took them off to lower your car and this can fook them.