PDA

View Full Version : what race serise

manic
20th March 2013, 14:08
i am currently racing in 750 stock hatch.
was wondering what other seriess people race in and there thoughts on them. and why they chose that series over others

manic

106maxi
20th March 2013, 20:22
BARC NW Sports & Saloons- it's local
CSCC Tin Tops- the car is more competitive
French Series- just started this year, hoping to do rounds later in the season.

Dave_P
20th March 2013, 21:21
Try some hillclimbs. :D

AlexB
20th March 2013, 21:23
traffic light drag world championship
usually held outside the local clubs on a friday night

chose it as it never fails to make the girlies moist

106maxi
20th March 2013, 21:41
Try some hillclimbs. :D

I get tired going up the stairs, never mind hills!

Alanapone
2nd April 2013, 08:05
Whats the basics for the car needed for Hillclimbing Dave? Wondering if I might have a try of a few next year. This car has to have a go at some form of racing... Don't know if I will be any good though.

Any advice on any online places to get details for building the car?

AlexB
2nd April 2013, 08:13
Blue book alan

Hillclimb is less strict on fia dates on seats ect but your car will go into the same class as daves rallye as its stripped and caged iirc

I had a bit of a look at building something a while back but what i had would of fallen into and class full of kit cars ect so i left the idea lol

Alanapone
2nd April 2013, 08:26
Will see if I can "find" a copy to thumb through then mate.

Does the cage have to be weld in or will my bolt in be okay?
Do I need in date harness and seat too?
They are the main questions. I'm not fussed about being "competitive" so engine can stay as it is, just thought it might be fun and easier to have a bash at than a lot of the race series where I'd need a competitive car just to keep up with everyone else!

KamRacing
2nd April 2013, 09:26
with hillclimbing the blue book gives an idea on rules but each club modifies some rules/classes so it seems best to contact your local club and get the rules directly from them before building the car.

Dave_P
2nd April 2013, 18:05
Will see if I can "find" a copy to thumb through then mate.

Does the cage have to be weld in or will my bolt in be okay?
Do I need in date harness and seat too?
They are the main questions. I'm not fussed about being "competitive" so engine can stay as it is, just thought it might be fun and easier to have a bash at than a lot of the race series where I'd need a competitive car just to keep up with everyone else!

Weld or bolt in is fine, seats don't need to be "in date" for speed events.

You'll need a cut off switch,"ignition off" sticker, cover your battery terminals and make a timing strut.

Approved suit/lid/gloves are required, MSA non race nat B licence and join an approved car club.

If your car is road legal and raced in a road legal condition you won't need a MSA loogbook for your car.

Loton Park/Shelsley Walsh/Barbon Manor & Harewood hills are 60-100 miles away from you.

Harewood is a long hill so better VFM and your less likely to hit something there.

Blue book is available online.

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=1158

Specific regs for speed events.
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/13/321_332_Specific_Regulations_for_Sprints,_Hill_Cli mbs_and_Drag_Racing_(S).pdf

wadoryu
2nd April 2013, 18:29
I'm getting confused by all these blue book, and car club regs. My local club wants in date seats and belts, even for hillclimb.

Dave_P
2nd April 2013, 18:40
Tell em to poke it!

Alanapone
2nd April 2013, 18:47
Just a few quick ones dave if you don't mind.

My cousin gave me a killswitch but it has a black key in it. Is that any good or does it NEED to be fia type?

Where and what for a timing strut?

Where would be my nearest or best Club? 750's?

wadoryu
2nd April 2013, 19:01

My cousin gave me a killswitch but it has a black key in it. Is that any good or does it NEED to be fia type?

I presume the timing strut is the metal right angled rod that sticks out of the front bumper, from looking at local cars mount it wherever you want, back of the bumper slam panel.

Best advice I got from going to the last event was just find a local scruiteener and just ask.

greyjasper51
2nd April 2013, 19:05
i am currently racing in 750 stock hatch.
was wondering what other seriess people race in and there thoughts on them. and why they chose that series over others

manic

Im in a similar position with them bringing the clios into it now...

Dave_P
2nd April 2013, 20:44

FIA type wired as instructions & external pull cable.
http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/rally/battery-cut-off-switches/jjc-fia-master-switch-and-6ft-pull-cable-kit-fia-battery-master-cut-out-switch-4-terminal-base-6ft-pull-cable

A timing strut can be made from thin aluminium and painted black, drill a hole in your reg plate/bumper to mount it, i use a bolt & wing nut to secure my one.

As for a club, this is your best option.

http://speedchampionship.org.uk/

When i looked at joining an English club for doing the MSA Leaders hillclimb c'ship in 2012 i found they were all rather pricey, £30 for club membership & c'ship entry is a bargain and this one allows you a wide choice of both hillclimb's & sprints.
I know you don't plan on doing a c'ship but its easier to get an entry for an event if your registered in a c'ship.

106maxi
2nd April 2013, 20:55
ANWCC for you Alan.

Alanapone
3rd April 2013, 10:07
Thanks guys. Help greatly appreciated.

Dave, your a star. Mind if I pm you if I have any further questions? I'll try not to be too nooby. ;)

Yeah, I don't think I could afford to be competitive or do a full c'ship but I'd like to give it a try. Next year is when I'll have everything sorted and be able to put some time and effort in so I have plenty of time to build the car up.

I'll check out the links later as I'm on my phone at the minute.

Dave_P
3rd April 2013, 11:18
Fire away with the PM's.