PDA

View Full Version : tax rebate woes

hazlo
3rd April 2014, 20:45
So I am owed about 550 quid in tax back from the last tax year (april 13-14) and I called the hmrc and they're saying their records show that I havent paid any tax for that employer even though I have the pay slips to prove that I did. So I sent a copy of week 52 pay slip from last april to the hmrc and asked them to investigate. To which they replied along the lines of you didnt pay tax according to our records so contact your old employer. So I contacted him and essentialy he doesnt want to know. Just says I cant do anything about your personal tax.

Basically I dunno where the fault is but im guessing its in his last tax return. So what can I do now? Should I just contact hmrc again and ask them to investigate again?!

Thanks in advance!

aldred309uk
3rd April 2014, 20:59
I would, I had a tax issue last year, got a rebate of 450 then a few months later I owed them 480.

My employer sent in their tax return late, so the automatic rebate happened because of change off employer then when they finally sent their tax return in I owed the tax man again because of the increased earnings.

Give them a call, could be dodgy!

hazlo
3rd April 2014, 21:59
I think that'll be best. Thing is he has sent his tax return in because they know how much I earnt there, but just the tax is showing up as nil!

aldred309uk
4th April 2014, 05:14
Maybe he didn't pay it, maybe he just showed it on your pay slip but kept the money himself?

hazlo
4th April 2014, 08:22
yeah thats what im worried about mate. what can you do if that happens though?

aldred309uk
4th April 2014, 08:26
Tell the tax man, are you on paye?
If he's been dodgy it's in their interest to get on his back.

MuZiZZle
4th April 2014, 08:28
Confront your boss?

But play it clever

aldred309uk
4th April 2014, 08:36
Confront your boss?

But play it clever

It's his old boss

MuZiZZle
4th April 2014, 08:48
It's his old boss

Does he still exist?

Ah, I just read it properly, open a can of HMRC whoop ass on him!

hazlo
4th April 2014, 21:16
I think im going to have to... but saying that I already sent a letter to them asking them to investigate the discrepancy and they basically didnt want to know. I guess im going to have to hound them till they investigate!

wullvfr
4th April 2014, 23:18
There's nothing worse,I hope you get it sorted soon mate coz that feeling of not knowing is a not very good one.

Typical HMRC not wanting to know.......

hazlo
5th April 2014, 06:48
Cheers mate. Yeah I know and its not the sort of money I can afford to lose!