PDA

View Full Version : engine conversion insurnace

Jonny_H
6th September 2006, 19:23
i'm 18 with 1 yr ncb and basically i keep spending money on my 1.1 n ppl keep tellin me stop doing as i will get bored soon and want something faster (i am now bored and do want something faster) but insurance is too high at the mo on a 1.1

how much would it increase ur insurance premium? from 1.1 to VTS

obviosuly depend on other things. but would it be dearer if u had an actual VTS or cheaper for an actual VTS.

SNewham
6th September 2006, 19:25
well if you're looking for total costs.

you have the cost of the conversion and the insurance increase if you're going for a transplant.

and the cost of the vts and the insurance increase if you're going to buy a vts.

depending on the year of the vts i would say go for a conversion even if it's a bit more expensive. everyone loves a sleeper :)

Jonny_H
6th September 2006, 19:32
ye i gettin a vtr/s kit fitted hopefully with next 2 weeks anyway so wont have 1.1 shell. lol so ppl will think i have got a vtr/s anyway. i not putting any badges on it tho lol coz i'm not tryin to claim i have got vtr/s jus want it to look better so got that kit. jus keep the saxo badges on it. lol

but ye i wanna know if they increase will b as high as having a VTS because at the mo i cant get insured on a VTS

frenchautoparts
6th September 2006, 20:08
It will be higher than the standard VTS in most cases, and with certain companies they will point blank refuse to let you do it especially considering your age.

You have no excuse to change your engine other than wanting more power so you can see why the insurers dont like it.

Just have to be patient and wait for a VTS when you get in your 20s thats what most people (including myself) had to do.

Jonny_H
6th September 2006, 20:13
near enough all my mates r 20-25 ish. n it's shite coz i got the slowest car...
1's got a 2.0l 20v turbo fiat coupe (with engine mods).... 1's got a 1.5 civic.... golf gti.....2.0l celica. so cant keep up with them lol. few of them have got worse cars tho so it aint all bad. jus wanted sumthing better but without paying daft insurance prices. will prob wait til i 19 n see whats happens

Ry_B
6th September 2006, 20:32
Insuring a car with an engine conversion costs more than insuring the actual car it's come from 99% of the time, eg it would be cheaper to insure a VTS

SNewham
6th September 2006, 20:52
ye i gettin a vtr/s kit fitted hopefully with next 2 weeks anyway so wont have 1.1 shell. lol so ppl will think i have got a vtr/s anyway. i not putting any badges on it tho lol coz i'm not tryin to claim i have got vtr/s jus want it to look better so got that kit. jus keep the saxo badges on it. lol

but ye i wanna know if they increase will b as high as having a VTS because at the mo i cant get insured on a VTS

well if you are spending money on a VT* kit for it then it's a bit of a waste to just sell it. go for a onversion mate :thumbup:

Jonny_H
6th September 2006, 21:37
vt kit wont actually b costing that much. kit for 200. n then 100 for spraying... very cheap as my mechanic i use can get it cheap at a certain bodyshop if i organise it thru him. and he;s goin to fit it... so for 300 cant complain

180sax
23rd September 2006, 13:44
hi mate my saxo started out as a 1.1 and i put all the bodykit on it and when i turned 20 i got cituning put vts engine in and it cost me 4995 in total to have done. that was with a fast road cam kit straight through exhaust with de-cat pipe and a green cotton air filter. cituning tested it againsed another vts that was chipped and it couldnt keep up with mine they said mine had the edge because mines got no abs or power steering meaning mine was lighter so its well worth it i was paying 450 fullycomp for the 1.1 and when i changed it to a vts and declared all mods it went up to 650 fullycomp and that was with direct line i did say to them though that i was only having a new engine put in because the cam belt had gone on the old one and knackered it.

bullit
23rd September 2006, 17:46
i think cituning raped you

180sax
23rd September 2006, 19:42
that price included engine,gearbox,cams,loom,driveshafts exhauhts,airfilter,drilled&groved brakes,oil pressure&batterygauges i didnt think that was to bad what sort of price would you excpect to pay

Mattvtr
23rd September 2006, 22:47
if your fitting the vt kit and having a vts engine would it not be cheaper to change the car to a vts on your v5 so then it is an "actual" vts and then it wont b as much of a rape on insurance...

Saxoladlesta
24th September 2006, 02:18
Well you can get a VTS engine with low milage for around £500 then to fit it maximum to pay really is £1000-2000.I got quoted £3000 and thought that was being raped lol,even getting your sax turbo'd is only £3380 :fcuk:

davew
24th September 2006, 13:55
It will be higher than the standard VTS in most cases, and with certain companies they will point blank refuse to let you do it especially considering your age.

You have no excuse to change your engine other than wanting more power so you can see why the insurers dont like it.

Just have to be patient and wait for a VTS when you get in your 20s thats what most people (including myself) had to do.

wouldnt worry about it mate. you will be able to insure it at 18 as thats what i do. Admittedly mine isnt a conversion but its still not that expensive to insure for us.

if you thinking about doing the conversion talk to mark bidwell (Greensaxo). hes just had his converted from a 1.1 to a vts.

Carworx did his conversion and he only paid around 1400. although he kept some of the standard parts from the 1.1 and adapted them to accept the vts lump.

willsy
24th September 2006, 13:58
ull appreciate the car and the work much much more if you do it yourself. Anyone can just go out and buy a VTS but theres the fun and achievement in that???

All depends if you just have a car because its a toy, or do you want it as a toy but also as a bit of a hobby to work on in your spare time. You'll learn alot of useful things if you do work yourself aswel :)

bullit
24th September 2006, 15:42
180 sax you should have paid round half, that is ridiculous