PDA

View Full Version : 15x8" rims ...

sexy_gt
30th May 2014, 14:07
Few regulars may know i run time attack. One area where my car differs from all other competetors is in tyre width.

i have found some 15x8.25 rims et0...

never seen these in the flesh.

will 8" rims ruin my handling? I would use 225/45/15 tyre r888.

Most time attack cars just fit the biggest rims they can.

stew

axsaxoman
14th April 2015, 07:22
Few regulars may know i run time attack. One area where my car differs from all other competetors is in tyre width.

i have found some 15x8.25 rims et0...

never seen these in the flesh.

will 8" rims ruin my handling? I would use 225/45/15 tyre r888.

Most time attack cars just fit the biggest rims they can.

stew

yes -- unless all the extra width is inboard-all FWD cars must have all rim inboard of hub -nut

eg draw a linw down through the strut and extand onto road --ideally that line should be at outside of rim --or close
thats why you go wide track and move strut outwards to give more space for rim to come inwards--well one of the reasons
If i was continuing my development of my rcar ihad planned on 9 " rims to get power onto ground .

KamRacing
14th April 2015, 07:55
surely to get 9" wheels with that you would need completely custom hubs or you would foul the strut? You could then get a greater angle on the strut with a new hub mounting point and ball joint position so you dont dial in silly camber?

welshpug
14th April 2015, 13:42
you just need a satchell front end setup, colin uses 9"s at about et0, dean uses 8.25" iirc.

axsaxoman
17th April 2015, 06:59
surely to get 9" wheels with that you would need completely custom hubs or you would foul the strut? You could then get a greater angle on the strut with a new hub mounting point and ball joint position so you dont dial in silly camber?
http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/wide-track-kit/saxo/106-struts-moded/prod_620.html
these struts have been lengthened to accomodate larger rims +camber angle with suitable new bottom arms also to keep geometery correct
uses std top strut pick up point

sexy_gt
30th April 2015, 17:28
appreciate the replies chaps :)