PDA

View Full Version : Startin the gym...

bobbyf
28th September 2006, 22:04
Im goin to join a gym 2moro, basically because im 21, 5,11" weigh 11 stone, look like a big streak of piss, an im fed up of it! Iv started using whey protien powder, does ne body have any advice about how to build myself up (slowly but surely mind lol!) cheers...

bullit
28th September 2006, 22:21
my advice mate is to buy some good books and do some research. its alright buying protein but if you dont know what your doing it will be useless. your best on finding your own advice as everyone on here will tell you something different which will prob just confuse you. unless its one of the personal trainers on here

bobbyf
28th September 2006, 22:26
im not lookin to turn into the hulk or anything, just wanna "beef up" a bit, click on ma profile an ul see how skinny I am! lol

S34MER
28th September 2006, 22:27
You shouldn't use any un-natural supplements! Even though body-builders will promote weight gainers and crappy products like that... when it comes down to competition time they stop all supplement intake 4 weeks before competition! Supplements just don't work as good as a proper diet of whole foods! (Creatine and L-Glutamine being the only exceptions )
You don't need some "scientifically calculated" diet based on calorie intake that's impossible to follow (not to mention doesn't work). Anyone who tells you that if you eat the perfect amount of "calories" each day and you'll gain weight doesn't know what they're talking about.
Just because you shove a bunch of food down your throat doesn't mean your body will digest it and turn it into muscle mass! In fact, eating a bunch of un-healthy high calorie foods like "weight gainer" or "meal replacement powders" will stunt your digestion, making it impossible to get ripped!
You shouldn't workout for more than 180 minutes a week if you know the right way to weight lift! For hard gainers (skinny guys) there is a specific amount of time you can lift for before your body's testosterone levels will drop!

bobbyf
28th September 2006, 22:32
im not using it as a part of a diet, im using it as well as my normal diet, is this a bad idea?

jezpick
28th September 2006, 23:07
don't really know mate, but S34MER sounds like he knows what he's on about!!

Leo
29th September 2006, 10:44
You shouldn't use any un-natural supplements! Even though body-builders will promote weight gainers and crappy products like that... when it comes down to competition time they stop all supplement intake 4 weeks before competition! Supplements just don't work as good as a proper diet of whole foods! (Creatine and L-Glutamine being the only exceptions )

The reason they stop taking anything before the comp is mainly water weight, etc. They wan't to look as tight and ripped as possible, this guy wants the OPPOSITE to that! he wants to look bigger and bulkyer. So that doesn't really apply to him whatsoever.

Creatine and L-Glutamine, OK... also WHEY Protien is fine too, if used properly!!!

As sammeer said, forget the weight gainers and meal replacments. To add muscle/weight its as complex as you make it. For example, ever see "Supersize me" - the guy ate macdonalds every day for x ammount of weeks, and what happened ? he got Fat. If you eat proper food (not that shit) you can put on weight (but the right type of weight that can be turned into muscle) - it wont be as easy as eating macdonalds or as fast but its what u got to do.

My advice is, dont let it get too complicated as u dont want to be a pro bodybuilder or anything. Simply eat well and eat more than normal, eat good meals with veg and chicken breasts etc. Eggs in morning, oats.. etc. Drink as much water through out the day as you can. As for gym Bullit here could maybe put u up a good workout out thats simple and based on adding muscle (if u ask him nicely! :oops: )

Good luck

Nick_T
29th September 2006, 12:59
my brother drinks raw egg whites urgh

but i go to the gym with him and he is building much quicker than me, its not fair
might have to try egg whites, he eats loads of pasta and potatoes too

Leo
29th September 2006, 13:04
my brother drinks raw egg whites urgh

but i go to the gym with him and he is building much quicker than me, its not fair
might have to try egg whites, he eats loads of pasta and potatoes too

Your body cannot digest the protien properly from raw eggs so its a waste of time really + risk of samonela. Its sort of a myth I belive. Try eating what he does, sounds like he knows what he should be eating to get big. do u train the same routine? what sort of food do u eat?

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 07:33
Im goin to join a gym 2moro, basically because im 21, 5,11" weigh 11 stone, look like a big streak of piss, an im fed up of it! Iv started using whey protien powder, does ne body have any advice about how to build myself up (slowly but surely mind lol!) cheers...

Y r you taking protein! you need a palmfull portion per day! Yes even if your working out!!! What you require is an increase in natural amino acids!

i dont have the time to explain but read the top 2 posts & that should help, just get down the gym & do a basic all over body weight programme for 6 weeks then review it & go from there... simple, dont complicate the issue.... you dont need additives trust me i kinda know my stuff.... apparently! :oops:

Leo
30th September 2006, 09:33
^ everone i know has a protien shake after gym m8, and these geezers are massive lol. Protien feeds the muscle no?

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 09:43
^^ exactly, a shake post-workout is the most important thing u can do, as that is when your body most needs it.

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 09:48
ask a guy who is actually BIG and whos been doin this stuff for years, it will be a whole different story.

all depends who u ask really.

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 11:30
Dooh double post!!!

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 11:33
Its not often "frank" comes out to play, but here he is!!

I dont care if avery1 you see has a shake after the gym TBH! It is not needed... Please dont cloud someons mind to wot they need when they dont need it.

Protein does not feed the muscles!!! incorrect, sorry m8,

C6 H12 O6 + 6O2 = 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy!

This how energy is made! The muscle cells are fed by the oxygenated blood carried to them.

Protein is made up from amino acids, these are the building blocks of life!! these are what you need to repair & build muscle tissue.

for the record some of the strongest & biggest ppl i have seen & trained, dont take suppliments & some are even vegans!! (eat no meat or fish or dairy)

Im not disputing the fact about shakes... the fact is, this individual in this instance does not need to be taking them!! FACT!

lecture over...

if you follow an all over weight/resistance programme you will see improvments, wot you need to start to do is recruit more muscle fibres that you already have, once you have more or less 100% of that, then you can start to progress....

but you dont have to listen to me... what do i know! LOL

not ment to argrovate any1 at all please take with a pinch of salt.

:oops:
i asked a big guy, not that i needed to - Tomec & he used to lift for Poland, i think thats correct!
he weighs 12st = 75kgs approx. & can bench 125kg plus the bar - olympic bar!! that over twice his body weight!! & wot suplimenst does he take none!! trains 7 days a week, no suppliments...

this individual isnt as developed as you krovaen...

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 11:37

for the record i deal with these kind of requests day in day out. trust... Oz did!! :P

bullit
30th September 2006, 13:29
cheers frank, you know a bit lol

yeah im sure westy will give you a good programme to follow. at this stage its all about performing exercises correctly with propper form and with everything just making progress.also just to learn how the machines work and how to perform excercise with free weights is a start.

then as westy has said further down the line when you wanna go a bit further maybe a supplement. bobby theres threads on here that list all the foods you can get protein from so you know what you can eat to add some more protein into your diet. just see how you go and take it from there.

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 13:51
Bullit - spot on as usual!

like it!

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 14:12
The reason they stop taking anything before the comp is mainly water weight, etc. They wan't to look as tight and ripped as possible, this guy wants the OPPOSITE to that! he wants to look bigger and bulkyer. So that doesn't really apply to him whatsoever.

Creatine and L-Glutamine, OK... also WHEY Protien is fine too, if used properly!!!

As sammeer said, forget the weight gainers and meal replacments. To add muscle/weight its as complex as you make it. For example, ever see "Supersize me" - the guy ate macdonalds every day for x ammount of weeks, and what happened ? he got Fat. If you eat proper food (not that shit) you can put on weight (but the right type of weight that can be turned into muscle) - it wont be as easy as eating macdonalds or as fast but its what u got to do.

My advice is, dont let it get too complicated as u dont want to be a pro bodybuilder or anything. Simply eat well and eat more than normal, eat good meals with veg and chicken breasts etc. Eggs in morning, oats.. etc. Drink as much water through out the day as you can. As for gym Bullit here could maybe put u up a good workout out thats simple and based on adding muscle (if u ask him nicely! :oops: )

Good luck

some sound advise here,

weight - a very general term.... increase in weight = increase in bone denstiy, lean body mass, body fat %, hair on your head and/or hydration leves...

2 leters of water a day, increase the amount of complex carbs you eat, oats, whole meal pasta, & breads, nuts & seeds, pulses, fresh veg, fruit.

biggest meal in the morning, eating lil & often throughout the day, cut out the crap in your diet, dont eat past 8.30pm.

KISS

keep it simple stupid!!

Lets take Oz as an example, he stuck to my programme & advise & wasnt stupid at all... and in just over 5 weeks (without cutting out beer) he lost a stone & couldnt wear alot of his cloths... hes alot stronger leaner & meaner, with a good programme & sensible diet it can be done.... now he wants another programme.... DOOH! :bored:

dream the impossible... then make it happen!! :oops:

Leo
30th September 2006, 14:30
This program would be free, right?

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 14:34
yeh i wouldnt mind a good dieting programme.

bored of mine, eatin the same old shit day in day out.

Leo
30th September 2006, 14:45
I eat the same shit too its annoying as fuck. brown rice+veg+3 chicken breasts, 10 boiled eggs (MMMMMMMM *pukes*) - etc etc etc

Sometimes when i am feeling a little crazy i use white rice

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 14:48
i just drink my eggs raw, 12 a day. Costing a bit too much though so i'll have to reduce the amount. Dont eat as many chicken tits as you, only 1 n a half a day (depending on how big they are)

it aint cheap!

Leo
30th September 2006, 14:54
yeh its a fortune, i heard ur body cant digest the protien in raw eggs to boil mine. i tried munch some boiled eggs this morning before gym and nearly puked, litterly. so had good old oats instead.

My old man gets meat cheap which is ace, he was a market trader and new the meat man so gets it cheap. and its reallllly good meat too. Can get about 12 chicken breast for a fiver and a bag of about the same amount of decent Steaks for a fiver too. lasts me about 2 weeks

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 14:59
sounds good, cant whack a good bit of steak!

id rather eat my eggs boiled as i love boiled eggs but i just cant be arsed to boil them. im starting to really hate porridge, too much pissin about to make it and its messy and takes years to cool down!

i like eatin meat from the deli but i heard it aint as good, that some of it is processed shite. I only buy turkey breast and potatoe salad anyway, so i'll stick with it for now... gonna go there now actually :D

Leo
30th September 2006, 15:11
ah that reminds me i wannt get some turkey breast could eat that ll day long

WestyVTR
30th September 2006, 15:22
yeh i wouldnt mind a good dieting programme.

bored of mine, eatin the same old shit day in day out.

hit me ill have a look at it for you!??

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 15:29
will do.

Leo
30th September 2006, 15:51
How about posting up a diet on here m8, a general one for someone looking to gain while going gym

Mitchell
30th September 2006, 16:11
thats a good idea yeh

bullit
30th September 2006, 16:24
kroveon, if your bulking you dont want to eat porridge cause it gives you the full feeling, the idea being to eat more.
leo, kroveon have you tried just doin you eggs scrambled. 2 mins in the microwave really easy

eating the same is boring but just think every mouthful is helping your phsique. i used to make chicken, tuna egg salads or pasta thrown in. so your not eating just one thing. its better also as there is a different bv value in each protein source so if you mix them together your getting a fuller protein as the chicken might be lacking in some amino the tuna or eggs wont be.

Leo
30th September 2006, 17:49
yeh i love scrambled egss. people i talk to dont eat the yolks, just the whites. i personally eat the yolk (struggle without it, sick) - the yolk is full or iron, dont see why BB's dont bother with it, well i guess it contains Some fat

Apz1
30th September 2006, 21:09
[QUOTE=WestyVTR;678393]

biggest meal in the morning, eating lil & often throughout the day, cut out the crap in your diet, dont eat past 8.30pm.

QUOTE]

Can I ask you the reasons for not eating past 8:30pm when someone is wanting to add mass?

[QUOTE=WestyVTR;678393]

Y r you taking protein! you need a palmfull portion per day! Yes even if your working out!!! What you require is an increase in natural amino acids!

QUOTE]

this seems to contradict itself, when protein is made up of amino acids how else do you suggest he increases the aminos he intakes?

[QUOTE=WestyVTR;678393]

for the record some of the strongest & biggest ppl i have seen & trained, dont take suppliments & some are even vegans!! (eat no meat or fish or dairy)

QUOTE]

And every sucesesful vegan/veggie BBer i know makes up for it by takeing soya products, cottage cheese ets... no nuts etc dont have a full amino pool so most people would find it very hard 2 gain muscle off just this sort of food.

[QUOTE=WestyVTR;678393]

I dont care if avery1 you see has a shake after the gym TBH! It is not needed... Please dont cloud someons mind to wot they need when they dont need it.

QUOTE]

during the time immediately post workout, our bodies are in a state of shock and physical disarray, resulting in an opportunity for enhanced nutrient absorption and accelerated recovery... whey is not needed, but most people opt for it because with water it can be digested very quickly

.... If you want to get good muscle gains increase your calorie intake with clean foods get a good balance of Protein, complex carbs and EFAs (omega 3,6,9), Whey can be supplimented in but not necessary, and get a good routine with the big compound movements in and dont overtrain by using 2many isolation movements etc, compounds are the KEY.

Apz1
30th September 2006, 21:09
my quotes got a bit fked up^^

Leo
30th September 2006, 21:48
Some very nice points there Apz1!

WestyVTR
1st October 2006, 11:35
my quotes got a bit fked up^^

just a little LOL

Large meals late at night mean calories storing as fat.

The point im making is that its not protein itself that "builds muscle".
the reason i mentioned nuts & seeds & pulses was to broaden ppls outlook on foods rather than the usuall meat & 2 veg stylee.

the ""wot u require" wasnt me speaking specifically. general terms.

Its well documented that after a good weight training session your metabolic rate is significantly raised. & lasts for 4 times longer than after cardio - off the top of my head.... is that correct! if not my bad!

bullit
1st October 2006, 11:50
APZ1 your right. did you read up on mentzer at all by the way

WestyVTR
1st October 2006, 12:03
How about posting up a diet on here m8, a general one for someone looking to gain while going gym

because everyone is an indivdual & diets dont work! a good well baleance diet is required... read my previous posts & Apz1's in this thred!

Leo
1st October 2006, 13:22
^ yes mate I mean a general one, dosesn't have to be pefect. For example when I started training I didn't even Know a hell of alot was to do with eating. I mean this guy who wants to go gym, put him up something basic.

WestyVTR
2nd October 2006, 06:21
i dont understand! wot your asking is for me to write is somthing basic that is very general & non specific. in a word pointless. Just eat a normal balanced diet! as suggested above & in the sticky at the top of the forum i believe.

You shouldnt go on & off a diet, your diet is your diet! keep it balanced with a lil of everything.

this may help

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/westyvtr/Food1.jpg