PDA

View Full Version : Wheels....

Russ
26th January 2004, 02:28
Hi All.

Okay I'm a dumbass, but can I stick 16" wheels straight onto my VTS without any trouble? (W 2000 Reg, Mk2 VTS.)
I want to get rid of those bland 15" Indianapolis alloys, and stick on something sexier.

I know it's all to do with tyre width and crap like that, but just give it to me straight. (No gay pun intended there!)

Cheers in advance
Russ

barrett
26th January 2004, 03:33
if you post the tyre width here then people will be able to tell you.

Russ
27th January 2004, 03:20
Good Point!!!!

Well the standards are:
Tyre: 195/45 R15 79H - whatever that means - and that's about all I know.
Does this help? (Yep - i know shit-all!)

A4RDN
28th January 2004, 15:10
not to sure that they will go straight on best thing to do is get ur arches done that way if you wanan go any higher than 16's u wont have any trouble

Russ
28th January 2004, 17:08
Darn it! So sticking on wheels bigger than the original 15inchers is going to be a pain.
I can't be arsed to mod the arches - i literaly just wanna plnk on some bigger wheels - if they were to fit withotu rubbing, etc.

Looks like I may have to opt for a pair of lighter and sexier alloys but stay with 15" smileys/smiley19.gif

If anyone suddenly has knows anyother ways of putting 16"s on, let me know.

Cheers All

Scott
28th January 2004, 17:52
if you dont want any rubbing on 16's then you need to get the 195/40 tyres, these are extremely low profile and give almost the same rolling radius as 15's

normally you get 195/45 tyres on 16's and these will rub slightly on the rear bumper bracket but this is easily solved by either hammering it out the way or for extra piece of mind just cut it off

Russ
28th January 2004, 18:03
Thanks Scott.

So, getting a nice set of 16"s with some incredibly low profile tyres will go straight on - sweet!
What does the 195 /40 mean anyway?
bareing in mind my car is green - any alloys you would avoid?

cheers

DAVIE
28th January 2004, 18:05
I have 16" rims on Dunlop 40 profiles with no rubbing.
Go to www.mytyres.co.uk and you can get 195/40 Dunlops for around £70 each.Then for around £30 you can get all four tyres fitted on your 16" rims at a local garage.Anywhere else it cost £100 each tyre fitted.

Russ
28th January 2004, 18:14
Nice!
Cheers for that! Could you whack them straight onto your Saxo without modding anything? And does the fact you've got low profile tyres mean they wear out quicker?

DAVIE
28th January 2004, 18:21
They go staight on with no probs. Dont know about the tyre wearing down quicker.But as soon as you put them on you will want to lower your car as there is a big difference in height between the arch and tyre.
Thats what i am going for next.

Scott
28th January 2004, 20:06
shouldnt wear any faster just cos they are lower profilesmileys/happy.gif

what tyre markings mean

Example: 195 / 45 r 16

the 195 stands for the width of the tyre in mm

the 45 is the thickness of the side wall, this is taken as a percentage of the tyre width, so 45 means the the side wall is 45% of the tyre width

the r stands for the way the tyre was made in the normal case its r standing for radial

the 16 stands for the size of wheel that the tyre was designed to fit in this case 16

There is a letter in there somewhere like a v or something this tells you how the tyre has been designed for speed and different letters stand for different speed sbut this isnt important really