PDA

View Full Version : Press Ups

Yates
25th December 2006, 13:00
cant be arsed to search, but what muscles do they work?

im guessin chest shoulders and back, but just want confirmation on that

started doing them, 25 wide arm, 25 normal, 25 tricep and then 25 of the diamond (where hands make diamond shape) press ups

want to work on my back more and shoulders

Leo
25th December 2006, 13:11
i think its all in the grip etc. having legs higher up say on a box or something really hits the chest. i think any grip will work the arms n shoulders with pure brute strengh, and wider grip would hit the back more

bullit
26th December 2006, 15:06
diamond shape (close grip) will work triceps, others mainly chest. if you want to work your back you want to be doing pullups, that if your not using any weights

Yates
26th December 2006, 20:42
i use weights just want somethin i can do at home easily instead of going down the gym

bullit
27th December 2006, 13:11
thought so. they will work you back if your counting you traps, then you can do pullups anywhere do them wide grip to hit your lats

Yates
30th December 2006, 22:56
i do wide when i can, but not much chance apart from at the gym, going to invest in a pull up bar for when im away, but then the widest i can go is as wide as a door!

James
30th December 2006, 23:35
i do wide when i can, but not much chance apart from at the gym, going to invest in a pull up bar for when im away, but then the widest i can go is as wide as a door!

Had one for 2 years, binned it when it fall down and landed on me. Never bothered investing in a new one .. There pretty good though man, you just get in the habbit of doing them all the time when you walk under it...

Leo
30th December 2006, 23:37
yeh my chinning bars door width its ok not gr8. really want them wide grip ones that mount to a wall

WestyVTR
1st January 2007, 07:18
press ups prime mover is teh pectorialis major - chest. Major assisting muscles are the triceps and deltoids. The narrower your hands the more you work triceps, harder as the muscle group is smaller than chest. you should always work in balance (unless uinbalanced!) try single arm dumbell rows, chin ups, seated row and lat pull down, reverse flys for your back muscles, shoulder press, lat raises, frontal raises for shoulders.