PDA

View Full Version : footwell neons and switches

rick_saxo_smith
9th May 2004, 03:31
i'm lookin to install sum neons to brighten the interior and i want to fix them up to switches that i am gna put in the spaces on the switch panel on the centre console

where do i connect em to get the power from and how can i wire them both up to a switch/switches on the console

rick_saxo_smith
9th May 2004, 03:31
by the way, i dnt want to plug them into the cigi lighter

barrett
9th May 2004, 03:35
think u could take the power from the live feed on the cigi lighter and do it that way.... as for wiring them into a switch if u want to have it the same as the hazard lights and the rear window heater u will have to go and get one of those switches from a scrappy. Or u could cut a hole in an existing one and put a normal switch on it

oz_borne
9th May 2004, 16:37
yeah that is possible.

I have four neons running to the same switch but mine is under teh dash, thought it was too much like hard work putting it in centre console. You need the orange wire from teh cig lighter and obviously a longer + wire from teh neons. Don't for get to put the inline fuse back in. That will have been in the cigarette lighter bit that you cut off. You'll need to get a holder from halfords or whereever. A 5 amp holder is plenty.

Mount them first and tehn run the wires to teh fuse and tehn on to the switch. also teh negative can run to the drivers or passenger side. through the carpet just to the left of teh bonnet release catch, there is a large bolt, un do that and behind teh carpet is an earthing point. I ran all my negatices to a loop attachment and put it beneath all of the standard ones. This ensures good contact. Make sure it's all done up properly. and wham.

I also fitted the positive up to the door openers so that when the doors open they automatically come on. That looks trick.

smileys/smiley14.gif

Smithy2003
9th May 2004, 18:55
I was thinking about doing this but i have ZERO electrical knowledge.
**"Don't for get to put the inline fuse back in. That will have been in the cigarette lighter bit that you cut off"**
If i take the orange wire off as close to the cig lighter as possible will that already have an inline fuse in or did u mean that because u took the fuse out to do the work, put it back in??

I understand the earthing part.
Do the blanking plates on the dash just pull off somehow, or is it a case of taking the centre console out to get at them?

I'll prolly have some more questions, i just can't think of them yet......

Smithy2003
9th May 2004, 19:00
Is it possible to wire them to the cig lighter and not cut the wire?

Just so its not knackered when i come to see the car.

barrett
9th May 2004, 19:20
yeah the switches just pop out... use a screw driver... they arent switches though.

And as for the cig wire.. u could just melt it in a section and attach the wire onto that then put electrical tape over the top of it.

Smithy2003
9th May 2004, 19:44
Where does the switch come in?

Pos from neon to cig lighter and neg to earthing point. Fuse in and it'll light up..

Pos wire from lighter to switch, then a wire from the switch to neon?
Earth the neg as normal and ready to go?

barrett
9th May 2004, 20:06
if i get time later i will draw a circuit diagram for u

Smithy2003
9th May 2004, 20:09
Cheers that'll be a GREAT help smileys/smiley4.gif
Something to look at while i'm waiting for my temp job to be confirmed, see what i need to do etc.

Anyone know if i can put two neon tubes through one tranformer or how to fix a trans?
One of mines knackered!

oz_borne
10th May 2004, 02:17
RIGHT,

dunno about the transformer thing you are on about. but i have one fuse and they all go through it.

i didn't cut the cig lighter wire, i crimped into it using a blue snap on block that cuts both wires enough to make a contact.

my wiring went like this. crimp in to orange wire and a red wire from the fuse housing i bought....red wire to fuse, red wire from fuse to the switch, then a red wire from the other terminal to positive wire of neon i used an inline connecting bullet and female adaptor to connect the two ends. then neg to the earth/.

through teh switch and bask in the glow.

smileys/smiley14.gif

barrett
10th May 2004, 02:22
there u go... wiring made easy by oz

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 02:24
ok i got three lines and went dizzy....try again....
It'd prolly be easier if i could actually see what i was doing.
I'm a visual person!

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 02:29
RIGHT!!</font>Got itsmileys/smiley4.gif

Cheers SO much for making that easy. See the teacher side coming out.

barrett
10th May 2004, 02:54
LMBO! © sax-p... in other words smithy when u come to do it follow these instruction right down to every last word and u shouldnt go wrongsmileys/smiley4.gif

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 03:06
Thats what i'm planning on doing.

Just wait till it comes to the components, sub and amp set up!
Got something kewl planned for the back tho.Standby...

Experimenting my techniques on my mates car with his money tho, so if i naff that up....woops, don't do it to mine, start again on hissmileys/happy.gif

barrett
10th May 2004, 03:15
lol... its fairly simple if u know what your doing for the installation of subs etcsmileys/smiley17.gif

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 03:20
Look above - It was a simple switch!! LOL

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 03:21
Sub, Amp, Components - YEAH RIGHT!

Shouldn't be too bad....mates got a Haynes Ice manual - Follow that to the letter instead smileys/smiley4.gif

barrett
10th May 2004, 04:14
lol... its quite simple to do... just run the live wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the live on the amp... then run the phono lines from the back of the head unit to the amp then find an appropriate earthing point and both the earth onto it. Job donesmileys/smiley14.gif

Smithy2003
10th May 2004, 19:42
lol