PDA

View Full Version : average times.

daveg_vtr
3rd February 2007, 12:46
anyone now what time the average 21year old should be able to run a mile in?
cause a just joined the gym an it would give me a target to go for.

Ryan
3rd February 2007, 13:42
there is no average in reality.

however you should be aiming for sub 6 mins in reality, as world class athletes consistently run sub 4mins.

Yates
6th February 2007, 09:57
i run mile and half in just over 9 mins, dont really push myself doing it tho

like ryan says 6 mins is a good time to do it in

Barry123
6th February 2007, 10:14
I just whack the runner at 12km/h (metric at my gym) and complete a km every 5 mins.

which means im completing a mile (1600m) in 8 mins. never really gone all out tho

Ryan
6th February 2007, 14:55
I just whack the runner at 12km/h (metric at my gym) and complete a km every 5 mins.

which means im completing a mile (1600m) in 8 mins. never really gone all out tho

treadmills

ARGH the bain of the world....

:homme: :homme: :homme:

Barry123
6th February 2007, 14:59
treadmills

ARGH the bain of the world....

:homme: :homme: :homme:

They bore the living sh*t out of me to be honest... I've opted for circuit training now. bit more sociable.

S34MER
6th February 2007, 15:38
depends on many things, height being the main one, a taller person should be able to run it quicker in theory, as they have a much larger stride, but aim for 5mins 30secs as a target! as long as your under 7 mins your laughing, thats the requirement for the army, and its piss easy, i reckon could jog it in 7 mins!

Ryan
6th February 2007, 19:36
depends on many things, height being the main one, a taller person should be able to run it quicker in theory, as they have a much larger stride, but aim for 5mins 30secs as a target! as long as your under 7 mins your laughing, thats the requirement for the army, and its piss easy, i reckon could jog it in 7 mins!

thats bull!!! taller doesnt mean you have a longer stride length!
trust me! some small people can have long legs to, and stride length isnt about size, its generally about hip flexibility.

running isnt just stride length, there is such a thing as overstriding! Its more about transfering the energy correctly utilising it in the correct path rather than wasting it.

the factors that can limit this are basic stuff like hip flexibility, a lack of this will inhibit the knee lift and cause someone to run with low hips, thus not transfering the energy properly.

the worlds best long distance runners are not all tall!

Ryan
6th February 2007, 19:37
They bore the living sh*t out of me to be honest... I've opted for circuit training now. bit more sociable.

good lad, treadmills are shite!
especially if you want to run correctly, to many people run on tread mills and run with incorrect technique because of this, they tend to cheat the running motion as the bed is moving underneath them rather than you propelling the body forward under its own force!

get out into the real world if you want to run :P

jay
17th February 2007, 08:55
u should be able to do it in 6/7 minutes fairly easily, i run the 1.5 mile in the low nines