PDA

View Full Version : Playstation3

Mystic
5th February 2007, 12:14
My little bro has been in miami since september but arrived home on saturday with a PS3 in his bag.

So far i must admit im wildly underwhelmed by what iv seen. The controllers are identical to the last playstation with the exception of them being wireless (they charge via usb and can also be used in wired mode with the same usb cable) The L2 & R2 buttons are anologue triggers now too which is a bonus.

The console itself is huge & the PS3 seems to share the same font as Spiderman (whats with that?)

Thus far the most impressive thing is the Eject button, its not really a button its like touch sensitive so you just brush lightly over it. Needless to say iv spent more time playin with the eject button than i care to put into playing any of the games.

Anyone else had a shot of one or can reccomnd me a game to get for it? Iv played NBA, NFS Carbon & Resitance (or something)

:n:

Predator_R32
5th February 2007, 12:20
interesting lol, really dont know if i want one really, like the ide of the eject button though lol ;)

tstapleton
5th February 2007, 12:26
What type of TV did you play it on, as I believe you won't see the full effects of the graphics unless you use a HD ready TV and plug it in with those special leads you get with the PS3

Mystic
5th February 2007, 12:30
Played it on both, he initially set it up in the lounge on HD, but after all his homies came round me mum sensed the room was about to be trashed & kicked them all in2 his room. (His room got totally trashed, too many drunks, good call mum ;))

I didnt notice much of a difference between the two really, but even from a gameplay point of view it just didnt blow me away they way i was expecting it to :sad:

Too much hype i think, has killed it!

tstapleton
5th February 2007, 12:34
Played it on both, he initially set it up in the lounge on HD, but after all his homies came round me mum sensed the room was about to be trashed & kicked them all in2 his room. (His room got totally trashed, too many drunks, good call mum ;))

I didnt notice much of a difference between the two really, but even from a gameplay point of view it just didnt blow me away they way i was expecting it to :sad:

Too much hype i think, has killed it!

Sounds like the PS3 is going to be a big dissapointment then mate :n:

I remember the days of playing the N64 with all my mates round Goldeneye it was and then mum would come home and chuck us out - ah memories lol

John
5th February 2007, 12:36
Sounds like the PS3 is going to be a big dissapointment then mate :n:

I remember the days of playing the N64 with all my mates round Goldeneye it was and then mum would come home and chuck us out - ah memories lol

What she even chuked you out thats not very nice lol

Clouds_mate
5th February 2007, 12:41
I was a big sony fan. Hated the xbox. But in the summer of '06 ;) I just had an inpulse buy and bought my premium 360. Never looked back, Wasnt really into gaming since i realised the joys of ladys, beer and drugs. But now i love my console and everything about it, I went out and bought a 32 HDTV just for my gaming pleasure.

Thing about consoles are that people are very narrow minded just like i was when i was on the ps1 and ps2. If the ps3 is that much better then the 360 that people on here keep saying and i have a go and it is i will be happy to go otu and buy one. But atm its the 360 for me

furiomike
5th February 2007, 12:44
there is quite a difference between HD and SD.....

but yeh they are a bit cack

Jungle_Jim
5th February 2007, 12:47
you will need to buy an HDMI cable to get the full effect even if its connected to an HD tv. i have just bought call of duty 3 for it i am just waiting for it to arrive.
at the moment the selection of launch titles are a bit crap, but once its lauched over here it will improve, rainbow six las vegas is out along with gran tursimo HD in march.
as for the controllers they have sixaxis as well, its a sensor inside them that detects movement, abit like a wii.

saxo_on_19s
5th February 2007, 12:51
I was a big sony fan. Hated the xbox. But in the summer of '06 ;) I just had an inpulse buy and bought my premium 360. Never looked back, Wasnt really into gaming since i realised the joys of ladys, beer and drugs. But now i love my console and everything about it, I went out and bought a 32 HDTV just for my gaming pleasure.

Thing about consoles are that people are very narrow minded just like i was when i was on the ps1 and ps2. If the ps3 is that much better then the 360 that people on here keep saying and i have a go and it is i will be happy to go otu and buy one. But atm its the 360 for me

Totally agree!!

tstapleton
5th February 2007, 12:55
What she even chuked you out thats not very nice lol

well out of the living room lol :)

PhillyT
5th February 2007, 13:43
Sorry mate buyt i COMPLETLEY DISAGREE with everything you said.

Ive had my PS3 since mid December, imported from Japan via the wonderful eBay.

My first impressions were 'WOW'

The PS3 itself is alot larger than you'd think or expect, but when you look at the specs of the system and think about the power of the system your dealing with you soon realise that this is one BEAST of machine! And the carcas re-enforces that! Its super silky shiney black - very sexy, and has the PLAYSTATION 3 log stamped across the front in Chrome (yes it shares the SONY Spinderman font - dont see anythign particularly wrong with this tbh its not bad or anything and the console doesnt look spider related in anyway - its jus a cool font).

The touch sensitive power on, reset and eject buttons are very cool and the way the PS3 takes in a CD (there is no tray!).

The controller - i was amazed at! They ditched the dubbed 'banana' NEW style design for the classic PlayStation design due to CONSUMER DEMAND, and people not liking the 'new' design, so they reverted back to the classic style. Personally i liked the futurisic look of the new controller, but obviously theres nothing wrong with the classic design so why risk it? Its by far the best console controller available n out there anyway.

The first thing you notice about the controller is that it is INCREDBILY light! Pick up your PS2 or PS1 controller in the other ahand and you'll wonder how you ever played with those bricks! Its so light that when you imagine a heavy hard gaming session you wonder if it will withold the pressure placed on it by your hands or if you will be flying about n have difficulty keeping it in your lap its that light.

Wireless - Excellent, 30hrs + Battery life per charge. You can charge it via your PC usb cable too if you wish. The PS button in the centre is also a very very cool feature!

Press this once to activate and turn on your controller, and it is assigned a number (shown via an LED display) between 1-4.. add a second controller - again just switch it on.. and that controller is assigned #2 Cool! so you can see what controller number you are just by checking the display. The PS3 has compatibility for up to EIGHT ( 8 ) controllers at once, despite the controller display only showing up 2 #4.

Hold this PS button down and you get some on screen options - Turn off the controller (sensible!), Quit the game and return to main menu (nice! no more resetting!) and finally - Turn off console! YES The controller will TURN OFF your PS3 without you habing to leave your seat!! Happy Days for lazy asses lol. the controller also has the ability to turn the PS3 on too :)

So i was well impressed with the hardware. Memory card slots to view your photos on your TV or copy them (and media for that matter - music, video you name it) to the built in 6-GB harddrive - which you CAN upgrade to anysize SATA drive i belive if your confident enough to void you warranty in the process.

The GAMES

I have RESISTANCE Fall of Man - Absolutely AMAZING!! IT scares the shit out of you! I played with my cousin in the dark (it jus happened to get dark as we played all afternoon and through to the evening) and we found our selves leaning over to try and look round the corners we were so shitting ourselves in anticipation of those alien monster things coming at you - its an excellent game best ive played id say! Its also dubbed the Best PS3 game available globally too at the moment, and id say i have to agree with that. Co-Op mode is great. Excellent sound, amazing graphics.

BTW - im not running on an HDTV yet and was still impressed with the PS3 graphics. They are JUST as good as XBOX360 graphics (on of which ny brother currently has in the living room since its release over a year ago - so i am well acustomed to both). Consider that the xbox has had a years worth of game releases, this is known as 'second batch'.. perhaps even Third batch by now where the graphcis in games get better and better.. the PS3's FIRST batch of launch games r proving to be just as good as the xbox's 2nd n 3rd generation of games. I have no doubt that the PS3 will superciede the xbox 360's graphical power when the developers have had a chance to develop games for the platform for a year or so and catch up. The playstation 3 is a much better machine hardware wise - that is undeniable. If you know anything about anything you'll read the specs and see this for yourself. So im still waiting to see it in action on a HD TV that should be brilliant.

RIDGE RACER 7 - WOW! Excellent, same arcady feel as always, does not disappoint. Nothing particularly 'new' in terms of features that ive noticed though - but still an excellent excellent game, graphcis are stunning. One of my fav's!

CALL OF DUTY 3 - Again another stunner! This one has everything, also Wii style motion sensory segments in the game too where you have to wave the controller about to get a crout off you and things like that. Graphcially impressive and very fun, probably my no.#1 choice game atm.

aaannnnyyyhooo... Sorry if ive babbled on a bit there, but i had alot to say and jus disagreed with what the guy who started this thread was saying compeltly. Didnt mean to offend anyone if i have. I dont kno if he's a gamer or is involved with console's much but anyone know whos their salt's worth in the console market knows that this is an amazing machine with heaps of potential, and is already JUST as good as its coimpetitors (at launch) never mind with a year or two's development behind it! The PS3 will be big! Let it start though.. please! lol.

One very very happy PS3 Owner!

CampDavid
5th February 2007, 13:47
I couldn't care less.

Until Gran Tourismo comes out. Then I will rebuild my saxo in 106 form as I have on GT4 and nail round the ring till my fingers blead

Mystic
5th February 2007, 14:02
Sorry mate buyt i COMPLETLEY DISAGREE with everything you said.

You dont completely disagree i dont think...

The console itself is huge
The PS3 itself is alot larger than you'd think or expect

Thus far the most impressive thing is the Eject button, its not really a button its like touch sensitive so you just brush lightly over it. Needless to say iv spent more time playin with the eject button than i care to put into playing any of the games.

The touch sensitive power on, reset and eject buttons are very cool

Regardless, im glad you enjoy it & dispite me nipping at the old style controllers i was one of those appauled readers when i saw images of the boomerang style controller!

First Person Shooters will never get my favour on a console i dont think, No matter how good you are at it, give me a keyboard & mouse & ill embarrass you ;)

Im looking forward to trying GT on it and i might get out and buy CoD to see if it impresses me more than that resistance game.

I'v been looking forward to the PS3 for quite a long time, but so far i think the only thing which might outweigh my dissapointment will b the final episode of LOST... i mean really, after 2 years what possible end can they come up with that will impress you :P

Maybe i just expect too much from everything ;)

TU-Tuning
5th February 2007, 14:06
I couldn't care less.

Until Gran Tourismo comes out. Then I will rebuild my saxo in 106 form as I have on GT4 and nail round the ring till my fingers blead

Only reason id buy one. Easily the best games ever. Wish they carried on allowing you to use 'race car modifications' after the first one though that made them look as fast as they were.

Jungle_Jim
6th February 2007, 15:14
My copy of call of duty 3 arrived this morning which i managed to get off ebay for £25 and i have to say its amazing, probably the best game i have played, love the way the sixaxis part of the ps3 controller allows you to do stuff by simply moving the controller to the left or right. the battle scene and smoke grenade / explosions are awesome
Mystic is definately worth getting. :y:

AdamW
6th February 2007, 15:23
Sounds like its just the same as thr 360............you can turn off the Xbox with your controller aswell......you can return to menu with the control... it has 25hrs Battery life on the controls....all in all I reckon PS3 has left it too late with all the delays. Im not saying it wont be a big hit but I feel people who already have a 360 wont be buying a PS3 aswell

S34MER
6th February 2007, 15:27
PhilyT thats the biggest post i've ever seen, and im not even going to bother reading it lol im going out in and hour and a half so don't have time!

But i might just buy a PS3 for the simple reason that the eject button sounds proper cool!

Scott
6th February 2007, 16:10
i dont see anything that the PS3 does over or any better than either my WII or Xbox. Over priced as well especially with this blu ray tosh.

VTS_16v_Boy
6th February 2007, 17:00
expect launch titles to be abit pony but give it at least a year and good games are sure to follow.

Look out for mainly Capcom and Lucas arts games

Jungle_Jim
6th February 2007, 17:09
does the xbox 360 allow to browse the net and does it let you rip cds on to the harddrive or save pics, just wondered.

you right basic lauch title are mainly poo but some are good, as with the ps3 there are updates which you download, similar to the psp. at this point in time only a small about of the ps3's hardware is being used its no where near opperating at its full potential, this wont be for a while and a good few more updates

Mystic
6th February 2007, 17:13
The origional xbox let you rip cds to the hard drive & listen to em during gameplay so i would imagine this one would too.

marv
6th February 2007, 17:14
does the xbox 360 allow to browse the net and does it let you rip cds on to the harddrive or save pics, just wondered.

Not officially but if you have Media Center theres a plugin that allows you to browse through the xbox.
An yer you can rip cd's to the hardrive. Although i prefer just to stream mp3s from my pc to xbox. Quicker an saves space on the HD.

SAM33R
6th February 2007, 17:24
the 360 is the ps3 killer, i played the PS3 and the graphics aint as good as it has been hyped up to be

minxymears
7th February 2007, 12:19
i know a chief designer from ubisoft, last games he worked on were Ghost Recon and advanced Warfighter, and Splinter Cell Double Agent, hes got a PS3 over in the States and says he prefers his 360 because of the online gameplay.
Also, game developers are currently spendin more time on the 360 titles as opposed to the sony titles.....

liamk15
7th February 2007, 12:26
im going over my mates tonight to try his out.Theyve all said is really good.probs just aload of shit

Modified
7th February 2007, 12:32
hmmmm PS3
ive not playied one but would like to, i cant imagine it being THAT good, went from a N64 (goldeneye WOW what a game) to a gamecube then a ps2 (only for GT3) and now my 360, and have to say i love the 360. on the release date of the PS3 xbox are relesing halo 3 which will just make the ps3 a complete flop! cant see it really doing too much to the game market as it stands but until i play one myself i cant comment to much on the way it runs and gameplay! :)

Certi
7th February 2007, 12:35
on the release date of the PS3 xbox are relesing halo 3 which will just make the ps3 a complete flop!

I take it you mean the multiplayer beta test rather than the complete game?

SNewham
7th February 2007, 12:35
I'm going to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo HD. Has anyone watched the trailor for it??

Mystic
7th February 2007, 12:36
My brother is blown away by the PS3 graphics. He seems blinded by the PS3 badge & thinks all the games hes played on it are the best graphical games in the world even though so far the graphics have been on par with my old dreamcast.

Hes fallen totally under the control of the brand logo.

As of yet, im still waiting to be impressed...

Modified
7th February 2007, 12:37
I take it you mean the multiplayer beta test rather than the complete game?

well the ps3 is due on the 23rd of march and halo 3 is out on the 30th of march!!!! already got halo3 on the pre order!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

Certi
7th February 2007, 12:39
According to play.com its the 30th of April and amazon still have it set as November. Where did you see it for 30th of March?

GrantW
7th February 2007, 12:40
I'm going to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo HD. Has anyone watched the trailor for it??

Yeah the trailer looks amazing! Really want one of these, but ive not got a HD tv yet lol so i might just wait till the price comes down a bit

Certi
7th February 2007, 12:42
HD does make a difference, but i've got my 360 running through a regular TV and the graphics are still awesome on games like GoW. You still see all the detail in the armour and light hitting the metal causing different effects. I wouldn't let the fact you don't have HD put you off buying one.

Modified
7th February 2007, 12:47
According to play.com its the 30th of April and amazon still have it set as November. Where did you see it for 30th of March?

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=XT0109&title=halo_3

gameplay is where i order all my 360 stuff :) and dont seem to have ne issues with it :)

yeah i running my 360 on a HDTV and it looks great! oh love HD!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Modifiedmatty/100_2323.jpg

Certi
7th February 2007, 12:55
Cool, I'll need to have a look when I get in.

GrantW
7th February 2007, 15:45
Theres a shop in Glasgow letting you reserve the PS3 for a £20 deposit, guaranteed you get it for the day it comes out. Final price is £465 (including £20 deposit) and thats with 1 game, renaissance or something. Dont know how many controllers you get with it, but its expensive anyway! Might just get a 360

Modified
7th February 2007, 16:16
yeah get a 360 they are really really good....trust me! :D

GrantW
7th February 2007, 16:17
well i was going to...but just got the post in, and my tax is due for renewal this month, £175 ouch! bang goes the £200 i had saved up!

Modified
7th February 2007, 16:22
yeah mine came thru today for my old car i sold about 3 weeks ago.....think i should tell them again but i have sent all the docs to them the night i sold it!!!!!