PDA

View Full Version : one for the computer geniuses

Robbo
10th February 2007, 13:25
right, id say my comps averagely powerfull, its pretty new and i can play games on it no problem.

just bought hitman: blood money today and it like.... its really slow, like stupidly slow, insted of it been smooth its like the screen refreshes every second instead of every few milliseconds or whatever its suposed to be when you play a game.... ive turned the graphics down to the lowest settings on the game and have just installed directx 9 and it hasnt helped at all.... any ideas people?

Rep available :)

Barry123
10th February 2007, 16:27
Try the game website mate, might be a patch available. also check your graphics card manufacturers website for driver updates...

hola back if it doesnt work

Clouds_mate
10th February 2007, 16:32
whats the disc space like on the drive the game is installed on?

What your spec of your machine.

MTR
10th February 2007, 16:35
PC spec would be very helpful. Hitman can tax some very good systems.

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:00
PC spec would be very helpful. Hitman can tax some very good systems.

whats the disc space like on the drive the game is installed on?

What your spec of your machine.

oh god that just went straight over my head. how do i find out?

Clouds_mate
10th February 2007, 17:05
Right click My Computer.. then Properties and it will tell you your spec on that page..

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:06
Computer:
AMD Sempron{TM} Processor 3000+
1.80GHz, 512MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Clouds_mate
10th February 2007, 17:08
here are the minimum require ments...

Here are the minimum requirements:
• Pentium 4 1.5Ghz or Athlon XP equivalent
• 512MB RAM
• 100% DirectX 9.0c Compatible Video Card (GeForce FX/Radeon 9500 or higher)
• 100% DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
• Quad-Speed (4x) DVD-Rom drive
• 5.0GB free disk space

You PC is boarder line for the game tbh...

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:08
hrm we will need to know...

Operating system (start>Run>Winver> will tell you the version)

Graphics card (right click on your desktop, properties, settings, it will say "Name of monitor" on "Name of graphics card")

Processor (Right click on my computer on desktop(if its not a shortcut) click properties, in the dialog that comes up it will tell you the cpu and ram)

Ram (same as processor)

if you have an anti virus, try turning it off before you play games.

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:13
so even though its borderline and theres nothing else running apart from the game it shoudl still play well though shouldnt it..... is it more than likely my comp? the disc hasnt got a mark on it

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:19
so even though its borderline and theres nothing else running apart from the game it shoudl still play well though shouldnt it..... is it more than likely my comp? the disc hasnt got a mark on it

the game is installed on your pc i presume, it just uses the disk to verify that the game is legal, or it usualy does. what i would do is open the game, tab out of the game, right click on the bottom bar and click tast manager. click the cpu to order by the cpu usage, then look at what is using your cpu, if is nothing but the game you shouldnt have a problem. if u have other tasks running, right click on the game proccess and then click priority, then click high, or real time. other things u can do is stop the other tasks that are using the proccessor or ram.
if there is nothing but the game using the cpu, u might want to do the same with the ram usage. last thins i can think of is your graphics card drivers not installed properly, or using the wrong video render for the game.
Col

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:21
oh, and just because you don't think that there are other tasks running, it doesn't mean that there aren't any.

i really don't like not being able to edit my posts!!

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:22
the game is installed on your pc i presume, it just uses the disk to verify that the game is legal, or it usualy does. what i would do is open the game, tab out of the game, right click on the bottom bar and click tast manager. click the cpu to order by the cpu usage, then look at what is using your cpu, if is nothing but the game you shouldnt have a problem. if u have other tasks running, right click on the game proccess and then click priority, then click high, or real time. other things u can do is stop the other tasks that are using the proccessor or ram.
if there is nothing but the game using the cpu, u might want to do the same with the ram usage. last thins i can think of is your graphics card drivers not installed properly, or using the wrong video render for the game.
Col

cheers mate, i can play any other games perfectly fine. not very graphical games if you know what i meen... i.e. C&C Generals, Rainbow six's etc

ill have a go at what you just said and report back

cheers people, rep on the way

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:26
im just downloading a patch for it now v1.2

ill tell you how i get on

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:36
right its made it a bit better but its still unplayable. how much and where from can i get a bigger CPU or whatever i need to play the game?

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:48
http://dabs.com <best place on net to find something, but hen search google for a better price.

i'm pretty sure it wont need upgrading it will be your computer software not hardware.

but.. if you realy want to upgrade, with amd you may need to change your mother board. if this is nesesary i would change to pentium or amd athlon.
say 100 for the board, 100 for the processor.
if your graphics are on board the motherboard you will need to know this before you go and just buy any board, you may need to buy a grpahincs card and a sound card depending on the motherboard that you choose.

the 1st thing i would do upgrading my computer is the RAM, buying 1 stick of 512 ram is around 30-50 pounds (or was when i 1st got it) kingson is the best allround ram.

to be honest, i wouldn't waste my time upgrading a computer of that spec it should run the game. in game make sure your game render is not D3D as it is wank unless you have the graphics card set up correctly for it.

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:51
before you buy any upgrades, Please make sure their compatible!
ram upgrade will be DDR, but u will need to open the computer up and see what it is, you get different bus speeds and if u buy one with a slower bus speed that the one you have, both of them will work at the slower speed, so it will just be wasting your money of having the higher bus speed.
but if u just replace the stick that you already have in and buy 1gb, you wont have the problem, just make sure the ram is DDR not SD that you need.

Robbo
10th February 2007, 17:52
http://dabs.com <best place on net to find something, but hen search google for a better price.

i'm pretty sure it wont need upgrading it will be your computer software not hardware.

but.. if you realy want to upgrade, with amd you may need to change your mother board. if this is nesesary i would change to pentium or amd athlon.
say 100 for the board, 100 for the processor.
if your graphics are on board the motherboard you will need to know this before you go and just buy any board, you may need to buy a grpahincs card and a sound card depending on the motherboard that you choose.

the 1st thing i would do upgrading my computer is the RAM, buying 1 stick of 512 ram is around 30-50 pounds (or was when i 1st got it) kingson is the best allround ram.

to be honest, i wouldn't waste my time upgrading a computer of that spec it should run the game. in game make sure your game render is not D3D as it is wank unless you have the graphics card set up correctly for it.

honestly mate straight over my head. do i just need to buy a graphics card or something or some more RAM?

Col468
10th February 2007, 17:59
lol sorry mate, what im saying is...

dont upgrade. ask the people that know more about the game, it will be a setting or something not agreeing with your computer setup.

but, IF i was going to upgrade your computer, without spending 200+ on it i would only buy RAM and maby a new graphics card (decent 1 50+)

Robbo
10th February 2007, 18:25
lol sorry mate, what im saying is...

dont upgrade. ask the people that know more about the game, it will be a setting or something not agreeing with your computer setup.

but, IF i was going to upgrade your computer, without spending 200+ on it i would only buy RAM and maby a new graphics card (decent 1 50+)

thanks mate, youve helped ALOT!

ive repped everyone anyways :)

is it easy to put my own graphics card and ram in my comp?

BENSAX3
10th February 2007, 19:16
normally for the ram it is plug and play if you have xp but the garphics card may need a different power supply depending on what one you get

Robbo
10th February 2007, 20:20
normally for the ram it is plug and play if you have xp but the garphics card may need a different power supply depending on what one you get

yeh i got xp, someone told me the ram is just plug it in. what do you meen different power supply?

MTR
10th February 2007, 20:30
you will need quite a good card to play Hitman. I'm thinking from your pc you will only have an agp port [what your graphics card 'sit' in] so choices are a tad more limited. One of the final AGP cards was the Geforce 6800GT which is a great card for hitman. Ebay might yeild some great results for that type of card. It needs one extra while molex power connector as it sucks a lot of power from the supply.
Some thing along these lines: Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEFORCE-6800gt-6800-gt-Msi-AGP-256mb-Artic-cooler_W0QQitemZ190079712328QQihZ009QQcategoryZ376 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Robbo
10th February 2007, 21:42
you will need quite a good card to play Hitman. I'm thinking from your pc you will only have an agp port [what your graphics card 'sit' in] so choices are a tad more limited. One of the final AGP cards was the Geforce 6800GT which is a great card for hitman. Ebay might yeild some great results for that type of card. It needs one extra while molex power connector as it sucks a lot of power from the supply.
Some thing along these lines: Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEFORCE-6800gt-6800-gt-Msi-AGP-256mb-Artic-cooler_W0QQitemZ190079712328QQihZ009QQcategoryZ376 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

mate your a star!

thanks for everyones help

Robbo

MTR
11th February 2007, 00:55
mate your a star!

thanks for everyones help

Robbo

No problem at all. :y:

Robbo
11th February 2007, 13:56

just found a problem with this graphics card...... wont it be too high spec for my comp and basically slow my comp down?

getting so much more confusing coz i showed a mate what the gameplay was like and he said its more of a problem with the processor.

reason im wanting to upgrade is im starting to play more pc games and want the most enjoyment.... im not just upgrading so i can play this one game before anyone thinks im weird lol

Col468
11th February 2007, 14:34
right, RAM is plug and play, IF it is the correct type of ram, ill explain...

you get different type of ram, most common these days is DDR and DDR2, most older computers use SD... there is also, VRAM, RDRAM, NVRAM, and i could go on...

the type of ram MUST be the same otherwise it just wont fit into your motherboard!

you also get different BUS speeds of the RAM. PC2100, PC2700, PC3200, PC3500, PC3700. if you have 2 ram in your motherboard with different bus speeds then they will both work at the Smaller bus speed.

This doesn't make that much difference but what you don't want to do is waste money buying ram with a faster bus speed than u already have, because it will be more expensive, therefore wasting money.

What you really need to know is what the ram in your computer is now, then buy one the same speed.

and buying a graphics card... make sure you have the slot on your motherboard, i have an APG is the port that you plug it into on the board.
you get PCI, PCI-Express, and APG. PCI all motherboards have (apart from older ones that have ICA, but forget about that) computers that are 2 years old will most probably have APG but PCI-Express is now the best.

I can explain this to you all day, but what we really need to know is the full spec of your computer. lol.

Col468
11th February 2007, 14:35
i 4got to highlight
make sure you have the slot on your motherboard for your graphics card

MTR
11th February 2007, 18:49
It's true your CPU could be a lot better but with 1GIG of mem and the graphics card i mentioned you'd still have a good games playing machine. In time you could put a faster AMD CPU in there but best bang-for-buck at the moment will be the card and ram.

djmartin
11th February 2007, 21:19
geforce get that card there sick :D

tbh the trade rate at the moment is low for RAM......PM and i can get you the stuff at trade rate ;).

furiomike
11th February 2007, 22:42
it seems a bit drastic, all this upgrading for one game. especially when you could buy it for the 360 and buy a 360 as well for about the same price lol.

did you say you have other games that work properly? like which games? did we establish what grapics card you have. tbh a 1.8ghz sempron/512 ram is a bit 2003 in terms of decent performance.

djmartin
11th February 2007, 22:53
yeh these days its dual processers and stuff now.

also if your goin for this kind of upgrade i you buy alot of games or you just aint gonna get your moneys worth in using it hence why like said above may aswell buy a 360 or a ps3

furiomike
11th February 2007, 23:05
anyway its a dempanding game. i have a 2.8ghz p4 dual core, 1gb ram, x800 256mb and i know it wouldnt run it too great

Robbo
12th February 2007, 17:05
it seems a bit drastic, all this upgrading for one game. especially when you could buy it for the 360 and buy a 360 as well for about the same price lol.

did you say you have other games that work properly? like which games? did we establish what grapics card you have. tbh a 1.8ghz sempron/512 ram is a bit 2003 in terms of decent performance.

its not just for one game, im starting to play more and more pc games and enjoy them more than the 360 :omg: so its probably best to upgrade a few things here and there