PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to Vista Ultimate....

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 11:04
Really like the new visuals but my games seem to crash which is pissing me off!

System Spec:

Athlon 64 3800+
2GB DDR 400
Geforce 7900GS 256MB DDR3

I was running it on 1GB of RAM and it was very sluggish! (Vista was using 50% of the RAM minimum just to run when idle!!!) So i went and bought another GB and its running quite well on 2GB now!

I really like the effects you can have on Vista but im not sure wheather to go back to XP as gaming used to run without any problems atall...... Loading up farr Cry and it just freezes a few mins into the game and you have to restart.

hmmm.....:n:

SNewham
11th March 2007, 11:07
Nice one mate, I'm not going to be upgrading to Vista. As you already said, it uses so much RAM just to run on idle which is a joke to be fair. Are you finding it good to use other than the games though?

scott

woodsy
11th March 2007, 11:07
whats the differance from xp to vista

any benifits???

djrem
11th March 2007, 11:08
you have to set them to WindowsXP SP 2 Comapatability mode or something.

All how software we provide at work doesnt work with Vista. in about 6months time we're gonna be fucked. :s

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 11:14
lol it is very good visually and i do like the features. It runs well with 2GB of RAM but no less!

At idle now its using 34% of my RAM and 10% CPU.....not bad!

It doesnt reset itself either like XP used to...... Im not too fussed as i didnt pay for Vista anyway *cough* *cough*

Only tried Far Cry so farr and its crashed every time :( .... Vista Ultimate 64Bit edition

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 11:31
A couple of screen shots i have just taken:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/darylrese/VistaUltimate1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/darylrese/VistaUltimate2.jpg

And Office 2007! ;) - Havn't used it yet but it looks scary!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/darylrese/MSWord2007.jpg

nufc_lad
11th March 2007, 11:34
have you downloaded the latest patch for far cry or new graphic card drivers?

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 11:52
Yes i have mate, Far Cry is meant to work with Vista according to Toms Hardware Guide so im guessing it might be another issue :S

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 12:04
you have to set them to WindowsXP SP 2 Comapatability mode or something.

Spot on mate , right clicked the exe for Far Cry and set to XP SP2 mode and played it for 30mins and no crashing :bored: yey!

saxodan
11th March 2007, 12:18
Get a cheapy 1gb mem stick for £10 or less

It will act as Ram on vista :wink:

DarylVTR
11th March 2007, 13:12
i have a 1GB memory stick for work, plugged it in and said use as system ram and it said incompatible! So i think it has to have a certain feature on it! I have seen some that say vista Systemboost compatible they are only like £15 for like 1GB but would it really be that efficiant as system memory?

saxodan
11th March 2007, 13:15
i have a 1GB memory stick for work, plugged it in and said use as system ram and it said incompatible! So i think it has to have a certain feature on it! I have seen some that say vista Systemboost compatible they are only like £15 for like 1GB but would it really be that efficiant as system memory?

Its just random access mem

it will treat it as a cache basically, so it will work faster as you opem more progs etc

only certain sticks work.. needs to be a certian standard, google is your freind for that one

got vista at work, but im running xp, works so there is no need for vista yet...

Dan

devilsadvocate
11th March 2007, 14:20
Wasnt keen on vista when i first tried it. Seemed to hog the RAM a lot and my broadband modem does not have drivers for it. I ran it using virtual PC so can boot it up and test whenever and can still use XP. I only paid £17.31 for it cause i can use the same licence that i do at work...

Predator_R32
11th March 2007, 14:42
i got premium vista with mine and its great stuff, will get copies of this somehow though ;)

argylefan1985
11th March 2007, 14:47
i installed vista yesterday, And to be honest im impressed,

I like it. and if i get fed up ive still got xp installed too aswell anyway, so i can choose which o/s on boot up anyway everyones a winner.

DarylVTR
12th March 2007, 08:59
Your doing a Duel Boot then! How did you do that?

Im pleased with it now ive got it stable and running all my programs.... The only thing is drivers you need to worry about in Vista! I dont have the lastest hardware and everything i need at the moment is working fine. All the drivers were found and installed with the o/s.. Only one i had to download was Nvidia Nforce Drivers for Vista x64

Mystic
12th March 2007, 09:04
Ugh, i wont be joining the vista club either. Microsoft have cause me too much pain. Im going MacOS :y:

djrem
12th March 2007, 09:31
can you actually run stuff on mac?

DarylVTR
12th March 2007, 09:53
can you actually run stuff on mac?

How do you mean? LOL

Mystic
12th March 2007, 10:01
The new MacOS can run microsoft office. The new macbooks are now intel based too so u can run windows & mac on them.

Windows is just such a rushed unplanned mistake. Gates should never have been given the go ahead for it. Amiga should have got the grant & we would be living in a much better world!

Mac is better at almost everything, it will just take alittle adjustment. Most of the large software companies develop for pc & mac & all i use my computer for is surfing & graphic/web design, so for me mac is the far better option!

DarylVTR
12th March 2007, 10:19
Only problem with the mac is that they are harder to upgrade arnt they?? I have to agree thou, Macs are pritty awsome

Mystic
12th March 2007, 10:22
Probably are, if your going for a desktop. Im getting a macBook though since my pc at home is still runing alright.

The macbook is just as hard to upgrade as a windows notebook would be, so it wont be too bad ;)

jonesyFX
12th March 2007, 10:35
im going back to XP :)

DarylVTR
12th March 2007, 12:41
im going back to XP :)

Whys that?

jonesyFX
12th March 2007, 12:51
most the stuff i have isnt compatible with it, and my "legal" version is causing alot of problems, so i think il use my proper XP :)

Clouds_mate
12th March 2007, 13:05
Just had a bash on a rather high spec machine in the office. Not really that impressed with it.

djrem
12th March 2007, 14:11
i might get a mac then.

OOOooo 3d alt tab?

erm that shouldnt really be a selling point of a new operating system.

Ive got office 2007 on my XP machine. Its alright. Its like a kids version of 2003 with loads of pictures.

DarylVTR
12th March 2007, 14:35
I wouldnt be too impressed if i paid the full £320 for Ultimate no, but i can't complain for £0 lol

My xp used to restart itself all the time, upgrading to vista seems to have sorted that very annoying problem out! Main thing i like is that fancy graphics other than that its pritty much xp.

Mystic
12th March 2007, 16:17
i might get a mac then.

OOOooo 3d alt tab?

erm that shouldnt really be a selling point of a new operating system.

They stole that from the Linux XGL's beta i suspect. In one year of development Linux XGL was something stupid like 500% more efficient in its use of hardware than vista was after its gruelling 8 year development life.

Im sure the example was XGL could run, what would look like vista, on a machine suitable for windows 98!

vtrchris64
12th March 2007, 19:07
i won't be upgrading to vista for a long time.

What this OP it looks so much better imo

http://thatvideosite.com/video/4040

ignore the music

Karl
13th March 2007, 13:19
anyone that pays 320 quid for Vista when they already have XP is silly imo.

Always buy products that are tried and tested first, that way you dont get the bugs and glitches.

MTR
13th March 2007, 20:19
Tried it through every beta version... never liked it. I play a lot of games on my home pc so Vista is basically useless for that right now. The state of some of the drivers are shocking.
The wow effect soon wears very thin and i found myself longing for the speed and ease of XP.
I'm sure once SP1 arrives for Vista most of the initial problems will be gone [like xp was] but until then it offers nothing more but a slightly more secure Digital rights platform for all the movie and record execs'. Once they get hot on this Vista will be a nightmare. The move to keep drivers away from the main kernal just means issues for anyone trying to get past DRM. :n:

DarylVTR
19th March 2007, 10:11
I have just downgraded back to XP. Games were farr too slow on Vista, put XP back on and they are running excellent on full graphics.

I wouldn't reccomend Vista to any gamers, but for people using their PC just for office and the internet its ok, just pleasing to the eye really and nothing else.

Robb
19th March 2007, 10:23
I have just downgraded back to XP. Games were farr too slow on Vista, put XP back on and they are running excellent on full graphics.

I wouldn't reccomend Vista to any gamers, but for people using their PC just for office and the internet its ok, just pleasing to the eye really and nothing else.

so i might aswell just downlaod the vista theme for xp?

DarylVTR
19th March 2007, 10:31
so i might aswell just downlaod the vista theme for xp?

Pritty much mate yes, although it isnt much like Vista if im totally honest. Different gadgets, no tranparacy and no effects as such but still looks good on XP.

Id say stay with XP. Certainly don't waste any money on buying Vista :panic:

Scott
19th March 2007, 11:04
i won't be upgrading to vista for a long time.

What this OP it looks so much better imo

http://thatvideosite.com/video/4040

ignore the music

linux pwns. That really looks snazzy