PDA

View Full Version : my fitness, diet and a couple of questions.

Richmt11
26th March 2007, 06:50
Hey all,

In the last 3 years i havent gained any height, only fat. 3 years ago i weighed in about 12.5 stone and ive been dead on 6ft since. Now i weigh 15.6

So 3 weeks ago i decided to do something about it. I only eat breakkie lunch and dinner now and have got myself down to 14.9 so im not going too bad the diest side.

I also decided to jog so i jog for around 45 mins a day, at first it was tough but now i can do 45 mins non stop so im extending my course as i can go for longer etc.

My first question, what is my ideal weight for my height and age? (im 19)

When i jog if i push myself i.e go for longer, further or sprint to the finish etc obviously my legs ache but after a few days the same muscle will ache and then it will be unbearable to go much longer on it. So i think here im pushign to its limit and tearing the muscle in order to built new? Now while its aching like last night it killed and now should i lay off the jogging tonight to let it heal? or go out and push it tonight?

And finally i read a sticky and it said after jogging the metabolism is boosted for 4-5 hours after. So should i jog when i get in from work at 2pm rather than currently when im jogging at 8-9pm (which is the most convenient for me).

Cheers,

Richard

Andys
26th March 2007, 09:24
hello mate, congrats on progress so far..

idea weight for your height..known as BMI (body mass index) its an equation of height verse weight to give you an 'ideal' which to be honest mate is bull. i think army still uses it and GPS will measure also. works great for some body types not for others. (as an example, myself as a natural bodybuilder come out obese as 5.7 but weigh in at 86Kg and at 15% fat, im def not that!), doesnt equat to the mass you carry and just looks at weight in general. id be looking at fat percentage mate or circumancial measurements (these can both be found on a google search or a decent local trainer)

true, cardio does give you what is called an 'after burn' effect, dependant on intesity and duration depends on how long that can continue consuming calories after you have finished exercising..but resistance can actually have an 'After Burn' effect up to 72 hours after training!

i would say afternoon sessions are better mate, dont disturb your sleeping patterns and will also help you process food better throughout the rest of the nutritional day! or dependant on what time you start work and how commited you are go for early am sessions!

WestyVTR
27th March 2007, 06:38
Rest is an important part of training and sleep shouldnt be effected. train when suits you but afternoon sessions would be better.

Your ideal weight will be when your body fat % is within the guidlines, say approx 20%. give or take a few %. BMI - ignore its not ideal and very general.

You may find that extending your time hits a limit you cant exceed so look at increasing your intensity within that time - run faster for a few seconds throughout the run for example - resistance work should be done also - look at compound exercises.

Well done for your progress...