PDA

View Full Version : starting doing a little training

craigy_87
28th March 2007, 21:46
well am about 5ft 10 and around 10 stone (perhaps abit more)
am hoping to gain some weight an muscle and have a few questions,
i know to achieve what i want am gonna have to eat like a bastid (not crap food i know) but there are times when i wont be able to have 5 or 6 meals a day just wondered if supplements like whey protein could help here?

also i have read that free weights might be better than using the machines at the gym, is this true?

i'm not looking to be a big bulky guy, jus not so skinny jus abit toned with a little bulk (sorry if that confusing lol)
well that all i can think of just now lol
any suggestions will be appreciated

Leo
28th March 2007, 21:54
Free weights are much better in my opinion. Simply because you are more involved etc. For example, a smith machine assists you in bench press.. but usng just the bar and weights you have to balence it yourself and all sorts, which all helps.

fuck the 6 meals off, just eat a bit more and get on the whey protein shakes, that should help alot. maybe try like have a bag of nuts as a "meal" etc (to make it more food through the day)

craigy_87
28th March 2007, 21:57
yeah thats what i read the machines take some of the work away from yourself, and yeah think i might get myself some whey protein shake stuff and when you say nuts that include cashew nuts cause there the danglies lol if not abit expensive lol

Leo
28th March 2007, 22:34
not sure what nuts are best but brazil nuts are very good for ya. peanuts etc, full of protein. i go for cashews as i love em.

apparently some machines over in the U.S are getting really advanced, but personally i much prefer good old dumbells and barbells

craigy_87
28th March 2007, 22:57
i'll go for a mixture tomorow but cashews are for certain lol

to be honest when av used my weights in the house i feel like av had a better work out rather than the machines at the gym i feel like tight kinda achy feeling like i cant do anymore lol then the next day my muscles are abit sore, not doing anything wrong am i lol

Leo
29th March 2007, 08:54
no that sounds right. that will fade though soon and you wont even feel like you have done anything the next day.. if it doesn't fade, you might be doing to much (over-training)

craigy_87
29th March 2007, 10:02
ahhh right cheers for that, to be honest its started to not ache as much the next day, i liked it tho lol made me feel like i'd been doin something

craigy_87
30th March 2007, 20:35
forgot to mention that my metabolism is damn high, eat most of anything an i dont seem to gain weight. just if that changes any advice given leo.

Leo
30th March 2007, 20:48
i'm not sure about metabolisms but one thing i have noticed is all the peopel who have said to me "i have a really high metabolism" - eat crap.. and peopel who eat crap either get fat or stay slim and are on the toilet alot, hence them thinking they have a high metabolism.

what sort of food do you eat? you on the toilet (#2) alot?

craigy_87
31st March 2007, 12:47
nah just crap like any normal person lol
an to be honest i do eat crap from time to time but i do eat healthy when i can.

bullit
1st April 2007, 09:02
if your ten stone you will find it harder to put on weight so you basialy will have to eat a lot more calories. factors also include what you do for work, anyother sports you do- stuff that will burn the calories of meaning that you will need to eat more.

if youve started gym i would just make sure you have a good diet makesure eat breakfast and not worry about supplements yet untill you know what your doin in the gym first as there is alot of leaning.

as said for free weights, they are better as stabilizer muscles are used which cant be with machines, but in some excecises machines do have a advantage

Clone
1st April 2007, 09:40
Im an apprentice scaffolder and im close to 10stone, about 5,11+ i would like to put on wieght, and as your talking about food what kinda stuff to eat? Atm i have 4-6 rolls and ham a day,while at work, every mon-friday for the last week.... would this be ok if i wanted to put on wieght? I would have tuna but i don't like it ;(

:hijack:

bullit
1st April 2007, 09:47
chicken, turkey, egg sandwiches

are you gyming aswell or just for work

Clone
1st April 2007, 10:40
Free wieghts and work in the house

kcsaxo
1st April 2007, 12:39
stick to basic free weight movements:

bench press
lat pull down
squats or leg press

basically exercises that require the use of more than one joint to lift the weight as you will be using more than one muscle group therefore stimulating more muscles. leave the machines until you have done the free weights so that you can hit them a couple more times without the worry of anything dropping on your head due to the smaller muscles being tired out.

learn very strict movements and once you have gotten used to the way of lifting, you might want to think about working within the 6-repetition range with heavy weights to get yourself pumped up. obviousley a warm up set is a must.

craigy_87
1st April 2007, 12:46
cheers for more advice guys
i dont do many sports at all really to be honest none lol an i work in a royal mail sorting office so am throwin heavy bags an walking about all my shift, but can start as early as 5am so makes breakfast difficult.
av been using free weights in the house every now an again, but jus started the gym about a week ago few times a week, feel abit of a tit doin free weights in the gym though.

kcsaxo
1st April 2007, 14:04
wouldnt worry about it mate, as long as you know that you are pushing yourself thats the important bit. leave your ego at the door, along with the fancy hair cuts and flip flops like some dick at my gym was wearing today! i was your weight when i started off and similar height, but i stuck at it and saw myself get bigger and stronger. it makes me laugh now when i see bigger guys than me lifting the same amount so dont worry about it.

this might sound daft but press-ups really help your chest to grow as will pull-ups since what you are doing is lifting your own body weight. its a great way to start getting into shape.

craigy_87
1st April 2007, 15:07
am the daddy at pull ups lol could be cause am so light lmao but yeah your right but its hard to just let go an make your f*cked up weight liftin face in the gym lol

bullit
1st April 2007, 17:34
if your on your feet allday you will need to eat more. when you get more experianced in the gym it will be easier as you through a shake down your neck at times.
with your free weights everyone has to start somewhere. just dont worry about it, just make sure you do the xcercises correctly. try and not be like most people, adding more on and doing it wong just to impress. also when you lift, do it like your a machine- same speed up and down controlling the weight.

i always remember abig bloke coming into our gym giving it the biggin to staff blah blah. he saw me doing bicep curls, i finished he went over to lift the weight but he basically dropped it, couldnt do one, lol.

Clone
1st April 2007, 19:17
Oh, what wieght were you lifting :)?

bullit
1st April 2007, 20:54
3x8 at 40kg. for my size was a lot :P

craigy_87
2nd April 2007, 01:15
off to the gym tomorow i'll give the free weights a try, i'll probably still use a machine or two though. i'll have some porridge in the mornin, any advice on what to eat after the gym? i have a tub of that whey protein sh*t aswell an some meal replacement bars in the boot of the car i think unless i moved in into the house.

craigy_87
2nd April 2007, 11:04
well abit crap no gym today was gonna go with a mate but he's off to see to his missus instead :n:
so off 2morow instead, but decided to do some free weights in the house.
suppose if i can manage to stick to the whole work out thing i'll update this with any kinda progress i make.

bullit
2nd April 2007, 12:44
if youve got some powder, you want to neck it straight after workout

craigy_87
2nd April 2007, 12:52
yup did that lol well not right after as it took me about 2 mins to find the whisk thing, mother hiding it after baking a cake lol
thought it was gonna taste rancid but was actually ok

Yates
2nd April 2007, 12:53
snort the protein, heard its the next big thing

kcsaxo
2nd April 2007, 13:23
may have to sack your friend off and go by yourself mate. its sometimes better that way coz you will want to get it over and done with then piss off home knowing you had a good session. if you want a good tasting protein shake give prolab a try or optimum nutrition. the best one so far is dymatize in butter cream flavour!

craigy_87
19th May 2007, 14:32
ok av made a little progress am not gonna lie i havnt been training as much as i should, i missed about a week or so due to exams an other college stuff.
i found a pic which i think is me at my worst (excuse the hair i was jus out the shower an it was needing cut)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/craigy_87/29032007181.jpg

pretty terrible you gotta agree

an here is more recent pictures (one out of focus forgot to focus my camera phone)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/craigy_87/19052007440.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/craigy_87/19052007441.jpg

still nowhere near as good as i like but am still working at it.
need to work on my shoulders more, what kind of exercise should i be doing for them?

kcsaxo
19th May 2007, 15:08
shoulders:
front -
dumbell presses
barbell upright rows
straight-arm front raise

side -
straight-arm dumbell side raise

rear -
bent-over dumbbell raise

craigy_87
19th May 2007, 15:15
cheers for that mate :y:

Predator_R32
20th May 2007, 01:15
dips are a good exercise for shoulders and pecs :y:

Clone
20th May 2007, 09:33
You don't look 10stone mate, you look more.... :)

bullit
20th May 2007, 12:51
to beef shoulder do lots of presses. front, rear with either bar or dumbell. low reps heavy weight

craigy_87
20th May 2007, 13:06
You don't look 10stone mate, you look more.... :)

you sayin i'm a chubber lol jus kiddin

an thanks for all the other info aswell guys :y:

Clone
20th May 2007, 14:03
you sayin i'm a chubber lol jus kiddin

an thanks for all the other info aswell guys :y:

Lol not at all mate, just not thin.